PDA

View Full Version : Iowa, Maine, Minnesota... do we have any other states w/ a major of Paul voting delegate?

plandr
06-16-2012, 05:40 PM
Thanks for any information. :-)

anaconda
06-16-2012, 05:46 PM
My burning question is: does a state that we have a majority of delegates in, even if they are bound to Mittens, COUNT for purposes of meeting the five state requirement? Like Nevada.

Richie
06-16-2012, 05:48 PM
Lousiana, Nevada, Oklahoma. Although, nobody's really sure how the dust will settle with those states. There's a chance the Paul delegations will be unseated.

cassielund99@gmail.com
06-16-2012, 05:57 PM
Thanks for any information. :-)

You forgot Minnesota, Colorado, Louisiana, Alaska (if we control santorum delegates) and Nevada. Any state where Paul control the delegates is a nomination from the floor. The bound is only for the actual vote for the President nominee.

cassielund99@gmail.com
06-16-2012, 06:02 PM
Lousiana, Nevada, Oklahoma. Although, nobody's really sure how the dust will settle with those states. There's a chance the Paul delegations will be unseated.
I tell you if they try to unseat any delegates at the GOP convention including Oklahoma will be the biggest mistake the GOP ever does. I already think there will be at least half million people there for the convention outside. I think they are low balling the amount of people that will be there for the Paul fest.

MarcusI
06-16-2012, 06:09 PM
I have no hope for Oklahoma, to be honest. But Colorado majority/plurality is depending only on three or four Santorum delegates, which seem to have promised something. This may end up well.

MarcusI
06-16-2012, 06:11 PM
My burning question is: does a state that we have a majority of delegates in, even if they are bound to Mittens, COUNT for purposes of meeting the five state requirement? Like Nevada.

I think in Nevada its important that we control the delegation chair. This may very well end up good for us.

parocks
06-16-2012, 06:18 PM
I tell you if they try to unseat any delegates at the GOP convention including Oklahoma will be the biggest mistake the GOP ever does. I already think there will be at least half million people there for the convention outside. I think they are low balling the amount of people that will be there for the Paul fest.

The people will be there for the Ron Paul speech on Sunday night. It's unclear whether the speech will be at Paul Fest. Paul Fest is looking useful, but might not turn out to be. Right now, you can park an RV at Tampa Fairgrounds for all 7 days for under $300.

WhistlinDave
06-16-2012, 06:45 PM

The way the rules are worded, it appears the answer is yes.

http://www.gop.com/images/legal/2008_RULES_Adopted.pdf

(b) Each candidate for nomination for
President of the United States and Vice President of the
United States shall demonstrate the support of a
plurality of the delegates from each of five (5) or more
states, severally, prior to the presentation of the name of
that candidate for nomination.

This is from Rule 40. It says "shall demonstrate the support of a plurality of the delegates from..." not "shall demonstrate a plurality of bound delegate votes from..." So I think even in states where the delegates are "bound" to vote Romney on the first ballot (if that doesn't get nullified by the lawsuit against the RNC), if a plurality of the delegates are Ron Paul supporters then that state can be one of the five needed to place his name into nomination. I'm not a lawyer though, just giving you my best, most logical attempt to interpret what the rules appear to say.

sailingaway
06-16-2012, 07:00 PM
They are voting on different issues. On the first (or specified) ballot of voting for candidates is the ONLY time some are called bound. The NOMINATION is a different vote, and you need five states for that. While Romney and the party are frantically challenging all in credentials committees, Ron's states I would expect to be able to vote on the nomination are:

Minnesota
Maine
Iowa
Louisiana
Nevada

that is even if the Colorado alliance falls through where Santa bound delegates said they would vote for Ron.

Then for general motions there are a handful of other states where Ron has less than majority but a big chunk and would only need a few delegates bound to other candidates to support the issues Ron supports to be one of the SIX states needed to bring and second motions in general. Those include Colorado, Alaska, Virginia and if we get our delegates back, Massachusetts, possibly others. That is according to my tracking of them, in any event.