PDA

View Full Version : Cops, cameras, whining

tod evans
06-15-2012, 07:31 AM
Of course the cops don't want "proof" available to either the defense or prosecutor.......

For way too many years "The Word" of a cop has been gospel in courtrooms across the nation.....

Good to see video being introduced into the equation!

Philadelphia Police Department testing mini cameras on officers

PHILADELPHIA – Philadelphia's police are getting a half-dozen miniature cameras to mount on officers as it mulls using the technology to document everything that happens at a crime scene.
Commissioner Charles Ramsey says the cameras can provide evidence if an officer is the subject of a complaint, although state wiretaps laws would prohibit audio recording.
The cameras can be mounted on an officer's glasses, hat or collar.
But Ramsey tells The Philadelphia Daily News the cameras are expensive -- about $1,000 per officer. The department has about 6,500 officers.
The head of the officers' union says the department should focus on adding officers to the force, not cameras.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/06/15/phi...z1xrt3Xfv1

aGameOfThrones
06-15-2012, 09:09 AM
The head of the officers' union says the department should focus on adding officers to the force, not cameras.

I rather have the cameras.

coastie
06-15-2012, 11:09 AM
So, they're going to put cameras on 6 of the 6500+ on their police force. Sounds like a good way to get a scientific predetermined result to me.:rolleyes:

Convienient for them that the audio can't be used in court in Pennsylvania.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
06-15-2012, 11:14 AM
Not to mention, we can expect the video to disappear if it contains anything contratry to officer statements.

coastie
06-15-2012, 11:19 AM
Not to mention, we can expect the video to disappear if it contains anything contratry to officer statements.

I think it's HIGHLY unlikely the cameras will catch anything...those cameras won't be put on the "good" cops(in their line of thinking). 6 out of 6500? Gimmeafuckinbreak.

tod evans
06-15-2012, 11:27 AM
Personally I'm glad to see even 6 cops having to wear cameras...

All of them is the desired outcome with publicly accessible video in real-time...

Transparency of tax-payer employees....

DamianTV
06-15-2012, 12:54 PM
Really the only thing that bothers me about this is the cost of the cameras will be passed right along to the people they give tickets and citations to. I think the cops themselves ought to be paying for these cameras out of their own pocketbooks with no reimbursement. See how they like having money arbitrarily taken from them.

puppetmaster
06-15-2012, 01:01 PM
So, they're going to put cameras on 6 of the 6500+ on their police force. Sounds like a good way to get a scientific predetermined result to me.:rolleyes:

Convienient for them that the audio can't be used in court in Pennsylvania.

There is no audio to use against you I suppose if you NEVER talk to the cops....NEVER TALK

aGameOfThrones
06-15-2012, 01:37 PM
Really the only thing that bothers me about this is the cost of the cameras will be passed right along to the people they give tickets and citations to. I think the cops themselves ought to be paying for these cameras out of their own pocketbooks with no reimbursement. See how they like having money arbitrarily taken from them.

Cop hater! Reported!

They should put the cameras on the "heroes" with the most complaints.

DamianTV
06-15-2012, 01:43 PM
Cop hater! Reported!

They should put the cameras on the "heroes" with the most complaints.

ROFL!!!

Funny thing is there is a valid point hidden in the Sarcasm. If I were to dispute the accusation of a Cop that did not have the same Ethnic Herritage as my own, I'd also immediately be labeled as Racist! I dont hate anyone for their Ethnicity, I hate based upon the actions and choices that they make. Same goes for Cops. The reason I express my dissatisfaction with Cops is because of the way Individual Cops choose to behave. Other supporting but non primary arguments are that A: They are not held accountable for their actions which is caused by B: They are not elected positions.

aGameOfThrones
06-15-2012, 01:50 PM
ROFL!!!

Funny thing is there is a valid point hidden in the Sarcasm. If I were to dispute the accusation of a Cop that did not have the same Ethnic Herritage as my own, I'd also immediately be labeled as Racist! I dont hate anyone for their Ethnicity, I hate based upon the actions and choices that they make. Same goes for Cops. The reason I express my dissatisfaction with Cops is because of the way Individual Cops choose to behave. Other supporting but non primary arguments are that A: They are not held accountable for their actions which is caused by B: They are not elected positions.

This is all I saw from your comment.

Icymudpuppy
06-15-2012, 01:56 PM
This is all I saw from your comment.

He's definitely a racist cop hater... :rolleyes:

I have an idea. How about we start a group to solicit donations to put "OUR" streaming cameras on cops. Cops who accept our cameras don't get a department camera. Cops who refuse get a department camera paid for from salary deductions...

aGameOfThrones
06-15-2012, 02:15 PM
I think putting cameras on cops will take away their independence to adequately enforce the law. Listen, nobody wants someone looking over your shoulder verifying that the job is being done right.

cucucachu0000
06-15-2012, 02:21 PM
i like it at the very least its giving the cops a good scare to behave otherwise theyll all have to wear one

tod evans
06-15-2012, 02:47 PM
I think putting cameras on cops will take away their independence to adequately enforce the law. Listen, nobody wants someone looking over your shoulder verifying that the job is being done right.

When the power to remove another mans life/liberty or money is part of the "job" then verifying that the job the taxpayers are paying for is done legitimately is only right.

Disregard all the talk about out of control cops, frame jobs, shot dogs, dead prisoners etc.....The ability exists to verify and document the TRUTH.....

What in the world is wrong with the TRUTH being portrayed in a court of law?

DamianTV
06-15-2012, 03:12 PM
Think of Cops like being addicted to Crack. They write more Tickets, so they can hire more Cops, so they can write more Tickets, so they can hire more Cops, so they can write more Tickets. Is this what passes as Law Enforcement? This is really nothing more than a Ponzi Scheme at the expense of the Innocent.