PDA

View Full Version : A few thoughts on the endorsement/reactions

A Son of Liberty
06-12-2012, 04:37 AM
I just wanted to speak my peace about this endorsement business, and some of the reactions to it…

I was disappointed by Rand’s endorsement of Romney. But I don’t view Rand as any kind of a leader in this movement. I’ve never been a big fan – I’ve liked many of the things he’s said and done, but a big negative to me was his vote for sanctions against Iran. That’s a fundamental, in my mind, and showed him to be a different breed of cat from his father. So, his endorsement of Romney was disappointing, but not devastating.

I haven’t had a lot of time to follow this on the internet, and the only media I’ve heard discussing it has been on the occasions I’ve been in the truck and able to listen to Alex Jones, but it seems that a lot of folks are holding Rand’s endorsement against Ron. I’m pretty baffled by this. I know that there’s a lot of resentment on Jones’ part about Ron requesting that his supporters behave respectful at the GOP convention, but I’m not sure why anyone would be surprised that Ron would say something like this. Ron has been for decades now a consummate gentleman, who has behaved with civility and decency in any forum, friendly or hostile, and he has never endorsed crude or base behavior by anyone, particularly his supporters.

I’ve also read/heard some concern that Ron hasn’t spoken about Rand’s endorsement. I’m not sure I understand this, either. Rand is his own man, with his own mind, and has a right to make his own decisions. Ron’s never been a lock-step kind of guy. I don’t really feel like I need to hear from Ron about his son’s endorsement, any more than I need to hear from him about anyone else’s endorsement of whomever. That was Rand, not Ron. I’ve been really disappointed of many longtime supporters conflating the actions of Rand with the principles of Ron. If and when Ron endorses Romney, then there will be a legitimate problem, at least for me. I just think it’s a shame that many presumably stalwart and longtime supporters are ready to give up on Ron over this. From what I’ve heard of Jones’ radio show, I have been particularly disappointed in him. Friday he went off almost irrationally, and then yesterday he had Tarpley on just saying all manner of outrageous, unsubstantiated things about Ron. But of course, I suppose he feels like he can make ratings hay over all of this, adding some gasoline to his “grand conspiracy of all” fire. Alex seems to have it backwards – he didn’t “make” Ron who he is, Ron made Alex who he is. Very disappointing…

I’m personally glad that Ron is getting out of the politics business very soon, and I look forward to what he can do for the liberty movement in private life. We will not likely see true liberty in our time, but we can add some solid blocks to the foundation. I’m not sure who some folks think – at present – is better to walk at the front of that effort than Ron Paul, however.

There. I feel better now.

jmdrake
06-13-2012, 08:38 AM
Hello. Okay a couple of points. First I'm not mad at Rand. I saw this coming two years ago. No, not the "Romney endorsement" since I didn't know Romney would be the nominee. But it was clear in 2010 the way Rand ran his senate campaign that he was following the "G. Edward Griffin" strategy laid out in 2008. (Please see: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?379874-Rand-Paul-An-Idea-Whose-Time-Has-Come). It's also obvious since 2010 that Ron has been secretly following the same strategy Rand is following. Sorry to break this to you, but the are in lockstep. How do I know this? Do you remember all of the anger directed toward the C4L in 2010 for its "kinda/sorta" endorsement of Ken Buck? People were claiming that "people around Ron have hijacked the movement" and "Ron doesn't approve". Well, when the smoke cleared and the dust settled, the truth was Ron had approved the endorsement of Ken Buck. Now granted Ken Buck was much better than Mitt Romney on a lot of issue. But the point is that Ron, while not being as "in your face" about it as Rand, has been playing "pragmatist" for at least two years and maybe longer.

Now as for Alex Jones, I haven't been listening that much lately. In the video some have had their panties in a knot over, Alex did not bash Ron. He criticized Ron's strategy. I'm on the fence about the strategy, but the tactics (how the strategy has been implemented) has left a lot to be desired. But make no mistake about it. It is Ron's strategy, not Rand's. Rand didn't send out the email saying that Ron wouldn't be campaigning in the final primary states. Ron did that. Folks have been kidding themselves claiming that "It must have been a staffer using Ron's email". Bull! It was Ron. And it's as clear as the nose on your face that he did that and approved the messages from Benton and Tate for the sole purpose of paving the way for Rand to be able to endorse Romney. (Some) folks are mad because Rand "endorsed Romney while Ron was still in the race." Except....Ron hasn't been in the race! Some of us (myself included) thought that Ron was still in the race and "the media's just lying". Well guess what? For once the media was telling the truth about the Ron Paul campaign and we weren't prepared to accept the truth. Let's look at the whole "Delegates be respectful in Tampa" argument. The only way for Ron to actually win in Tampa would be for his delegates to stage a floor fight. There is no way to do that without being disruptive. So if you aren't planning on going to Tampa and disrupting things there is no reason to accumulate delegates. Not unless you are accumulating delegates for the purpose of making backroom deals that have nothing to do with actually getting the nomination. And that is what Alex Jones was complaining about the I listened to him on Friday and in the video that's been posted. It's one thing to say early on "We're done" and be done. It's another thing to say "We're done....no we're really not done cause there's the delegate strategy secret weapon....oh but we're not going to really use that weapon and Rand is endorsing and will campaign for Romney."

So in short, while you may see it differently, I do not think Rand Paul has gone rogue. And since I don't think that, and the evidence doesn't suggest that, then the only other option is that Ron must be involved with whats going on. If Ron is involved, and I'm sure he is, then he hasn't done the best job handling this. I still love Ron and Rand. I think the strategy they are both pursuing has merit. But the execution of that strategy has left a lot to be desired.