PDA

View Full Version : Will 'our' young people actually vote?

ConstitutionGal
11-16-2007, 04:59 PM
Just a few minutes ago on CNN's "The Situation Room" they played a piece about young voters. They only showed THREE candidates, Obama, Hillary and, you guessed it, Ron Paul!!! The piece was questioning whether the support of the younger voters will actually transfer into real votes come election day(s).

They pointed out that historically only about 1 in 5 of the 18- to 24-year-old foks actually show up at the polls even though they provide energy and enthusiam to the campaigns early on.

I think that Ron Paul's younger supports WILL show up at the polls (but I've been wrong before). I would like to get the input of those of you in the 18 to 24 crowd about this - do you think your age group is actually engaged enough to take the time to actually get out and vote and I'm not just talking about those of you who regularly post here - I'm talking about the 18 to 24 year old supporters in general.

I don't think I'm just being optimistic but I think we need to hear from the actual folks that may be involved.

Ron Paul Fan
11-16-2007, 05:00 PM
Yes.

JosephTheLibertarian
11-16-2007, 05:01 PM
Just a few minutes ago on CNN's "The Situation Room" they played a piece about young voters. They only showed THREE candidates, Obama, Hillary and, you guessed it, Ron Paul!!! The piece was questioning whether the support of the younger voters will actually transfer into real votes come election day(s).

They pointed out that historically only about 1 in 5 of the 18- to 24-year-old foks actually show up at the polls even though they provide energy and enthusiam to the campaigns early on.

I think that Ron Paul's younger supports WILL show up at the polls (but I've been wrong before). I would like to get the input of those of you in the 18 to 24 crowd about this - do you think your age group is actually engaged enough to take the time to actually get out and vote and I'm not just talking about those of you who regularly post here - I'm talking about the 18 to 24 year old supporters in general.

I don't think I'm just being optimistic but I think we need to hear from the actual folks that may be involved.

I saw it.

Vvick727
11-16-2007, 05:02 PM
Hopefully. Our supporters actually know the importance of getting Dr. Paul elected, so hopefully that translates.

280Z28
11-16-2007, 05:03 PM
If we're showing up like this to the straw polls...

American
11-16-2007, 05:04 PM
Well I still try and find it hard to believe that someone would donate money to a campaign then not vote.

I know I went through a drive through the other day by a local college and the girl there went onto tell me she had just went to register the other day so she could vote for Ron Paul, so I hope this isnt an issue.

If we hadnt raised all that money, then I would question it, like the Obama fund raiser today. Wanted 5 million and I dont think they broke 10k, should be interesting for Obama and young voters

Cali4RonPaul
11-16-2007, 05:05 PM
yes i will i am between 18-24 i will vote.

ratsbew
11-16-2007, 05:05 PM
I probably will not vote because I am too lazy.

ConstitutionGal
11-16-2007, 05:06 PM

troll....:D

Cali4RonPaul
11-16-2007, 05:06 PM

thats sad.

Tenbatsu
11-16-2007, 05:07 PM
I will definitely vote.

Danny Molina
11-16-2007, 05:08 PM
When I turned 18 I voted in 04 and again in the 06 midterms. I'm 21 right now and I wouldn't miss the 08 election for anything.

ratsbew
11-16-2007, 05:09 PM

thats sad.

Sad but true.

jgmaynard
11-16-2007, 05:10 PM
I have a neocon friend (who, BTW, used to keep talking about how Ron couldn't win and he hasn't been talking about that at all lately ;) ) who keeps saying he's going to vote, and keeps forgetting. So, that's one Rudy vote staying home on election day. LOL. ;)

JM

Bradley in DC
11-16-2007, 05:11 PM
THAT is the $25,000 question...then again, the younger voters won't get the reference. <Sigh> Curling up in a blanket on the couch now because I can't find my cane. :D

When I was your age, Pluto was a planet. ;)

ConstitutionGal
11-16-2007, 05:12 PM
Well I still try and find it hard to believe that someone would donate money to a campaign then not vote.

I know I went through a drive through the other day by a local college and the girl there went onto tell me she had just went to register the other day so she could vote for Ron Paul, so I hope this isnt an issue.

