PDA

View Full Version : $72 Billion on Food Stamps per year... The (Big) Business of Food Stamps...

Reason
06-15-2012, 01:22 PM
http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ticker/marion-nestle-big-business-food-stamps-where-profits-164228337.html

"A vast percentage of Food Stamps' money goes into the pockets of soda companies and snack food companies...and also the stores that sell these foods."

Wal-Mart "gets a large fraction of Food Stamp dollars," which contributes 25% to 40% of revenue at select stores, according to Nestle. "These companies, therefore, have a vested interest in making sure Food Stamps are allowed for any purchase at all."

"You can bet the food companies like it just the way it is and they are lobbying" to prevent restrictions on how Food Stamp dollars are spent

Food industry groups such as the American Beverage Association and the Snack Food Association teamed up with anti-hunger groups to oppose health-oriented improvements to SNAP.
Companies such as Cargill, PepsiCo, and Kroger lobbied Congress on SNAP, while also donating money to America's top anti-hunger organizations (who fear any changes to the Food Stamps program will result in benefit cuts).
At least 9 states have proposed bills to make health-oriented improvements to SNAP, but none have passed, in part due to opposition from the food industry.
Coca-Cola, the Corn Refiners of America, and Kraft Foods all lobbied against a Florida bill that aimed to disallow SNAP purchases for soda and junk food.
Banks and other private contractors are reaping significant windfalls from the economic downturn and increasing SNAP participation.

showpan
06-15-2012, 08:21 PM
If welfare wasn't extremely profitable, the Uniparty would have done away with it long ago.

tod evans
06-16-2012, 02:02 AM
If welfare wasn't extremely profitable, the Uniparty would have done away with it long ago.

Profitable not just financially.......

kcchiefs6465
06-16-2012, 11:08 AM
There must be bread for this circus to continue.

tod evans
06-16-2012, 11:10 AM
There must be bread for this circus to continue.

Feeding and breeding government employees/dependents that can and will vote....

RonPaulMall
06-16-2012, 11:26 PM
Food industry groups such as the American Beverage Association and the Snack Food Association teamed up with anti-hunger groups to oppose health-oriented improvements to SNAP.

Have to wonder what these "health orientated" improvements really are though. Probably some variation of the Standard American Pro-Diabetes Diet. Food Stamps should be eliminated on general principle. I have no interest in micromanaging them and assuming an imperfect world where they do exist, I'd rather a wide open system than one where the goons in DC decide what is "healthy" and what is not. They'd end up using the welfare system to subsidize faux healthy foods (Low Fat BS and PUFA infused crap) and make it even harder for us that eat really healthy to find decent choices.

Indy Vidual
06-16-2012, 11:43 PM
It's a build-a burger plot:
http://i.imgur.com/vVQWL.jpg

Kregisen
06-17-2012, 12:01 AM
I know so many people who are taking advantage of these too. The federal government (or any government) should not be taking money from others and giving it out like this. Charities will help those who truly need it, but this is simply a fiasco. Not only is it morally wrong, but there is also so much corruption going on in how they are given out, and what they are good for (and why all these junk food manufacturers lobby for this)

MelissaCato
06-17-2012, 12:44 AM
I'd like to know how some of these people even get food stamps. Just seems like everyone has them at this one corner store in town. My son likes to get slushies at the store, that's the only reason why we even go there. Bread is 4.99, a box of fruity pebbles is 6.99, milk is 5.99, and the swedish fish is 10 cents each. Its crazy prices in there, yet they buy with food stamps. Who in their right mind would pay those prices ... I can tell you this - if I was on food stamps, I wouldn't change my thriftiness. Gezzz I guess this is the way it is when people don't have to work for their money. Pssst.

tod evans
06-17-2012, 04:49 AM
Ya' know if "our government" just absolutely has to give free food to people on the tax-payers dime i'd much rather see the money given to small farm owners (5-40 acres) and give the farmer a list of families to feed...

As things sit only govt. and their corporate cronies reap the benefits of the food tax-dollars.

Of course if "our govt." was bound by constitutional restraints it wouldn't be in the free food business to begin with...

Feeding the Abscess
06-17-2012, 04:59 AM
If anyone here has debt, seriously, I'm half-begging you, if you qualify for food stamps, take them, and use what you would have paid for food towards your debt.

Excellent way to screw both a thieving, murderous government and scum banks.

Liberty74
06-17-2012, 06:16 AM
I'd like to know how some of these people even get food stamps. Just seems like everyone has them at this one corner store in town. My son likes to get slushies at the store, that's the only reason why we even go there. Bread is 4.99, a box of fruity pebbles is 6.99, milk is 5.99, and the swedish fish is 10 cents each. Its crazy prices in there, yet they buy with food stamps. Who in their right mind would pay those prices ... I can tell you this - if I was on food stamps, I wouldn't change my thriftiness. Gezzz I guess this is the way it is when people don't have to work for their money. Pssst.

