PDA

View Full Version : Any Slashdotters here?

plb
11-16-2007, 07:11 PM
Perhaps we should start submitting stories to the /. The USA Today Ad would be a good start.

280Z28
11-16-2007, 07:14 PM
On the day it comes out it'd be interesting. :)

Ron LOL
11-16-2007, 07:15 PM
Don't pollute /. with RP stories unless they're YRO or otherwise /. friendly.

280Z28
11-16-2007, 07:19 PM
Don't pollute /. with RP stories unless they're YRO or otherwise /. friendly.

I thought there was a personal blog section or something?

tjasond
11-16-2007, 07:43 PM
Not a good idea until the 16th fundraiser, if all goes as planned. If it is submitted, it needs to have an emphasis on the online element (most raised online in a single day for a candidate). I'm surprised that no stories surfaced regarding November 5th, but that is not worth dwelling on at this point. Focus on the 16th, and when it comes together, word it well, submit it and rally everyone to the Slashdot firehose. If you inundate slashdot with Paul stories, it will backfire very badly.

fcofer
11-16-2007, 10:08 PM
I'm a long-time Slashdotter, and I think that we should proceed with caution for two reasons, because, IMO, the majority of people on Slashdot already know about Paul and have already formed a strong opinion about him one way or another. Flooding Slashdot with story submissions is only going to draw the enmity of people who like Paul but don't want politics mixed with their geek news.

I've been wrestling with the idea of a Dec. 16th submission, because that definitely IS the sort of story that would fit on Slashdot (Internet-based fundraising). However, would we really want to subject the servers to the Slashdot effect on the donation day? I can imagine thousands of slashdotters devoting a corner of [one of] their desktops to a browser watching the moneybomb, each sucking down bandwidth unconcernedly. . .

Tidewise
11-16-2007, 10:28 PM
Long time Slashdotter here as well (excellent Karma, thank you). It would be my guess that virtually every Slashdotter already knows about Ron Paul. Any submissions should have a true /. angle.

tjasond
11-16-2007, 10:31 PM
I've been wrestling with the idea of a Dec. 16th submission, because that definitely IS the sort of story that would fit on Slashdot (Internet-based fundraising). However, would we really want to subject the servers to the Slashdot effect on the donation day?

Not on the donation day, but the day after. I agree that a lot of posters are well informed on the issues, but readers are another story. I think we can agree that it is certainly not the forum to promote the 16th, however it is the perfect forum to celebrate it once it is finished. The key is to have one story that we can all agree on and submit/vote for. As for the slashdot effect concerns, that is really all that one can hope for. The campaign is well aware of the 16th, and I have no doubts that they will be prepared for the onslaught of web traffic.

slantedview
11-16-2007, 10:35 PM
I'm a long-time Slashdotter, and I think that we should proceed with caution for two reasons, because, IMO, the majority of people on Slashdot already know about Paul and have already formed a strong opinion about him one way or another. Flooding Slashdot with story submissions is only going to draw the enmity of people who like Paul but don't want politics mixed with their geek news.

I've been wrestling with the idea of a Dec. 16th submission, because that definitely IS the sort of story that would fit on Slashdot (Internet-based fundraising). However, would we really want to subject the servers to the Slashdot effect on the donation day? I can imagine thousands of slashdotters devoting a corner of [one of] their desktops to a browser watching the moneybomb, each sucking down bandwidth unconcernedly. . .

i'd say, yeah, if it makes them donate.

fcofer
11-16-2007, 10:52 PM
i'd say, yeah, if it makes them donate.

Well, certainly, if that were the case. ;) But I say, if we submit a story about the moneybomb, we should do it at least two days in advance before the 16th, so that we don't add a ridiculous amount of bandwidth consumption from mere curiosity-seekers (who are myriad among Slashdot's readership).

I do want to re-emphasize the point that most of Slashdot knows about Paul, and not just the posters. I've been a registered Slashdot member since 1998, and I have yet to make my first post. (This is one of the only public forums on which I've ever posted.) You can't get through the stories without finding a mention of Ron Paul every now and then. As a matter of fact, this is how I discovered Paul back in the spring.

Perhaps we should try to get a story, because there are many Paul supporters who read Slashdot but who are unaware of the plans for the 16th. But I don't know if it would be worth it or not to submit the story on the 16th itself -- it would certainly be Slashdot-worthy news, but I just don't have much faith in the official campaign's management of their web host. I am worried enough about how the servers will hold up on the 16th without adding the Slashdot effect to the equation.

robatsu
11-16-2007, 11:58 PM
Waste of time on /. I'm on there pretty frequently & if Paul hasn't reached those Internet saturated folks, piling one more story on their doorstep is just going to irritate.

user
11-17-2007, 12:10 AM
Ron Paul won the presidential poll (best for nerds or something like that) but I don't think the story about the 5th reached the front page. Maybe Taco doesn't like him? Also I think I've seen more anti-RP (and anti-libertarian) comments modded up than pro-RP comments.