PDA

View Full Version : Biker pulled over for having a helmet cam. Cop then changes his story and arrests him

green73
06-21-2012, 08:24 AM
DALLAS — It was Sunday of Memorial Day weekend, and Chris Moore — riding southbound on Stemmons Freeway in Dallas in a pack of 50 to 100 sport bikes — was pulled over while traveling below the speed limit.

"I didn't expect that at all," Moore said.

Officers were out in force that weekend, working to prevent another shutdown of a Dallas freeway like the one on Memorial Day weekend 2011 that ultimately led to three arrests.

So why was Moore pulled over?

Dallas Deputy Sheriff James Westbrook said he wanted to see what was on Moore's camera.

MOORE: "Was I doing something wrong? What am I being pulled over for?"

WESTBROOK: "The whole group of you guys."

MOORE: "No. I was not, individually. How can you pull me over?"

WESTBROOK: "The reason you're being pulled over is because I'm gonna take your camera and we're gonna use it as evidence of the crimes that have been committed by other bikers."

continues w/ video
http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/Motorcyclist-says-dallas-crackdown-went-too-far-159671765.html

tod evans
06-21-2012, 08:31 AM
First they came for the Harley riders, But you weren't one..

Mini-vans and pick-ups?

Volvos and BMWs?

jkr
06-21-2012, 09:02 AM
when is enough?

Weston White
06-21-2012, 09:05 AM
In such a situation what would you consider a reasonable response to protect yourself? For example:

Sheriff Westbrook, at this time I am informing you that you do not have my permission to remove any property from my personal possession; however, if you honestly feel that you have established probable cause for acquiring a search and seizure warrant specifically against me, to which you also had a reasonable and articulable suspicion of wrongdoing to commence this traffic stop on me, then I now am informing you that you have 15-30 minutes to detain me while you acquire and deliver said warrant into my hands; otherwise after that allotted period of time has expired you can either charge me with whatever crime you determine or you will be legally obligated to release me.

Sheriff Westbrook, that instance of a concealed license plate is either a simple fix-it-ticket or otherwise a citation (i.e., an infraction-cite-and-release), regardless that in itself is not an arrestable offense.

Sheriff Westbrook, if you are seriously intending to arrest me for this simple vehicle code violation, prior to you making your arrest, I must demand that you call your supervisor to this scene as I am gravely concerned that you are now acting entirely outside of your granted powers of law enforcement. Additionally, I will need to see a full copy of the specific sections of public law that you are now charging me under.

Sheriff Westbrook, I am afraid that I cannot permit you the ability to violate my constitutionally protected rights, rights of which, you have affirmed a professional duty to uphold and to which you have been bonded by.

Mr. Westbrook I further take this opportunity to remind you that your position is one of public safety and not one of personal vendetta or vengeance, neither is your type of "justice" to be served under color of law.

donnay
06-21-2012, 09:19 AM
continues w/ video
http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/Motorcyclist-says-dallas-crackdown-went-too-far-159671765.html

Why am I not surprised. I was down in Texas for Memorial Day and the cops were out in full force saying "Click it - Ticket." and "We will be getting any drivers who drive drunk."

They need their revenue! :rolleyes:

tod evans
06-21-2012, 09:21 AM
Just like the fellow in the video, you'd get maybe a few sentences out and SLAM the door's shut on your mouthy ass.

Logic is no match for brutality with a gun/badge and back-up.

In such a situation what would you consider a reasonable response to protect yourself? For example:

Sheriff Westbrook, at this time I am informing you that you do not have my permission to remove any property from my personal possession; however, if you honestly feel that you have established probable cause for acquiring a search and seizure warrant specifically against me, to which you also had a reasonable and articulable suspicion of wrongdoing to commence this traffic stop on me, then I now am informing you that you have 15-30 minutes to detain me while you acquire and deliver said warrant into my hands; otherwise after that allotted period of time has expired you can either charge me with whatever crime you determine or you will be legally obligated to release me.

Sheriff Westbrook, that instance of a concealed license plate is either a simple fix-it-ticket or otherwise a citation (i.e., an infraction-cite-and-release), regardless that in itself is not an arrestable offense.

Sheriff Westbrook, if you are seriously intending to arrest me for this simple vehicle code violation, prior to you making your arrest, I must demand that you call your supervisor to this scene as I am gravely concerned that you are now acting entirely outside of your granted powers of law enforcement. Additionally, I will need to see a full copy of the specific sections of public law that you are now charging me under.

Sheriff Westbrook, I am afraid that I cannot permit you the ability to violate my constitutionally protected rights, rights of which, you have affirmed a professional duty to uphold and to which you have been bonded by.

Mr. Westbrook I further take this opportunity to remind you that your position is one of public safety and not one of personal vendetta or vengeance, neither is your type of "justice" to be served under color of law.

Weston White
06-21-2012, 09:46 AM
Just like the fellow in the video, you'd get maybe a few sentences out and SLAM the door's shut on your mouthy ass.

Logic is no match for brutality with a gun/badge and back-up.

Many courts have ruled that once a peace officer has acted outside of their lawful authority, they are no longer functioning in consideration to the law they are presumably present to uphold, and are thereby no different than any other criminal and are to be treated as such, and one may use whatever reasonable force to escape from the danger or victimization being imposed by that individual, even if that force results in fatal consequences for the perpetrator.

In all cases, whatever the case is to be, it is utterly inhuman to be forced into submission entirely without the presence of law.

tod evans
06-21-2012, 09:53 AM
So who should this fellow have summoned?

Surly not "Officer Friendlies" cronies......

[edit]

If the guy had a weapon for self defense on his side he wouldn't have got in the few words he did before being arrested.

Many courts have ruled that once a peace officer has acted outside of their lawful authority, they are no longer functioning in consideration to the law they are presumably present to uphold, and are thereby no different than any other criminal and are to be treated as such, and one may use whatever reasonable force to escape from the danger or victimization being imposed by that individual, even if that force results in fatal consequences for the perpetrator.

In all cases, whatever the case is to be, it is utterly inhuman to be forced into submission entirely without the presence of law.

Weston White
06-21-2012, 09:59 AM
So who should this fellow have summoned?

Surly not "Officer Friendlies" cronies......

[edit]

If the guy had a weapon for self defense on his side he wouldn't have got in the few words he did before being arrested.

I was just commenting, not that he should have started firing off rounds or swinging a knife around, clearly to do so would have been completely uncalled for in that scenario. Though he should have undoubtedly called for, demanded a supervisor to the scene, rather than saying (paraphrasing), "dude, dude, but dude are you serious?"

tod evans
06-21-2012, 10:03 AM
Instances like this are when the "outlaw" bike clubs have it right...

No one person pulls over, and no single cop tries.

The biggest stick rule.

Bern
06-21-2012, 10:27 AM
I have a feeling that Chris Moore is going to get paid.

AGRP
06-21-2012, 11:37 AM
This is one reason why mass transit is preferred by statists. People are easier to control.

Root
06-21-2012, 11:56 AM
I have a feeling that Chris Moore is going to get paid.
me too

buck000
06-21-2012, 12:04 PM
This seems like a perfect example of the police being able to find something to charge you with, if you give 'em enough time.

That LEO had a bit of a temper!

aGameOfThrones
06-21-2012, 12:26 PM
WESTBROOK: "The reason you're being pulled over is because I'm gonna take your camera and we're gonna use it as evidence of the crimes that have been committed by other bikers."

Biker: Officer Westbrook, aren't you breaking the law?

Westbrook: I am the LAW!