If we hadnt raised all that money, then I would question it, like the Obama fund raiser today. Wanted 5 million and I dont think they broke 10k, should be interesting for Obama and young voters

I'm wondering about the ones who maybe haven't donated but who are saying they support the good Doctor. I know I'd like to see a break-down of the age-brackets of all those who have donated to the campaign althouth I know that isn't possible. Of those on this forum, I'd say the under 40 group probably represented themselves very well but, I have to think that (simply due to larger incomes) that the over 35 or 40 crowd is making up the bulk of the donations overall. Point is, everybody is always worrying about whether us older folks will be are are supporting Dr. Paul while assuming that the younger folks are. The 'news' piece I referenced went on to say that in the 2004 elections, there were about 50 million 18 - 24 year olds eligible to vote but on 7 million actually did so. I think we need to continually go after ALL age groups to garner their support and not just those that are typically considered the 'republican base' even though the younger folks are generally more Internet active. Am I making ANY sense here whatsoever? :confused:

JMO
11-16-2007, 05:13 PM
I will vote. i will admit that i missed one election once because i was too tired from work. however i have never been as committed to a candidate as i have been to Ron Paul. not even the runs will keep me from voting this election.

ckhagen
11-16-2007, 05:14 PM
I'm 24 and I've voted in every election (local, state, and Federal, including primaries) since turning 18.

happyphilter
11-16-2007, 05:16 PM
I don't know, I really got a lot of video games to play in my moms basement. The light also hurts my eyes, but we will see.

American
11-16-2007, 05:18 PM
When the time comes we should organize groups or voting events to get people out an vote.

Lets think of the most common reason why people dont vote and address it.

Pizza party after you vote, etc...Kegger AFTER you vote...:)

Hell it could be a big farewell party for the meetup groups, Election day would end the meetup groups I Would think.

spivey378
11-16-2007, 05:20 PM
keg party after you vote for sure.

raffle for ipods, wii's etc

Smiley Gladhands
11-16-2007, 05:20 PM
I'm 26 and those who I've convinced to support Ron Paul are DEFINITELY going to vote. It's hard to get them to donate (at all....even at $10 they'd rather listen to my droning on about donating than pony up the 10 bucks).....and it's hard to get them to go to any events.....but they will DEFINITELY vote because I am going to be calling every single one of them and will go whip them if they don't go vote. And they know it, so they will probably pre-empt my whippin by just goin ahead and votin.

My impression is there is at least 1 super-hardcore jazzed up Ron Pauler in each circle of Ron Paul-supporting friends (the Alpha Pauler, I call him/her). The Alpha Pauler must instill that sense of urgeny in the group....and as the certified Alpha Pauler in my group, they all know that not only will they be voting, but they will be waiting until the precint convention afterward so they can help out with any delegate voting that is taking place afterwards. Or else they get whipped.

:)

lynnf
11-16-2007, 05:26 PM
I'm not of that age group, but I can say that at the Texas Straw Poll, there were a bunch of them there and they couldn't even vote there! that says something.

lynn

happyphilter
11-16-2007, 05:29 PM
keg party after you vote for sure.

raffle for ipods, wii's etc

Good idea, lets get some kegs together and celebrate our right to vote! I'm actually concidering this for me and my friends now lol

Wyle
11-16-2007, 05:42 PM
DId I hear keg party after the vote? lets use my garage as a meet up :) I already have the kegs...

think they will let me use my garage as a polling statiON :)

http://a381.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/94/l_92dce9899d1071012b2a1714070f64e4.jpg

JosephTheLibertarian
11-16-2007, 05:44 PM
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/CMAG/938-022~Marijuana-Posters.jpg

jake
11-16-2007, 05:46 PM

:D

they are in for a BIG surprise for turnout for Ron Paul.

bew2005
11-16-2007, 05:47 PM

I am a 24 year old law student. Nearly all of my friends are voting for Ron Paul and are extremely entusiastic about him (21-25 yrs old). I don't know if you could keep us from the polls with a stick!

transistor
11-16-2007, 05:48 PM
i'd walk 20 miles to vote for ron paul

JosephTheLibertarian
11-16-2007, 05:51 PM
I am a 24 year old law student. Nearly all of my friends are voting for Ron Paul and are extremely entusiastic about him (21-25 yrs old). I don't know if you could keep us from the polls with a stick!

they only poll 2004 voters ;)

freelance
11-16-2007, 05:52 PM

Well then, you find someone in North Dakota who will take you to the polls!

bew2005
11-16-2007, 05:52 PM
they only poll 2004 voters ;)

lol, I don't have a single friend who owns a land line. Not one.

freelance
11-16-2007, 05:53 PM

Terrific. Will you send an e-mail to those friends, and make sure that everyone has a ride to the polls?

