PDA

View Full Version : Turning the cancelled Dec. 4th debate into a win for Ron Paul?

JustAnotherV
11-16-2007, 03:23 PM
Like I lot of people I see that the Dec. 4th debate has been cancelled. This is unfortunate as there are not many left and these debates have previously been crucial for the campaign to get its message out to primetime.

I assume that congressman Paul's schedule was already blocked out for Iowa, so I was wondering if there is a way to hold a super-sized rally/speech, a self-run question answer session, and/or an open invitation to debate any and all other candidates on that day even without FOX. It might even be possible to garner some sort of main stream coverage of that event if it had enough support, but in any case, a strong and engaged presence in Iowa against the backdrop of this fumble could garner much needed support at a critical time. Without the debate itself, there is a need to fill the vacuum with something dramatic that makes use of the limited remaining time. If a statement was put out ahead of time, it might also be possible to lure in media attention while they are still somewhat warmed up from the recent fundraising coverage.

theprolific
11-16-2007, 03:26 PM
Like I lot of people I see that the Dec. 4th debate has been cancelled. This is unfortunate as there are not many left and these debates have previously been crucial for the campaign to get its message out to primetime.

I assume that congressman Paul's schedule was already blocked out for Iowa, so I was wondering if there is a way to hold a super-sized rally/speech, a self-run question answer session, and/or an open invitation to debate any and all other candidates on that day even without FOX. It might even be possible to garner some sort of main stream coverage of that event if it had enough support, but in any case, a strong and engaged presence in Iowa against the backdrop of this fumble could garner much needed support at a critical time. Without the debate itself, there is a need to fill the vacuum with something dramatic that makes use of the limited remaining time. If a statement was put out ahead of time, it might also be possible to lure in media attention while they are still somewhat warmed up from the recent fundraising coverage.

well said

JoeTB
11-16-2007, 03:28 PM
Make it happen!

tonyr1988
11-16-2007, 03:32 PM
Great idea - I know that Iowa isn't the primary focus of the campaign, but that doesn't mean it should be ignored. Especially if he was already planning to be in the area, there's great potential.

I really like the Q&A session idea. I think that Romney's "Ask Mitt Anything" have relatively large audiences, but I'm not positive. Still, people are convinced when they hear the man speak, so anything that he's present at will be awesome.

jrich4rpaul
11-16-2007, 03:42 PM
I already emailed the campaign suggesting this, maybe more of us should. A rally/event would be a great benefit

theprolific
11-16-2007, 03:43 PM
bump

seapilot
11-16-2007, 03:49 PM
A rally on dec 4 in Iowa would be a booster IMO. Many Iowans 2000 already paid to go to that debate. Good PR for Dr. Paul and show he cares more about Iowans than Romney.

JustAnotherV
11-16-2007, 04:01 PM
I already emailed the campaign suggesting this, maybe more of us should. A rally/event would be a great benefit

I had emailed the Iowa staff before posting this. I didn't want to swamp anyone, but it would be good if somehow we could get through to HQ/Iowa HQ to suggest and support this. If we can connect and they get the picture, then the organizers can handle it from there.

JustAnotherV
11-16-2007, 04:10 PM
Great idea - I know that Iowa isn't the primary focus of the campaign, but that doesn't mean it should be ignored. Especially if he was already planning to be in the area, there's great potential.

I really like the Q&A session idea. I think that Romney's "Ask Mitt Anything" have relatively large audiences, but I'm not positive. Still, people are convinced when they hear the man speak, so anything that he's present at will be awesome.

It may not be the focus, but it is still a media darling. On the news they never go far before referencing Iowa and/or Iowa polls and discussing the leaders there. Huckabee is getting recognition based on almost nothing but his strong Iowa showing. Plus if Mitt slips from this, there may be some undecided people up for grabs (especially one that weren't that committed to him/foreign aggression).

I agree that anything he's at would be a plus, but there seems to be a preference there for dealing directly with the people, so questions or alternative debates (but who would accept...) might be a plus.

If I was the campaign manager I would put out an open invitation for a debate challenge with some quick statements and then all the questions coming from the people on various issues, and if no one would take it up, then just answer the questions on his own.

ItsTime
11-16-2007, 04:11 PM
Big rally in Iowa. Last time they only expected 200 people 600 showed up. You all could easily get 1000 or more people! DO it!

literatim
11-16-2007, 04:30 PM
Someone in Iowa could contact the Iowan campaign coordinator with this idea.

AlexMerced
11-16-2007, 04:40 PM
Yeah, a big rally, this would be a good thing to spend a lot of that oney on some advertising, send the message that he cares about iowa even if romney doesn't

GHoeberX
11-16-2007, 04:42 PM
Sounds like a really great idea! Big Rally in Iowa with the debates cancelled!

