View Full Version : Apple’s iOS 6 Includes ‘Government Alerts’

John F Kennedy III
06-18-2012, 03:35 PM
Apple’s iOS 6 Includes ‘Government Alerts’

‘Presidential alerts’ to be mandatory for all cellphone users

Paul Joseph Watson
Infowars.com
Monday, June 18, 2012

Apple’s eagerly awaited iOS 6 update for iPhones and iPads will include controversial ‘government alerts’ that some fear are part of the federal government’s takeover of communications networks.

“In compliance with the National Alerting Program, the WEA will be coming to Apple devices that will run on the new mobile OS once it arrives this fall. The iOS 6-compatible devices include iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPod Touch 4G, iPad 2 and the new iPad. This means that users with older iPhone will be able to receive WEA messages once they upgrade their handset to the new mobile software,” reports AMOG.

The federal government is keen to implement a centralized system of control over all communications, with last year’s announcement that all new cell phones will be required to comply with the PLAN program (Personal Localized Alerting Network), which will broadcast emergency alert messages directly to Americans’ cell phones.

Although users can opt out of receiving the alerts from FEMA and the Amber Alert program, messages direct from the president will be mandatory.

“Consumers will have the option….to block all PLAN alerts except for those issued by the president,” the L.A. Times reported last year.

The thought of cellphone users being forcibly targeted with text messages from Barack Obama during the election season has obviously stoked concerns that the emergency alert system could be exploited for political reasons, just as former Secretary of Homeland Security Tom Ridge claimed he was pressured to artificially raise the national terror alert by the Bush administration to help Bush win re-election.

The system, which went live in the New York and Washington Metro areas last December, caused panic in New Jersey after Verizon customers received text messages warning them that a “civil emergency” was in progress and to “take shelter,” prompting alarmed citizens to flood 911 lines with anxious calls.

Verizon Wireless later apologized to its customers for causing alarm, admitting that the confusion was caused by a “test” of the PLAN emergency alert system.

As we have documented, the PLAN program is part of the wider move on behalf of Homeland Security to create a public environment dominated by a pervasive sense of fear and paranoia, a context in which the safe exercise of constitutional freedoms doesn’t normally thrive.

The emergency alerts are eventually designed to be incorporated into the Intellistreets system which turns all street lights into surveillance hubs that can record conversations and broadcast messages.

For the first time ever the feds will have a direct line to the millions of Americans who use cell phones and be able to use the messages to transmit whatever they like, whether that be genuine safety information, fearmongering about spurious terror alerts, or political propaganda.

Judging by the response in New Jersey, the overwhelming majority of Americans will simply react by panicking, which in a real emergency situation could only make the crisis worse.

Obama Launches Total Takeover of Media: Emergency Alert System

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4ZdbiSLnv4&feature=player_embedded

original article here:
http://www.infowars.com/apples-ios-6-includes-government-alerts/

libertyfanatic
06-18-2012, 04:01 PM
As long as you can opt-out I see no problem with this.

John F Kennedy III
06-18-2012, 04:05 PM

You can't opt out of the presidential messages.

RickyJ
06-18-2012, 04:09 PM
To be alerted or not be alerted, that is the question.

If everyone else is going to know something, I would rather not be left out of the loop. Sheeple react to such alerts, so I would like to be prepared if possible to their reactions.

libertyfanatic
06-18-2012, 04:11 PM

If everyone else is going to know something, I would rather not be left out of the loop. Sheeple react to such alerts, so I would like to be prepared if possible to their reactions.
It's better to be alerted and to just take everything with a grain of salt.

CaptainAmerica
06-18-2012, 04:50 PM
Cell phones already have this intrusion and it is not an option. I expect the government to attempt intruding on everything with or without warning.

John F Kennedy III
06-18-2012, 04:57 PM
Cell phones already have this intrusion and it is not an option. I expect the government to attempt intruding on everything with or without warning.

Yep.

LibForestPaul
06-18-2012, 08:22 PM

My voluntary contract is with Verizon and Apple. Why are guns being pointed at others to force compliance? If this function is wanted by Americans, they will demand through the free market.

John F Kennedy III
06-18-2012, 10:07 PM
My voluntary contract is with Verizon and Apple. Why are guns being pointed at others to force compliance? If this function is wanted by Americans, they will demand through the free market.

Exactly. Welcome to "democracy".

liberdom
06-18-2012, 10:42 PM
You can't opt out of the presidential messages.

you are not obligated to own an iPhone.

John F Kennedy III
06-19-2012, 01:06 AM
you are not obligated to own an iPhone.

They're laying the groundwork to make this mandatory for all cellphones. Of course, you're not obligated to own a cellphone.

idiom
06-19-2012, 03:19 AM
You are using a licensed radio device. You don't have to operate it, or you don't have to operate in that locality.

We have no such emergency warning system here in New Zealand. We are much safer from tsunamis without it... er...

Verizon and Apple have a voluntary contract with the FCC.

