PDA

View Full Version : RULE #40? The Vice Presidential Nomination

No1butPaul
06-20-2012, 08:46 PM
Huffpo: Ron Paul's Route To Convention Chaos: The Vice Presidential Nomination

WASHINGTON -- This may be the Ron Paul gambit we've been waiting for.

An obscure rule change made four years ago by the Republican Party has opened the door for Paul forces to cause a major headache for Mitt Romney when he tries to nominate his choice for vice president at the party convention in August.

The Republican National Committee could change Rule 40 in the week leading up to the convention, but that would risk the appearance of jamming Romney's nominee through, and likely cause a subsequent backlash...

Republican officials are still waking up to the fact that Paul loyalists -- who control the majority of delegates in Maine, Minnesota and Iowa, and have sizable contingents in a number of other states -- could very likely enter Paul's name into nomination for vice president. This would force a roll call vote where each delegate of each state is polled on the floor of the convention.

Such a move would transform a symbolic procedure that has taken mere minutes in the past several conventions into a chaotic and time-consuming spectacle that could eat up the better portion of a day.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/20/ron-paul-vice-president-nomination-republican-national-convention_n_1613763.html?1340234390

Paulistinian
06-20-2012, 08:51 PM
Ill take it.

paulbot24
06-20-2012, 08:54 PM
Time for a reality check! Ben...........?

truthspeaker
06-20-2012, 08:59 PM
Wow, even though it's speculation on Huff's part, I am impressed they actually did some research and read a political party's rules.

"And while the change to Rule 40 four years ago from a majority requirement to a plurality requirement also applies to the presidential nomination, it is more relevant to the vice presidential pick. That's because delegates who are bound by state party rules to vote for Romney -- a restriction some are disputing -- are not bound at all on the question of who should be the vice presidential nominee."

The bigger question is--would Dr. Paul ever want to be VP of Romney?

CPUd
06-20-2012, 09:00 PM
I've always thought the campaign has been angling to use this in the event they can't stop romney from getting to 1144. Think about when they give slates at the conventions that are not what the grassroots had planned on voting on, making deals, etc. They may have a VP in mind and know these delegates would vote for the VP, though they may not vote for Ron as President.

ClydeCoulter
06-20-2012, 09:04 PM
aahahaahahahaahahahaahahahahahahaha, crap :)

CPUd
06-20-2012, 09:07 PM
So what happens to a VP candidate if the Pres. candidate drops off the ticket?

RDM
06-20-2012, 09:12 PM
So what happens to a VP candidate if the Pres. candidate drops off the ticket?

Better question: What happens to a VP candidate if the Pres. candidate is facing criminal charges?

paulbot24
06-20-2012, 09:15 PM
Interesting that the GOP and Team Romney with their millions of dollars and hundreds of attorneys can't decipher their own "arcane" rules. The same rules that Ron doesn't even need to reach for his reading glasses about. This just gets better and better.

NoOneButPaul
06-20-2012, 09:48 PM
They just now realized the delegates pick the VP?

I don't care how badly Ron asks us to pick Rand, PICK RON! a 1/6 chance is better than no chance at all...

CPUd
06-20-2012, 09:51 PM
They just now realized the delegates pick the VP?

I don't care how badly Ron asks us to pick Rand, PICK RON! a 1/6 chance is better than no chance at all...

I think most knew, but in recent history, it has been done 'unanimously' by acclamation.

ClydeCoulter
06-20-2012, 09:51 PM
Interesting that the GOP and Team Romney with their millions of dollars and hundreds of attorneys can't decipher their own "arcane" rules. The same rules that Ron doesn't even need to reach for his reading glasses about. This just gets better and better.

It requires not a few lawyers to twist a single word into unrecognizable contortions that seems to make sense when spoken by the talking heads.

ChristopherShelley
06-20-2012, 10:14 PM
Time for a reality check! Ben...........?

Lol. We need a Ben button like in the old Staples commercials.

BEN!!!

Or the Ben Signal.

Na na na na na na na na

Na na na na na na na na

BEN SWANN!!!!!

BOOF!

BAP!

Holy unbound delegates, Ben Swann!

No1butPaul
06-20-2012, 10:33 PM
I guess it would be the best last-resort, huh? Do you think the press would still ignore him? :rolleyes: Though, I must say, very interesting the time they gave him today on MSNBC -- it kind of feels like something is going on ...kind of like they are realizing the good doctor has them by the ... now cough.

