PDA

View Full Version : Feathers fly in New York goose wars

specsaregood
06-14-2012, 06:17 AM
http://www.terradaily.com/reports/Feathers_fly_in_New_York_goose_wars_999.html

excerpts:

At the start of each summer, teams from the US Department of Agriculture descend on parks like Inwood Hill in Manhattan to eradicate flocks of adult geese and their fluffy new goslings.

The geese are helpless. June to July is molting season, so they can't fly. It takes little time to put them in crates and drive them away to be gassed.

But thanks to David Karopkin and his fellow GooseWatchNYC activists, the big birds are not entirely alone.

Each day around New York, activists rise at dawn to watch over the urban flocks. If someone spots a raid starting, everyone in the GooseWatchNYC network is alerted via instant message.l

"It's horrifying," Karopkin, a 27-year-old lawyer in training, said. "I made a decision that I wasn't going to be asleep in my bed. I wanted to bear witness."

Another member of the goose brigade, 44-year-old writer Genevieve Mathis, starts at about 5:00 am, peeking from her window in an apartment that overlooks Inwood Hill Park.

"We can see the driveway and when they come, they come with eight or nine trucks," Mathis said. "We can spot them."

The activists won't physically prevent the USDA team roundups, but believe their presence and their filming of events is enough to give officials pause. And if the geese can just get through to mid-July, they'll have their wings working again.

interesting use of technology.

Yieu
06-14-2012, 06:23 AM
This is the action of our "environmentalist" government. They have a social program that will take care of you.

ShaneEnochs
06-14-2012, 06:28 AM
I don't understand. Are the geese diseased or something?

specsaregood
06-14-2012, 06:32 AM
I don't understand. Are the geese diseased or something?

No, they do it so they dont make airplanes crash.

oyarde
06-14-2012, 09:56 AM
I don't understand. Are the geese diseased or something? No , there is nothing wrong with the geese , there will , likely still be some of them around after we are all gone . It does show you how strange people have gotten , executing geese in a gas chamber instead of butchering and eating them, what a waste.....

oyarde
06-14-2012, 09:58 AM
By the way , funding the USDA to do this instead of a private sector person probably costs 100's of times more....

oyarde
06-14-2012, 10:10 AM
I you read the whole thing , here is my summary . USDA blows millions per yr of tax money to cull 600 resident geese annually , in the hopes this will look like they were being pro active the next time a flock of geese wipes out a jet , killing hundreds , and poop from cop horses is better than goose poop .

ShaneEnochs
06-14-2012, 10:37 AM
Are geese really that much of a problem? I mean I think I've heard of maybe two geese-takes-down-airplane stories in the last ten years.

oyarde
06-14-2012, 10:44 AM
Are geese really that much of a problem? I mean I think I've heard of maybe two geese-takes-down-airplane stories in the last ten years. Gees can become problematic in an ordinry residential area devoid of predators ( most predators are not a real threat to geese ) . Now , enough of that , the bloated 150 billion dollar a year USDA , is not how to effectively take care of 600 geese annually from a dozen small areas.

AGRP
06-14-2012, 11:58 AM
Meanwhile, in the middle east....

oyarde
06-14-2012, 10:28 PM
In the middle East..... while you rest, some assholes are going to try and blow some more tax money and money they do not have in (Russia ), Syria, Iraq , Yemen ,Kingdom of Saud ,Somalia , Afghanistan , Egypt. Pakistan , Israel etc and then you should probably factor in the rest of Africa ......

devil21
06-15-2012, 02:17 AM
Leave it to the government to declare war on something defenseless. They seem to like doing that, regardless of what your species is.

John F Kennedy III
06-15-2012, 04:07 AM
Meanwhile, in the middle east....

Lol right?

Or, you know, the economy.

oyarde
06-15-2012, 10:04 AM
Lol right?

Or, you know, the economy. If you eliminated the USDA , there would be some very needed growth in the economy ...

Kluge
06-15-2012, 10:23 AM
It'd be far cheaper to go to Chinatown and let them know that it's legal to capture and sell the birds as meat.

Icymudpuppy
06-15-2012, 10:32 AM
By the way , funding the USDA to do this instead of a private sector person probably costs 100's of times more....