Austin
11-16-2007, 05:53 PM
You can bet that I'll show up. I'm also running for a delegate position.

Ron Paul in 2008
11-16-2007, 06:09 PM

All of the youth support for democratic candidates is from minorities. They overwhelmingly support their candidates but they never vote for them. Lots of the support from white youth is they are apathetic and apolitical and while they support Kerry or some democrat they do not vote. This is not the case with Ron Paul. I am 20 and I will be there on February 5th along with my family.

BillyDkid
11-16-2007, 06:15 PM
Of course they will vote. The question is whether or not they are registered GOP and can vote in the primary.

Dorfsmith
11-16-2007, 06:19 PM
Of course they will vote. The question is whether or not they are registered GOP and can vote in the primary.

That is the biggest problem I've had with people at the college here. They are very active but some of them don't know if they should register here or in their home town and many of them thought they could be independents and still vote in the Republican primary. It's been explained and sorted out by several people in my meetup but some of them have not actually gone and done it. As the deadline gets closer I'm going to have to get more aggressive.

Adamsa
11-16-2007, 06:20 PM
That is the biggest problem I've had with people at the college here. They are very active but some of them don't know if they should register here or in their home town and many of them thought they could be independents and still vote in the Republican primary. It's been explained and sorted out by several people in my meetup but some of them have not actually gone and done it. As the deadline gets closer I'm going to have to get more aggressive.

Isn't it possible to switch on the day of the vote though?

Ron Paul in 2008
11-16-2007, 06:25 PM

In california we can change our registration in less than 5 minutes online. Keep pushing them.

xqqmytude
11-16-2007, 06:28 PM
I can't speak for everyone my age, but I am 24 and will be voting in my primary.

This is only the second presidential election I've been old enough to participate in. I didn't vote in 2004 because there wasn't a candidate I felt this strongly about. Don't let my sign up date fool you. I've been lurking here since the day this forum was created and have been working my butt off to sway others to the Paul camp. I never saw myself as being politically active. I never thought a politician would work for everything I've been dreaming that America could be. I personally think the buzz around Ron Paul is more than the hype of past campaigns, I think there's real hope.

ClayTrainor
11-16-2007, 06:29 PM
Young people are going to absolutely shock america when election time comes..

they dont get counted in those bogus media polls, and even those are growing.

Man, i cant wait to see that sarcastic smirk wiped right off of giulianis face!

Ninja Homer
11-16-2007, 06:44 PM

Historically, supporters of a "long shot second tier relatively unknown candidate" don't raise $4.3 million for a candidate in a day, or flood straw polls so bad they decide to cancel them, or produce their own ads and pay for the air time themselves. I don't know of anything in history that compares to this campaign.

We're making history here every day, folks. Just keep focus and keep the energy up. We're changing the world and taking back our country.

aravoth
11-16-2007, 06:52 PM
Well, if they don't vote, they'll have the fun of paying the projected 62 trillion dollar deficit with a dollar that won't buy them a gumball.

DealzOnWheelz
11-16-2007, 07:04 PM
Rather than telling the people you know to register republican and have to rely on them to remember

DO IT FOR THEM

SIT THEM DOWN GET THEIR INFO AND TELL THEM THAT YOU CAN DO IT FOR THEM and find out the info you need to change parties

or get the paperwork and fill it out for them and mail it in for them

And get a pack of Ron Paul lapel stickers. For every person that fills out the paperwork and gives it to you they get a lapel sticker.

DealzOnWheelz
11-16-2007, 07:06 PM
I can't wait to see HANNITY'S FACE

xerigen
11-16-2007, 07:10 PM
I don't know. I'm 19, and I will vote for sure. I've convinced most of my friends in the same age group to vote for Ron Paul and they all seem all for it. However, I've found a lot of people in a lot of my classes don't really care one way or another.

MRoCkEd
11-16-2007, 07:12 PM
i just turned 18 and probably wouldnt vote, but i am because of ron paul

82ndVET4RP
11-16-2007, 09:11 PM
Vote Ron Paul!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All your little dreams will come true. :).

jrich4rpaul
11-16-2007, 09:17 PM
I registered to vote after hearing about Ron Paul, and will be voting in the primary AND general election.

If I have to call out of work to do so, I will. Being at work is always everyone's excuse for not going to vote, but it won't be mine.