CPUd
06-20-2012, 10:41 PM
I guess it would be the best last-resort, huh? Do you think the press would still ignore him? :rolleyes: Though, I must say, very interesting the time they gave him today on MSNBC -- it kind of feels like something is going on ...kind of like they are realizing the good doctor has them by the ... now cough.

Some of the MSM are getting wary of the 'get delegates to influence the platform' strategy.

alucard13mmfmj
06-21-2012, 03:30 AM
I dont care if Ron is the VP... Good for us. Guess what? That means Ron gets unprecedented MAINSTREAM media attention for interview/debates. Even if Romney/Ron Paul ticket loses, Ron could potentially reach millions more americans and educate them about the constitution.

However, the main stream media could do to Ron Paul what they did to Sarah Palin in 2008. At anyrate...

Romney/Neocon ticket loses = blame ron paul
Romney/ Ron Paul ticket loses = blame ron paul
Ron Paul/liberty VP loses = blame ron paul
Ron Paul/liberty VP starting to win = rig election for democrat = blame ron paul

Ron Paul is in a lose-lose situation. However, Ron can make the most of it and does what he does best. He can educate! VP candidate or VP seat is a good education platform to speak.

I think Ron knows Romney would lose anways and wouldn't hurt to be ROmney's VP just to continue his quest.

While it would be great if Ron Paul wins the GOP nomination... One can't help but imagine what might come out of the RNC otherwise. If he can get nomination, great. If he cant... well we gotta get something substantial!

ProBlue33
06-21-2012, 06:27 AM
This quote from the article

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/20/ron-paul-vice-president-nomination-republican-national-convention_n_1613763.html?utm_hp_ref=elections-2012

Yet, the legitimate prospect of a floor fight has not yet surfaced until now.

And while the change to Rule 40 four years ago from a majority requirement to a plurality requirement also applies to the presidential nomination, it is more relevant to the vice presidential pick. That's because delegates who are bound by state party rules to vote for Romney -- a restriction some are disputing -- are not bound at all on the question of who should be the vice presidential nominee.

Can you imagine that vote, that would be fun to watch?

mosquitobite
06-21-2012, 07:23 AM
I will be watching the convention for the first time in my life!

I hope the TV sponsors are ready! LOL!

CaptUSA
06-21-2012, 07:37 AM
Just remember, that the interesting part of this convention will not be the people selected, but the platform.

Understanding that platforms usually mean very little when it comes to governing, this year will be different. We will have enough influence to construct a very strict platform and it will be very easy to hold those politicians accountable that stray from it. You won't be seeing most of the fun on network TV or cable news. C-Span may give you nice insights to what is happening, though.

My hope is that those in the liberty movement that have been feeling down lately, will be able to finally realized what has been accomplished this year!

sailingaway
06-21-2012, 09:00 AM
I think we need to get the Louisiana videos viral. With five states he is in nomination for PRESIDENT much less VP. But either gets him a speech, I should hope, that isn't edited.

But the Louisiana videos are clear that we won, we just need some editing to explain to the less knowlegeable what they are seeing procedurally. And the binding applies ONLY On the ballot vote for president -- not on the nomination vote.

So nominate. For president.

Heck, then nominate again, for VP.

Two speeches...

No1butPaul
06-21-2012, 09:11 AM
...duplicate

thesnake742
06-21-2012, 09:12 AM
First line of this is very telling. It is an unspoken truth that everyone is holding their breath and waiting for the other shoe to drop in response to everything we have done.

No1butPaul
06-21-2012, 09:14 AM
The latest (from Drudge yesterday) is that Pawlenty is @ the top of Romney's VP list -- can you even imagine? Wasn't he the first GOP presidential candidate to drop out for lack of support/funds? Further, Ron won Pawlenty's state of Minnesota. (No wonder some people say the republicans want to lose.) Seems like this would be good for rule #40 though because who in their right mind would back Pawlenty as VP?

Still, agree w/Sailing first priority:

I think we need to get the Louisiana videos viral. With five states he is in nomination for PRESIDENT much less VP. But either gets him a speech, I should hope, that isn't edited.

But the Louisiana videos are clear that we won, we just need some editing to explain to the less knowlegeable what they are seeing procedurally. And the binding applies ONLY On the ballot vote for president -- not on the nomination vote.

So nominate. For president.

Aratus
06-21-2012, 05:49 PM
there is a fundraiser shindig in utah that the top gop veep choises for mitt are going to be at...