PDA

View Full Version : The Libertarian Speech I Would Deliver to the Whole Country | Tom Woods

Wesker1982
06-12-2012, 06:32 PM
This was really good :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaKg2I_2-9E&feature=g-u-u

green73
06-13-2012, 02:57 PM
Awesome as always. How can you not love this guy?

Travlyr
06-14-2012, 11:40 AM
Excellent Speech.

At 19:50 Tom Woods describes the property rights of some American Indian tribes. "Numerous American Indian tribes, not only did they have private property, but they assigned property rights for example in hunting. They would say this family can hunt in this area.." Tom gives a good explanation of how and why private property rights are good, but he glosses over the fact that government is necessary in order to have property rights.

For example, who are 'they' if not the governing authority ... a Chief. A government. Some might call it voluntary, I don't, but who do you suppose got the best hunting grounds? Property rights require an authority. The question then becomes what is the best form of government? Voluntary of course ... then the question becomes what is the best design for a voluntary government?

What I would like to see is people stop claiming that abolishing all government is good and will deliver freedom when it clearly will not. The rhetoric should progress to recognize good government from bad. A Constitutional Republic is better than no government at all. There is very likely an even better government to be designed in the future.

This is the function that the liberal doctrine assigns to the state: the protection of property, liberty, and peace. - Ludwig von Mises
A huge step in the right direction is to end the monopoly on money.

"The Purse & The Sword (http://www.amazon.com/Purse-Sword-Dr-Edwin-Vieira/dp/B003FSTVI6)" by Dr. Edwin Vieira Jr.

noneedtoaggress
06-14-2012, 12:15 PM
What happened to your sig, Trav?

twisted
06-14-2012, 06:20 PM
we need to go back on a gold standard, get RID of phony currency, and let the chips fall where they may. If people have been so stupid as to not be truly prepared, tough stuff.

Travlyr
06-14-2012, 06:38 PM
What happened to your sig, Trav?

I often selectively post with my signature or without it. It all depends on the topic I'm replying to. It seems that you avoided answering the questions I posed in the above post. What say you? Is minimal government necessary in order to facilitate private property rights as demonstrated by Dr. Woods?

kuckfeynes
06-14-2012, 07:03 PM
Here here. Excellent speech and advice.

Unlike most here I somehow managed to discover Rothbard before Ron Paul. The man did more in terms of rigorous application of ideology than anyone in history, and yet he is treated as a pariah. Had Ron Paul never read Rothbard, he very well may not have become as passionate about the philosophy and have chosen the life he did. And yet reference to him or "anarchism" or any derivative of such is treated as taboo. Not that everyone has to stand up and declare himself an anarchist, but we will never achieve political unity until that dogma is lifted.

Henry Rogue
06-14-2012, 10:50 PM
Tom Woods always puts me in a good mood. I had not seen that video yet.

Feeding the Abscess
06-14-2012, 10:53 PM
Tom Woods always puts me in a good mood. I had not seen that video yet.

Definitely, if he ever wanted to run for office I'd move to Kansas and volunteer for him in a heartbeat.

Thankfully, I won't have to worry about doing that anytime soon.

Sola_Fide
06-14-2012, 11:25 PM
That was great.