This is just too important. if all the supporters actually go and vote in the primaries and the election, we will be all set.

chandlerLBT
11-16-2007, 09:19 PM
i'm 18 and i registered republican to vote for paul in the primaries. i will be there, and i've convinced both of my parents to be there to vote ron paul into the general election.

ronpaulyourmom
11-16-2007, 09:20 PM
24 and voting in my first primary ever, and turning out my parents, sister, and friends as well. :D

mport1
11-16-2007, 09:26 PM
You can count on me to vote.

Sandra
11-16-2007, 09:40 PM
This has been my focus for a month now. I want to target RON PAUL SUPPORTERS to register to vote. I always have voter registration forms with me as most of the students I meet campaigning for Dr Paul are NOT registered to vote. While I can get them eligible, I cannot MAKE them go vote. Get the names and phone # of supporters and call them as a reminder to get out to vote. We also make refrigerator magnets that say "Ron Paul 2008 Feb 9, 2008"

FreedomLover
11-16-2007, 09:52 PM
Probably. My only concern is that the young people who are apart of the campaign are in large part the "1 in 5" who are very politically astute and get very excited about politics when it involves someone they like, such as ron paul.

I can't imagine many more younger people being involved in a primary, but i guess we'll have to wait til winter to see how this pans out.

saahmed
11-16-2007, 10:00 PM
Im 20, i'll be there. I think most young Paul supporters realize that every vote counts for us, so they'll show up. When Dean was in front they probably didn't think their vote was as important. Likewise with Obama and Clinton. The downside with caucuses in Iowa is that a lot of people don't want to take the time commitment, though it could also be a good thing since Paul supporters are more passionate.

Second_Tier_My_Ass
11-16-2007, 10:16 PM
My two younger brothers and I fall into that 18-24 category, and we're all registered and eagerly waiting to vote.

tnvoter
11-16-2007, 10:17 PM
Yes we will.

Jmaths117
11-16-2007, 10:35 PM

Yes , I will. I need to register Repub. I will do that this week.

StumbleBum7
11-16-2007, 10:38 PM
im 19, i will definatley be voting in the primary/election but im in PA so its a VERY late state where it will hve likely be determined already :(

Jmaths117
11-16-2007, 10:41 PM
im 19, i will definatley be voting in the primary/election but im in PA so its a VERY late state where it will hve likely be determined already :(

Same here, 19 and PA.

pguitarb
11-16-2007, 11:01 PM
18 year old voter right hur

edmnn
11-16-2007, 11:05 PM
21 year old first time voter for ron paul

Abobo
11-16-2007, 11:08 PM
I'm 21 and nothing will stop me from voting for Ron Paul... Even DEATH!

If I die I'll come back as a ghost and take over someone's body and make them vote for Ron Paul.

partypooper
11-16-2007, 11:09 PM
In california we can change our registration in less than 5 minutes online. Keep pushing them.

tell me more. i am working on my brother to change from independent to republican. can he change back immediately after he votes? it is a big deal for him (he doesn't want to be a republican, but i convinced him to vote for ron paul).

ASayre
11-16-2007, 11:55 PM
tell me more. i am working on my brother to change from independent to republican. can he change back immediately after he votes? it is a big deal for him (he doesn't want to be a republican, but i convinced him to vote for ron paul).

Maybe it depends on county? Here in Santa Barbara, After filling out the form online, they sent me a paper form, with all the information filled in, but I still had to sign it and mail it back

jacmicwag
11-17-2007, 12:04 AM
As mayor Daily in Chicago used to say "vote early and vote often."

partypooper
11-17-2007, 12:08 AM
Maybe it depends on county? Here in Santa Barbara, After filling out the form online, they sent me a paper form, with all the information filled in, but I still had to sign it and mail it back

i looked at california rules, it seems to be the same everywhere. he is actually well informed politically and will learn the rules himself if he wants to. i gave him the argument last night that he can register back to independent immediately after the primary and that made a good impression.

xcalybur
11-17-2007, 12:45 AM
I'm not that young, 32, but they would have to kidnap me, blow my legs off, and then drop me to the bottom of the ocean with a 1000 lb. weight before I didn't vote in both the primaries and the general.

work2win
11-17-2007, 01:49 AM
I forget what article it was from, but the writer had this to say:

"If you talk to the typical Ron Paul supporter, they would chew their own leg off before they would miss the opportunity to vote for him."

I can't see active supporters skipping out. All this hard work is a build up to that one event.

Perry
11-17-2007, 01:51 AM
I think the Paul turnout will have one of the greatest per capita turnouts in history for the 18-24 demographic.

