PDA

View Full Version : TX-Just when I think it is impossible to try and get people to understand.

Anti Federalist
06-20-2012, 01:19 PM
Something like this comes along.

Jurors voice thoughts on Texas drug law in court

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/in_focus&id=8707381

HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A juror's job is to decide guilt or innocence. We don't ask them to make the law. But last week in a Harris County courtroom, dozens of potential jurors said a Texas drug law is no good, and no matter how strong the evidence, they wouldn't convict.

"I wouldn't say it was that different from another type of possession case," prosecutor Sedric Walker said.

But after it was done, it was far from any other case.

"It was a wow moment," defense attorney Todd Dupont said.

Israel Rangel was charged with possession of less than a gram of cocaine. Cops said he had half as much coke as there is Sweet'N Low in a single packet.

When citizens showed up in court to pick a jury, it started the way all cases do.

"The prosecutor asked a question to the first 65 people," Dupont said.

"The jurors if they believed beyond a reasonable doubt that the offense was committed, would they convict?" Walker said.

"I was surprised, first of all, of the bluntness of the question," juror Lou Ellen Wheeler said.

But Wheeler - who was eventually picked for the jury - was even more surprised by the answers.

She said yes, but 50 out of 130 jurors said no, they would not convict someone even if it was proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

"I was surprised it was that many," Walker said.

One juror was more blunt than the others.

"She said, 'I can't believe I had to get in my car and come down here for this,'" Dupont said.

"It says there is a segment of the population that doesn't think small possession cases should be punished as severely as the law call for them to be," Assistant District Attorney Julian Ramirez said.

This isn't a so-called trace case, the DA says she won't prosecute. A trace is equal to single grain of equal; this was 40 times that. The law is clear.

"It's against the law," Ramirez said.

But Rangel's defense lawyer says something else is clear too.

"They said they weren't going to make somebody a felon and ruin their lives over less than a gram of cocaine," Dupont said.

Rangel was found not guilty.

Wheeler says it was weak evidence was weak, not the amount of drugs that did it.

But she did tell us, "Given our government is struggling with resources that possibly it was not the best judgment call to have brought a case with such weak evidence to a jury trial."

The DA's office warns that one case isn't a sea change. But do remember this was a campaign issue and the DA's Republican opponent Mike Anderson who beat Pat Lykos says not only would he prosecute cases like this, but cases with far less drug evidence.

Bern
06-20-2012, 01:24 PM
50 out of 130? Damn straight. Love the blunt juror.

aGameOfThrones
06-20-2012, 02:08 PM
"It says there is a segment of the population that doesn't think small possession cases should be punished as severely as the law call for them to be," Assistant District Attorney Julian Ramirez said.

Kinda like this poor fool...

Felipe Perez Perez will face trial for stealing a neighbor's plantain valued at $15. The defendant is exposed to between 6 months and 3 years in prison.

http://www.elnuevodia.com/ajuicioporrobarracimodeplatanos-1282528.html

Pericles
06-20-2012, 02:14 PM
And Houston is the third most left wing city in the state.

lx43
06-20-2012, 05:26 PM
I wish C4L, FFF, Ron Paul, and others would more openly support and talk about jurying nullification.

Ronulus
06-20-2012, 05:35 PM
And Houston is the third most left wing city in the state.

Whats second?

I imagine austin is first.

San Marcos?

Kylie
06-20-2012, 05:38 PM
Chicago.

Then Madison, WI.

thoughtomator
06-20-2012, 05:50 PM
Chicago.

Then Madison, WI.

Wow, Texas is a lot bigger than it used to be.

Imperial
06-20-2012, 05:57 PM
Whats second?

San Marcos?

My guess is Austin is first and San Antonio second.

Kylie
06-20-2012, 08:37 PM
Wow, Texas is a lot bigger than it used to be.

Lol! Teach me to read at a glance.

http://ih1.redbubble.net/image.11629832.1982/pp,375x360.jpg

noneedtoaggress
06-20-2012, 08:55 PM
50 out of 130? Damn straight. Love the blunt juror.

http://instantrimshot.com/

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
06-20-2012, 09:56 PM
Regardless of what any "judge" might tell you, it is the jury who decides the facts and the law.

http://fija.org/

That is why you should never try to get out of jury duty, but instead always seek jury duty. It might be the single most important thing you can do to save someone's life, as well as the well-being of their family. The jury was once understood as an avenue to stop tyranny. That has become lost in recent times. Please check out http://fija.org/ and also mention it to friends who find jury duty to be a chore instead of an opportunity for them to decide the law on the spot.

Pericles
06-20-2012, 10:33 PM
Whats second?

San Marcos?

I'd say El Paso

AGRP
06-20-2012, 10:46 PM
One of the most important benefits of a well informed public!

Weston White
06-21-2012, 12:35 AM
Thus for reference, juries have both the run of forcing the prosecutor to use up their allotted peremptory challenges during jury selection (voir dire), as well as jury nullification as by them rendering a bucking verdict upon the court.

However, in cases where a party had earlier motioned for a Judgment as a Matter Of Law (JMOL; formerly labeled a Judgment Notwithstanding the Verdict (JNOV); also a method of directed verdict), there could be a renewed motioned made against an unfavorable verdict rendered by the jury through a Renewed Judgment as a Matter Of Law (RJMOL), which thereby enables the judge to discount the juries verdict, outright, in cases where it is determined by the judge that the verdict rendered by the jury was so unreasonable or farfetched as to the obviousness of the facts and law presented within the case. The JMOL is similar in nature to either a summary judgment or judgment on the pleadings.

Also, for additional clarification, it is for the roll of the judge (or the court) to determine and present the applicable law to the jury, while it is then for the jury to apply that law appropriately to the facts presented within that specific case, including the circumstances involved; however, the jury can make the determination that the law is unjust, inapplicable, or otherwise unreasonable, such is how the repeal of prohibition came about, through juries setting a standard of refusing to return favorable verdicts for the prosecution, e.g., so stating that although they find that the defendant violated the law they are not criminally guilty for having done so (which eventually resulted in the ratification of the XXI Amendment to thereby repeal the XVIII Amendment).

“I consider trial by jury as the only anchor yet imagined by man by which a government can be held to the principles of its constitution.” - Thomas Jefferson [In a letter to Thomas Paine, 1789.]

susano
06-21-2012, 01:09 AM
I wish C4L, FFF, Ron Paul, and others would more openly support and talk about jurying nullification.

So do I and I don't think RP will ever have the platform to talk about it that he had during the primaries.

I liked this: "I can't believe I had to get in my car and come down here for this"

hehe, good stuff. The trouble, now, is that the establishment is going to start screening for those who will nullify so if we tell the truth, we'll get booted.

John F Kennedy III
06-21-2012, 04:00 AM
So do I and I don't think RP will ever have the platform to talk about it that he had during the primaries.

I liked this: "I can't believe I had to get in my car and come down here for this"

hehe, good stuff. The trouble, now, is that the establishment is going to start screening for those who will nullify so if we tell the truth, we'll get booted.

"Stealth Jurors"

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
06-21-2012, 01:01 PM
Regardless of what any "judge" might tell you, it is the jury who decides the facts and the law.

http://fija.org/

That is why you should never try to get out of jury duty, but instead always seek jury duty. It might be the single most important thing you can do to save someone's life, as well as the well-being of their family. The jury was once understood as an avenue to stop tyranny. That has become lost in recent times. Please check out http://fija.org/ and also mention it to friends who find jury duty to be a chore instead of an opportunity for them to decide the law on the spot.

Indeed, but the lawyers should be taxed 75% to purchase their services.