PDA

View Full Version : Considering joining the Navy, check out this sentence

apc3161
11-16-2007, 06:32 PM
So I will be graduating from Duke University this May with a degree in Mechanical Engineering.

The Navy is trying to recruit me as a nuclear propulsion officer. They sent me this brochure trying to highlight the program which I have read cover to cover.

I'm going to put two quotes in here that upset me and make me not want to join the Navy.

" A number of third world countries are acquiring modern non-nuclear submarines. Countering this threat is the primary mission of the US nuclear attack submarines"

and

" Your mission: Cover the planet in support of U.S interests and commitments."

To both of these I say, " Excuse me?"

I have no problem joining the Navy in order to protect our country from serious threats, such as invasion. But when did third world countries become an issue, or actually even more than an issue, apparently they are the primary concern on the US navy. These third world countries pose absolutely no risk to us, who cares if that have submarines?

The second quote also greatly upset me, "US interests and commitments." If I was to join the navy it would be for one reason, to defend this country and nothing else.

I could care less about "US interests" (whatever those might be), and US commitments. Unless there was a direct threat against the US, I would be hard pressed to fight, especially against third world countries that have done us no harm.

I would have one commitment, defend the US and nothing else if I were in the navy. This brochure in and of itself might have dissuaded me.

Anyways I just wanted to vent all of that.

reaver
11-16-2007, 07:12 PM
http://www.ouroldnavy.com/images/navy_young_men.jpg
Times sure have changed. Those two sentences have likely been added in the past few years. It would worry me too. Other than the medical problems our foreign policy is why I didn't join any branch of the military and would send medical deferments in the event of a draft.

noxagol
11-16-2007, 11:40 PM
Don't do it.