Richandler
11-17-2007, 01:51 AM
I'm one of the 1 of 5 so I can't really tell.

Hamburglar
11-17-2007, 01:56 AM
Yes!

alien
11-17-2007, 02:04 AM
I will vote. i will admit that i missed one election once because i was too tired from work. however i have never been as committed to a candidate as i have been to Ron Paul. not even the runs will keep me from voting this election.

Ha! Runs to the polls so you can vote!

Kandilynn
11-17-2007, 02:11 AM
I'm 23 and I'm going to vote.

reaver
11-17-2007, 02:18 AM
I will. I got my absentee ballot in 04' when I could vote for the first time. I registered republican and intended on voting for Bushie but couldn't do it. Plus I have people who will drag me. Which is a good thing.

brumans
11-17-2007, 02:22 AM
Hell yeah.. and I'm gonna drag about 5 new voters with me.
If everyone did this it would expand the base five fold and we would win no problem.

Magsec
11-17-2007, 03:03 AM
Heh, the only 3 bumper stickers I see on campus are Hillary/Obama/Paul ones.

DXDoug
11-17-2007, 03:05 AM
We will be showing up , and getting all our grandparents to do the same,
Old + Young Vote = Win!! :D ;)

unconsious767
11-17-2007, 03:06 AM
I put the vid on -->youtube<-- (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCc1DNhKvak), thanks for the heads up.

derdy
11-17-2007, 03:29 AM
A Tazer has a quite an effect on elections!

BuddyRey
11-17-2007, 03:31 AM
This only way they'll keep THIS young person from voting for RP in the primaries (and hopefully in the general as well) is to pry the ballot from my cold, dead hands!!!

Wyurm
11-17-2007, 03:32 AM
I'm sure they will.

On a side note, I would like to mention that when the elections roll around, please do NOT start a thread about "bombing" the polls or having a "voter bomb". The word "bomb" works ok with money and signs, etc... but I think it best to not use that word in relation to the election.

ConstitutionGal
11-17-2007, 09:12 AM
A Tazer has a quite an effect on elections!

And a .357 can have quite an effect on a taser bearer!! :eek:

I must say that I am VERY, EXTREMELY, PASSIONATELY PROUD of each and every one of you!!! You are restoring my faith in the belief that our Nation may not be doomed after all!! Your exuberance and your dedication to our Nation's future is daily making me proud to be an American again and I thank you all from the bottom of my heart!!

...now get out there and continue spreading the word!!!:cool:

c0unterph0bia
11-17-2007, 09:48 AM
The only reason I didn't vote in 04 was because deciding between bush and kerry was nearly impossible for me. I would have voted for bush anyways, so I guess it really doesn't matter. Anyways, I'm counting down the days till I can vote here in Ohio, and I will be there. I'm also the manager where I work, so I'll be making 100% sure all my employees go out and vote as well.

Many of the older folks on this forum have expressed that there has never been a candidate like Ron Paul. I think a lot of young people understand that, and aren't going to let this opportunity slip through there fingers. I feel that my entire financial future lies in the 2008 election process.

Miss.Jif
11-17-2007, 10:35 AM
I think a lot of us young RP supporters understand that our country is headed for financial ruin and if that happens, if will be our job to fix it. If RP doesn't win, then I'll be working until the day I die. No Social Security for me. That's why Paul has a lot of support from younger voters; we don't want to see Rome burning and then have to clean up the mess because the previous generation of voters and politicians royally effed up. Plus, we actually believe the guy. I never thought I'd actually see an honest politician.

p.s. I'm nineteen and I'll brave the fires of Hades if that's what I have to do to cast my vote for Ron Paul.

enjoiskaterguy
11-17-2007, 10:42 AM
Oh yes....There are about 15+ of us in my meetup group, plus a lot of local college support that love Ron Paul. We are very devoted. Just like to add on what the other commenter said...If some sends money to Ron Paul, I'm sure they wil probably vote for him.

grfgerger
11-17-2007, 10:59 AM
22 here. only way I won't vote is if I'm dead.

Wickwire
11-17-2007, 11:18 AM
I'm not that young, 32, but they would have to kidnap me, blow my legs off, and then drop me to the bottom of the ocean with a 1000 lb. weight before I didn't vote in both the primaries and the general.

You'd probably have a band of Ron Paul supporters save you soon after the kidnapping and therefore still be able to vote. :) I'm 27, and just like every Ron Paul supporter I know, NOTHING will stop me from voting!