But seriously infowars? The alert system is coming to get you?

John F Kennedy III
06-19-2012, 04:22 AM
You are using a licensed radio device. You don't have to operate it, or you don't have to operate in that locality.

We have no such emergency warning system here in New Zealand. We are much safer from tsunamis without it... er...

Verizon and Apple have a voluntary contract with the FCC.

Did you read the article?

idiom
06-19-2012, 05:22 AM
Did you read the article?

Oh... I missed the bit where people all over the world were being forced to buy iPhones and listen to Obamas speeches.

I shall read more closely next time.

DerailingDaTrain
06-19-2012, 06:57 AM
I hate Apple so I won't be buying any of their products including this one. I'll get by just fine without it.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
06-19-2012, 07:07 AM

That's kind of what I was thinking.

Although users can opt out of receiving the alerts from FEMA and the Amber Alert program, messages direct from the president will be mandatory.

This still actually made me laugh. There is simply no way to escape messages from the president. lol. It just sounds so stupid.

They're laying the groundwork to make this mandatory for all cellphones. Of course, you're not obligated to own a cellphone.

Not yet.

donnay
06-19-2012, 07:14 AM

Why does this blind dismissal of anything "Alex Jones" related make it so hard for people to get the point.

The point is that only in totalitarian regimes are people forced to listen to messages from the Dear Leader.

FFS people, it ain't that hard...

DerailingDaTrain
06-19-2012, 07:45 AM
Why does this blind dismissal of anything "Alex Jones" related make it so hard for people to get the point.

The point is that only in totalitarian regimes are people forced to listen to messages from the Dear Leader.

FFS people, it ain't that hard...

I agree with you that people shouldn't have to listen to these messages (or at the least they should have the option to turn them off) when they buy an Apple product but I disagree with you that this is totalitarian.

Totalitarian is state run media like in NK or beaming in a constant stream of Big Brother on your television like 1984. I can just not buy this product and I won't have to see the messages.

atypicalgilgamesh
06-19-2012, 08:39 AM
Do people forget about government sticking its foot in the door?

Well this is their foot sticking in the door of our cellphone privacy. While alerts may be harmless this is just the beginning.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
06-19-2012, 08:44 AM

Well this is their foot sticking in the door of our cellphone privacy. While alerts may be harmless this is just the beginning.

It depends on what the alerts are. Honestly, I don't think it's safe to assume they are harmless.

Most people keep their phones within reach every waking hour. Not to mention, when someone's phone makes a noise, they pretty much respond immediately. As far as propaganda tools go, this will be a real nice one.

KingRobbStark
06-19-2012, 08:51 AM
The nanny alert. Whats next? Baby monaters to alert them when we start crying so they can give us the bottle?

John F Kennedy III
06-19-2012, 10:31 AM
Oh... I missed the bit where people all over the world were being forced to buy iPhones and listen to Obamas speeches.

Oh I get it now. You're not capable of reading correctly or doing the research it takes to connect the dots.

John F Kennedy III
06-19-2012, 10:35 AM

This ^

John F Kennedy III
06-19-2012, 10:39 AM
It depends on what the alerts are. Honestly, I don't think it's safe to assume they are harmless.

Most people keep their phones within reach every waking hour. Not to mention, when someone's phone makes a noise, they pretty much respond immediately. As far as propaganda tools go, this will be a real nice one.

Yes it will be. It's only the beginning. They will work their way to it being mandatory on all cellphones. Then all TVs and radios. It's a government takeover of communications.

liberdom
06-19-2012, 01:01 PM

exactly!

liberdom
06-19-2012, 01:02 PM
I agree with you that people shouldn't have to listen to these messages (or at the least they should have the option to turn them off) when they buy an Apple product but I disagree with you that this is totalitarian.

Totalitarian is state run media like in NK or beaming in a constant stream of Big Brother on your television like 1984. I can just not buy this product and I won't have to see the messages.

Somehow self control escapes modern humans, so whatever you don't like scapegoat the gubmint!

liberdom
06-19-2012, 01:05 PM

Cellphone privacy is not a right guaranteed by the Constitution, and in this case, it's a private company voluntarily selling out their loyal customers.

KevinYeaux
06-19-2012, 01:24 PM
The presidential alert on the WEA system would be the same as activating the national broadcast Emergency Alert System. The same national EAS system that in fifty years of it's existence, through four major wars, two presidential assassinations, and a major attack, has never been used.

Local emergency alerts (mostly life-threatening weather alerts from the NWS and AMBER alerts) are optional.

Calm down.

EDIT: I should also say that in most jurisdictions, your local emergency management office has Reverse 911 to call all landlines in case of emergency. I've seen it used where I live during the aftermath of a hurricane. This is similar, except in text form.

RickyJ
06-19-2012, 02:44 PM

That's one of the reasons why I use Linux instead of Windows or OS X. Linux is open source and is very secure. The others aren't open source and it is much easier for Microsoft and Apple to leave holes in them on purpose so they can spy on you.