USDA wildlife services steals millions of dollars from businesses like me by using our own tax dollars to compete against us using techniques that are illegal for private NWCOs to use, and without care for the animals or their reputation.

I am a private nuisance wildlife control operator.

www.animalproblem.com

Icymudpuppy
06-15-2012, 10:33 AM
It'd be far cheaper to go to Chinatown and let them know that it's legal to capture and sell the birds as meat.

It's not legal. Only USDA gets away with it because they operate above the law. They do not follow the rules set forth by the 1973 migratory bird act.

Icymudpuppy
06-15-2012, 10:35 AM
Please like this link on Facebook!

http://www.facebook.com/defundusdawildlifeservices

oyarde
06-15-2012, 10:37 AM
I thought of you when I read this thread Jack , If I was some nutjob who owned a dozen golf courses and I called you for a quote to remove 600 resident geese annually and it was legal , what would that , roughly cost ??

Kluge
06-15-2012, 10:39 AM
It's not legal. Only USDA gets away with it because they operate above the law. They do not follow the rules set forth by the 1973 migratory bird act.

There's no individual human being that I've ever met who's as asinine and wasteful as the government.

oyarde
06-15-2012, 10:53 AM
It'd be far cheaper to go to Chinatown and let them know that it's legal to capture and sell the birds as meat. Probably never work , poor Chinese immigrant running his restaraunt would never have time to find out where to get his Federal Migratory duck stamp or his State Duck stamp or his hunting license , then if you want some fresh trout with your goose , you need your trout stamp , or if you want some wild turkey or venison , those licenses are seperate and additional from your hunting license and you have to buy them individually, then if you want a grouse or quail , there is the State Upland Game Bird Stamp for that...... AND , you have not bought your fishing license yet :)

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
06-15-2012, 11:02 AM

That's kinda what I was thinking. Why not teach homeless people how to cook them?

And if it really is an airplane safety issue, shouldn't the airlines be paying for it?

Icymudpuppy
06-15-2012, 11:16 AM
I thought of you when I read this thread Jack , If I was some nutjob who owned a dozen golf courses and I called you for a quote to remove 600 resident geese annually and it was legal , what would that , roughly cost ??

Given that I can't kill them outright like USDA can.

I'll give you an appx bid based on the last one I bid for BOEING corporation in Seattle at their 5 acre headquarters campus.

I would have to set up a dispersion program prior to nesting which involves three parts.

1. Active Harrassment. Chase off adult birds using trained dogs, paintball guns, airsoft guns, Radio control planes and helicoptors etc. $1000/wk during breeding season. Typically about 3 weeks.

2. Passive Harrassment. Electronic motion and timer activated devices that mimick the active harrassment. set in strategic areas. Dog decoy that moves and barks, Pyrotechnics, propane cannons, laser displays, etc. Initial cost for all products about $10,000 plus monthly maintenance of about $100/mo.

3. Barriers and deterrents. Landing prevention cables, Electric fencing, Bitter tasting coatings on feeding areas, etc. Initial cost of about $20,000 for a 5 acre area with monthly maintenance of about $100/mo.

oyarde
06-15-2012, 11:40 AM
Given that I can't kill them outright like USDA can.

I'll give you an appx bid based on the last one I bid for BOEING corporation in Seattle at their 5 acre headquarters campus.

I would have to set up a dispersion program prior to nesting which involves three parts.

1. Active Harrassment. Chase off adult birds using trained dogs, paintball guns, airsoft guns, Radio control planes and helicoptors etc. $1000/wk during breeding season. Typically about 3 weeks.

2. Passive Harrassment. Electronic motion and timer activated devices that mimick the active harrassment. set in strategic areas. Dog decoy that moves and barks, Pyrotechnics, propane cannons, laser displays, etc. Initial cost for all products about $10,000 plus monthly maintenance of about $100/mo.

3. Barriers and deterrents. Landing prevention cables, Electric fencing, Bitter tasting coatings on feeding areas, etc. Initial cost of about $20,000 for a 5 acre area with monthly maintenance of about $100/mo. I figured you would come in much cheaper than the USDA :)