AFM
11-16-2007, 04:45 PM
There is still a December 28th youtube debate as well as many others...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republican_debates
Nov 28, Dec 9, and 4 others.

lynnf
11-16-2007, 05:17 PM
rallies are a dime a dozen...

think it would be better if it were something at least approximating a debate, like a town hall session or question-and-answer....

lynn

JustAnotherV
11-16-2007, 05:19 PM
There is still a December 28th youtube debate as well as many others...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republican_debates
Nov 28, Dec 9, and 4 others.

The problem with this is that there are only 2 left (YouTube Nov 28, and Univision Dec 9th), which are solid dates and before Iowa. There are others but with a week showing in the early states they are unlikely to matter much and there should always be tougher exclusionary standards.

Less than 2 months before it all starts, with only 2 debates to potentially generate news, and if they are anything like the previous MSM ones (unless you count PBS), the questions will be horribly skewed. YouTube sounds nice, but between the last one, and other CNN debates including last night, I have no faith in them to give equal time to Ron Paul. There is a possibility with their recent coverage of him, but I'll believe it when I see it.

We can hopefully get some attention around the 15th/16th events, but need more news, and this is a perfect opportunity in a sweet/empty spot between YouTube and Univision. Also the more events and press before Dec 16th, the more likely that day is to take off big and get better coverage in it's own right, bringing momentum into the Holidays before the primaries start.

JustAnotherV
11-16-2007, 05:21 PM
rallies are a dime a dozen...

think it would be better if it were something at least approximating a debate, like a town hall session or question-and-answer....

Assuming the campaign would do it, I agree. I also think it would make more news if it was explicitly put out there as a challenge to other candidates to fill the cancellation vacuum and also appeal to Iowa voters if it basically said that Ron Paul is coming no matter what, because he cares about what you have to say.

tonyr1988
11-17-2007, 12:30 AM
Assuming the campaign would do it, I agree. I also think it would make more news if it was explicitly put out there as a challenge to other candidates to fill the cancellation vacuum and also appeal to Iowa voters if it basically said that Ron Paul is coming no matter what, because he cares about what you have to say.
"Ron Paul Challenges Other Candidates to Q&A from Iowans"

That would be a beautiful headline. :) It's good no matter what: if a lot of others show up, there's some media attention. If Paul's the only one, then you simply transform it into a normal Q&A, with Paul getting all the time.

error
11-17-2007, 01:30 AM
I told FOX News and the Iowa GOP that, frankly, they should continue to hold the debate without Mitt Romney, because he's proven that he's not a serious candidate and that he doesn't have the proper respect for the people who he wants to vote for him.

And somewhere around here I still have my old Iowa voter registration card...

FireofLiberty
11-17-2007, 04:23 AM
Was this the debate that all the candidates had to meet the 5% polling threshold in order to participate?

I also agree that they should just hold the debate without Flip Romney. If he doesn't want to participate, screw him. He's just one candidate. More time for all the other candidates to talk.

What does everyone think about starting an e-petition to get the debate be held with or without Romney? Good idea?

jrich4rpaul
11-17-2007, 04:26 AM
A Q & A rally is 100% the best idea I've heard.

Ron LOL
11-17-2007, 04:47 AM
I really like the idea of holding something in place of the debate. I think RP could really benefit from some kind of townhall format event. Maybe something like a big speech, and then a Q&A session where RP stays as long as there are questions being asked.

conner_condor
11-17-2007, 04:53 AM
This one is under the radar for some reason I think. They picked it up because faux canceled out. Dec 12 There will be a debate though in Iowa.

http://www.iptv.org/series.cfm/19223

Benaiah
11-17-2007, 05:03 AM
I think that a Q & A or townhall format would be awesome.

A rally and hundreds of Ron Paul supporters would just naturally show up, of course. And I'm sure that they would dispense around the town afterwards.

trispear
11-17-2007, 05:17 AM
I also agree that they should just hold the debate without Flip Romney. If he doesn't want to participate, screw him. He's just one candidate. More time for all the other candidates to talk.

What does everyone think about starting an e-petition to get the debate be held with or without Romney? Good idea?I agree with you. Like they cancelled that Youtube debate in September (?) because Giuliani and Romney wouldn't have appeared.

If Brownback or somebody would have called it off, the show would have gone on. Those that can't or won't appear shouldn't get rewarded in this fashion because it sends the message the primaries revolve around them -- instead they should get "punished" by not being there with the other candidates so they don't do keep playing prima donna in the future.