The government drives up the cost of food with food stamps which in turn makes people poorer. Pelosi lies when she says food stamps stimulates the economy blah blah blah whatever stupid number she claims. Heck, the entire Democrat Party lies about welfare. In order to provide such stamps one must first steal from another industry. When people are given free money, they have no incentive to be thrifty.

THE GREATEST FOOD STAMP FRAUD (http://archive.mises.org/21034/deja-vu-on-the-greatest-food-stamp-fraud/)

seraphson
06-17-2012, 08:27 AM
The government drives up the cost of food with food stamps which in turn makes people poorer. Pelosi lies when she says food stamps stimulates the economy blah blah blah whatever stupid number she claims. Heck, the entire Democrat Party lies about welfare. In order to provide such stamps one must first steal from another industry. When people are given free money, they have no incentive to be thrifty.

THE GREATEST FOOD STAMP FRAUD (http://archive.mises.org/21034/deja-vu-on-the-greatest-food-stamp-fraud/)

And that's the beauty of "free" money. People rarely think beyond the here-and-now, they just stare at the bumper of the car in front of them (government) and the mob rule (democracy) will even take The People's car right over a cliff and they'll go right over. Of course the government vehicle will activate its flight mechanisms and watch The People's car hit the bottom of the canyon. They wonder what the hell just happened and big bro will come swooping down offering "aid".

Anyways you make a very good point and Peter Schiff actually discusses very similar circumstances here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U73xKgbXh68

I would like to personally slap, on the cheek, each so called "congressman" that voted for such a destructive program; a direct violation against their oath to support the Constitution.

In addition, least we forget the five golden rules every citizen should know before voting:

1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity.

2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.

3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.

5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work, because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Kluge
06-17-2012, 08:46 AM

And they use this stupidity as an excuse to try to force businesses into locations where they have no interest in going. They call them "food deserts" and blame poor people's poor diets on convenience stores. Some liberals even use this stupid activity as an excuse to try to increase food stamp benefits.

Philhelm
06-17-2012, 09:38 AM
If anyone here has debt, seriously, I'm half-begging you, if you qualify for food stamps, take them, and use what you would have paid for food towards your debt.

This actually touches on what I was just going to post about food stamps. In reality, people are not paying for others to eat, as charities would be able to do that. Rather, people are paying in order to allow such people to possess nicer things than we, the working class, do: big televisions, cell phones, iPads, iPhones, iWhatevers. Their resources are not as tied up in buying food, so they can turn around and use their actual money for other things. Makes me sick.

tod evans
06-17-2012, 09:53 AM
Forest/trees..

To me the issue isn't what food-stamp recipients spend their money on..

The issues I see are both the govt. and big business profiting from the program as it is...

In order for "poor-people" to eat I'm unable to justify literally billions in government salaries....Worse yet are the companies who put the electorate in office so they may profit from the govt. largess...

So if we follow your train of thought, we the tax-payers, are not only funding the big TV's, etc. for poor folks we are enabling countless other parasites to possess such luxuries (All govt. employees are parasites)..

This actually touches on what I was just going to post about food stamps. In reality, people are not paying for others to eat, as charities would be able to do that. Rather, people are paying in order to allow such people to possess nicer things than we, the working class, do: big televisions, cell phones, iPads, iPhones, iWhatevers. Their resources are not as tied up in buying food, so they can turn around and use their actual money for other things. Makes me sick.

cheapseats
06-17-2012, 09:56 AM
Feeding and breeding government employees/dependents that can and will vote....

Corporations underwrite college-and-higher degrees for promisingly dutiful, loyal, long-term Line Towers. The Chosen rise quicker.

Think, FAST TRACK.

Social Engineering...not only with more obedience, but with GRATITUDE & AFFECTION.

oyarde
06-17-2012, 10:53 AM
I'd like to know how some of these people even get food stamps. Just seems like everyone has them at this one corner store in town. My son likes to get slushies at the store, that's the only reason why we even go there. Bread is 4.99, a box of fruity pebbles is 6.99, milk is 5.99, and the swedish fish is 10 cents each. Its crazy prices in there, yet they buy with food stamps. Who in their right mind would pay those prices ... I can tell you this - if I was on food stamps, I wouldn't change my thriftiness. Gezzz I guess this is the way it is when people don't have to work for their money. Pssst. The world has changed , Sweidis Fish were one 49 cents for an entirebag , and you earned the money before you spent it ...

oyarde
06-17-2012, 10:54 AM
I'd like to know how some of these people even get food stamps. Just seems like everyone has them at this one corner store in town. My son likes to get slushies at the store, that's the only reason why we even go there. Bread is 4.99, a box of fruity pebbles is 6.99, milk is 5.99, and the swedish fish is 10 cents each. Its crazy prices in there, yet they buy with food stamps. Who in their right mind would pay those prices ... I can tell you this - if I was on food stamps, I wouldn't change my thriftiness. Gezzz I guess this is the way it is when people don't have to work for their money. Pssst. The world has changed , Swedish Fish were once 49 cents for an entire bag , and you earned the money before you spent it ...

