PDA

View Full Version : Court Rules Obese Dad 'Unfit' to Parent, Kids Placed Up for Adoption

aGameOfThrones
06-22-2012, 04:47 PM
For the past year, the boys have been in foster care, taken from their mother's home after her suspected overdose and mental breakdown, CTV reports. Because of their father's history of legal problems stemming from accounts of public fights and threats, they were placed in the care of the Children's Aid Society.

But over the course of a year, the father has been trying to rectify his past and earn the right to care for his own children. While he admits he hasn't been a model parent on paper, he's convinced it's his struggle with obesity, not his past anger issues, that's left him childless.

While the judge in the case hasn't released an official statement, a doctor's report submitted to the court backs up the dad's claim. The assessment by a clinic adviser warns the man has "struggled with obesity for years, which impacts significantly on most aspects of his life including [his] functioning as a parent." It continues: "He was short of breath or winded in simply walking short distances about the clinic and he lacks both the mobility and stamina required to keep up with young and active children."

But since his custody battle began, the father claims to have already lost 150 pounds and hopes to lose more. Weight shouldn't be the deciding factor in whether a person can parent, claims the dad, though he does believe in living a healthier lifestyle.

"I believe every obese parent out there needs to understand that the quality of life will improve dramatically through weight loss," he told a CTV reporter.

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/obese-dad-loses-custody-kids-could-parents-lose-181700293.html

CaptUSA
06-22-2012, 04:56 PM
This kind of thing drives me insane!

There is never a reason to take kids away from their parents! Ever! This is not the state's job.

If there is a problem where the state can prove that a parent is mistreating a child, and I did say "prove", then they should take the parent away as they are the ones who committed a crime. You take the parent and put them in jail for violating the rights of the child. Then look for a suitable family member to take custody. If there is none available, then finally, you may place the child in foster care until the parent is released.

This is the proper method to deal with bad parenting. Forget the weight issue, it doesn't matter!

Anti Federalist
06-22-2012, 05:01 PM
The children belong to the state, Mundane.

You are just a temporary caretaker, exercising that role at our discretion.

This kind of thing drives me insane!

There is never a reason to take kids away from their parents! Ever! This is not the state's job.

If there is a problem where the state can prove that a parent is mistreating a child, and I did say "prove", then they should take the parent away as they are the ones who committed a crime. You take the parent and put them in jail for violating the rights of the child. Then look for a suitable family member to take custody. If there is none available, then finally, you may place the child in foster care until the parent is released.

This is the proper method to deal with bad parenting. Forget the weight issue, it doesn't matter!

heavenlyboy34
06-22-2012, 05:14 PM
The children belong to the state, Mundane.

You are just a temporary caretaker, exercising that role at our discretion.
This^^ Your SSN is how they identify their property. :(

liberdom
06-22-2012, 07:58 PM
is anybody ever unfit to be a parent?

Anti Federalist
06-22-2012, 08:13 PM

"Unfit" is like "rich".

Totally and utterly subjective.

Absent clear, demonstrable, provable abuse with all the protections of law to the accused (no "family courts") the state has no right to remove children from their parents.

I could claim you were an "unfit" parent if you did not provide a Lexus and Harvard tution at 18 for your child.

susano
06-22-2012, 08:17 PM
Until that day that a proper revolution commences and the control freaks find themselves up against the wall, they need to beaten at their own game. Therefore, I submit that fat people need to be declared disabled so the ADA will prevent them from being targeted due to their weight.

liberdom
06-22-2012, 08:19 PM
"Unfit" is like "rich".

Totally and utterly subjective.

Absent clear, demonstrable, provable abuse with all the protections of law to the accused (no "family courts") the state has no right to remove children from their parents.

That'll never happen, because that's utterly subjective.

I could claim you were an "unfit" parent if you did not provide a Lexus and Harvard tution at 18 for your child.
I believe many already have.

ghengis86
06-22-2012, 08:50 PM
This^^ Your SSN is how they identify their property. :(

Lol...and if your children don't have SSNs?

Fuck you, state. You have no claim in my children.

aGameOfThrones
06-22-2012, 09:43 PM

YORK, Pa. — They lived outside society, hidden from the world in a squalid row house with no heat, electricity or running water. They had no birth certificates, no schooling, no immunizations or evidence of medical care _ nothing whatsoever to prove their existence. (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?270631-Police-Pa.-couple-hid-5-children-from-society&highlight=Pennsylvania)

QuickZ06
06-22-2012, 09:49 PM
NEXT UP ON FOX! Fatties are not allowed to have sex!

angelatc
06-22-2012, 10:01 PM

Nope.

heavenlyboy34
06-22-2012, 10:07 PM

Vee shall take zem at gunpoint!
http://iranpoliticsclub.net/history/nazis1/images/Hitler%20Nazi%20Salute.jpg