I don't care if none of the top tier show up - they all give the same canned responses anyway.

ladyliberty
11-17-2007, 05:25 AM
I think it would be a grand opportunity to talk about "fiat" money vs the gold standard - a history lesson indeed - maybe even do a big audio-visual program. That would surely draw LOTS of media attention, given that recent IRS raid. Then give each of the other cadidates an opportunity to discuss and debate fiat money vs gold standard. Maybe they can tell us why fiat money is supposed to be better? ;)

Paulitician
11-17-2007, 05:31 AM
I agree. When you hold a rally, it doesn't do too much to draw new people in. Maybe if someone is on the fence, thinking that Ron Paul doesn't have much of a chance, perhaps a huge rally can change their minds. However, Ron Paul really needs to start bringing in new people. He needs to show the people who vote in the early primaries that he isn't a nutcase, that he has great plans, that he's a nice likeable guy. Too many people do not understand what the "Ron Paul Revolution" is all about, and media certainly isn't going to explain that for us. Ron Paul needs to campaign, and campaign hard!

ladyliberty
11-17-2007, 05:38 AM
If Al Gore can use his prestige and expertise and audio cisual presentation to thoroughly convince people about "Global Warming"

Dr. Paul ought to be able to educate them about the whole flim flam Fiat Money system!

Ron LOL
11-17-2007, 05:50 AM
If Al Gore can use his prestige and expertise and audio cisual presentation to thoroughly convince people about "Global Warming"

Dr. Paul ought to be able to educate them about the whole flim flam Fiat Money system!

You just said "flim flam." That's awesome.

ladyliberty
11-17-2007, 06:04 AM
don't tell me "flim flam" is a gone phrase??? :(

I forget that these boards are full of young people who do not use the same words I do...

robert4rp08
11-17-2007, 06:41 AM
A letter from the Ron Paul campaign, inviting the other candidates for a debate would own so much.

Imagine this...
"Dear [presidential candidate], Since you had plans to be in the area for the now cancelled Fox debate, I invite you for a debate at the xyz in Iowa. The debate will be locally televised and streamed over the internet."

It's a win-win. Ron Paul would demolish anyone in a debate. And anyone that answers no, will look afraid.

theprolific
11-17-2007, 08:18 AM
A letter from the Ron Paul campaign, inviting the other candidates for a debate would own so much.

Imagine this...
"Dear [presidential candidate], Since you had plans to be in the area for the now cancelled Fox debate, I invite you for a debate at the xyz in Iowa. The debate will be locally televised and streamed over the internet."

It's a win-win. Ron Paul would demolish anyone in a debate. And anyone that answers no, will look afraid.

Would this be possible? I hope so. Iowa is essential and anything that could gain some good attention would be important at this stage.

lynnf
11-17-2007, 05:39 PM
This one is under the radar for some reason I think. They picked it up because faux canceled out. Dec 12 There will be a debate though in Iowa.

http://www.iptv.org/series.cfm/19223

ouh,ouh - there is a debate on the 12th! didn't see that one before you pointed it out, so no real reason for an event on the 4th, unless the 12th gets cancelled, too.

lynn

JustAnotherV
11-18-2007, 05:44 PM
ouh,ouh - there is a debate on the 12th! didn't see that one before you pointed it out, so no real reason for an event on the 4th, unless the 12th gets cancelled, too.

I didn't see this before when looking for debates (and damn wikipedia for not being up to date...

I still think that an event on the 4th would be of great benefit though. There is not much time left, Iowa is important, and there is a diminishing PR window here for the campaign to make a move for a different and more dramatic type of exposure.

Also something that built recognition and support going into that 12th debate would be good. Remember everyone this is a snowball operation (cumulative ramp-up), not an attention spike. That only gets us into "Howard Dean" land, and boy does the press love to talk about it in that sense.

So I still vote for the 4th having some sort of event and if you can/want to email the campaign I suggest it (I did). Iowa people (and surrounding states), might still be able to use it as an excuse for a rally(ies?), but without RP showing for that/questions/debate it would not have the same kind of impact and attention draw. Again it's all (unfortunately) about PR and this has left a potential window to come out looking like a champion of voters vs. a big uncaring machine.

hillertexas
11-18-2007, 05:56 PM
I think it would be an awesome idea to hold a "down and dirty" debate. I think the other candidates could possibly be persuaded to attend if it makes them look bad to not. Invite them formally in public and in writing and have them refuse in writing. Use that to promote it as (for example) "Mitt Romney won't debate without the MSM...will you?"

I like the "Ron Paul Challenge" idea

I like the idea of having podiums set up even if they don't attend.

I think impromptu questions from the audience could work if we get a good moderator.

I think it would be really good even if nobody accepts the invitation and no MSM wants to cover it because...

It would turn into a town hall meeting with just Ron Paul and all those in attendence can really get to know him. I picture him with a cordless mike standing in front of a row of empty podiums.

I think the Iowans are pissed about the cancellation and might come to see Ron Paul.

MadTheologian
11-18-2007, 06:00 PM
don't tell me "flim flam" is a gone phrase??? :(

I forget that these boards are full of young people who do not use the same words I do...

Flim-Flam is a great word...even for this child of the 80s, where cartoons featured heroes outwitting flim-flam artists. :D

0zzy
11-18-2007, 06:05 PM
He's going to be on the View dec 4th.

Geronimo
11-18-2007, 07:14 PM
Hold a rally in the vicinity of Mitt's big engagement.