Philhelm
06-17-2012, 10:57 AM
Forest/trees..

To me the issue isn't what food-stamp recipients spend their money on..

The issues I see are both the govt. and big business profiting from the program as it is...

In order for "poor-people" to eat I'm unable to justify literally billions in government salaries....Worse yet are the companies who put the electorate in office so they may profit from the govt. largess...

So if we follow your train of thought, we the tax-payers, are not only funding the big TV's, etc. for poor folks we are enabling countless other parasites to possess such luxuries (All govt. employees are parasites)..

My point was simply that food stamps aren't even necessary from the outset, by any stretch of the imagination. That's probably the first thing that charities would effectively cover, if they were allowed to. Nobody has been starving in the U.S. since Jamestown, with the exception of the Donner Party and food stamps would not have helped there (but I hear at least one of them ate pretty well...tee hee hee).

The government being corrupt and evil goes without saying, so I don't see what the issue is here.

cheapseats
06-17-2012, 12:01 PM
I'd like to know how some of these people even get food stamps.

FILL OUT THE FORMS; FABRICATE AS NECESSARY; RINSE & REPEAT.

Same as the inflated appraisals and creative loan applications that served as lighter fluid for the Mortgage Meltdown.

DamianTV
06-17-2012, 04:48 PM
Dependancy is another form of Slavery.

Origanalist
06-17-2012, 05:00 PM
And they use this stupidity as an excuse to try to force businesses into locations where they have no interest in going. They call them "food deserts" and blame poor people's poor diets on convenience stores. Some liberals even use this stupid activity as an excuse to try to increase food stamp benefits.

I just heard about these "food deserts" yesterday listening to NPR. I listen to the progressives now and then just to remind myself how screwed up they are.

tod evans
06-17-2012, 05:25 PM
Dependancy is another form of Slavery.

Good luck promoting that viewpoint to the recipients...

presence
06-17-2012, 07:08 PM
Citizen's dividends instead of welfare programs would totally change everyone's outlook on all of this. Every man eats. Whatever he so chooses. Regardless of ability or disability. No man rises in economic RANK by government doll.

I find criticising people who eat doritos and pepsi on foodstamps no worse than criticising the people with the audacity to eat "organic" on food stamps. To each his own.

heavenlyboy34
06-17-2012, 07:42 PM
The "social safety net" ideal of the early 20th century quickly (and predictably) became a hammock, and remains so to this day. Subsidize poverty, get more of it-uncommon common sense:toady:.

DamianTV
06-18-2012, 06:31 AM
Good luck promoting that viewpoint to the recipients...

No worries. I have a plethora of recipients to choose from. Oh, by the way, there will be some changes to the system before the turn of the next century. In order to qualify, you have to agree to allow a government camera in your home, agree to hourly drug tests, agree to allowing your child to receive govt vaccinations, and agree to proclaim the govt as your own personal fucking savior.

Slavery comes in many many different forms, but there are quite a few people that are completely incapable of recognizing it under a different guise.

tod evans
06-18-2012, 10:14 AM
Slavery comes in many many different forms, but there are quite a few people that are completely incapable of recognizing it under a different guise.

Oh I agree!

How many will sell their freedom for 30 pieces?

It's for the kids afterall....

jbauer
06-18-2012, 10:26 AM
Its my understanding that if you make $40k+ (married joint) with over $2k in any type of savings (ira's, life insurance, personal residence) that you dont' qualify.

truelies
06-18-2012, 10:43 AM
Simply end ALL Federal welfare individual and corporate- cold turkey. The States of course are free to institute their own programs using their own tax revenues. Given my pick I would see my State reinstitute the poor farm. No work, no eat......and a quick trip to the gallows for those who turn to Crimes against Property or Persons.

truelies
06-18-2012, 10:47 AM
BTW corruption among those charged with Keeping the Peace and Enforcing the Laws would result in a mandatory lifetime status as outlaw, as in WHATEVER the community chooses to do to the outlaw is no concern of the State.

oyarde
06-18-2012, 11:38 AM
Simply end ALL Federal welfare individual and corporate- cold turkey. The States of course are free to institute their own programs using their own tax revenues. Given my pick I would see my State reinstitute the poor farm. No work, no eat......and a quick trip to the gallows for those who turn to Crimes against Property or Persons. LOL