PDA

View Full Version : Is it me or about the USA Today add....

DisabledVet
11-16-2007, 02:15 PM
Is it me or do you think that in the upper part of the add where it talks about what the forefathers have warned and tried to instill in us, that instead of saying "YOU" have these problems it should say that "WE" or "US" have these problems...

Saying "YOU" is an antagonist while "WE" and "US" is a conjoining and more truthful, as "WE" and "US" are all having the same issues to deal with

So instead of "Warned You" is should be "Warned US"

kylejack
11-16-2007, 02:16 PM
Doesn't matter at this point. Its left the tube.

TORPEDO AWAY!

DisabledVet
11-16-2007, 02:17 PM
Doesn't matter at this point. Its left the tube.

TORPEDO AWAY!

No, it does matter as we do have time to correct before print cut off date.

kylejack
11-16-2007, 02:18 PM
No, I don't agree, because it is the founders speaking to us to say that they warned us of these things.

jb4ronpaul
11-16-2007, 02:19 PM
absolutely, even when I talk to people about these problems face to face, I always say we and us. We are in this together and not pointing the finger at people, just asking them to join us to help correct these problems. otherwise I come across as arrogant.

tonyr1988
11-16-2007, 02:41 PM
I don't know - I didn't get that impression the first time I read it, and no one that I showed it to (I e-mailed it to a few USA Today readers I know) had mentioned that. I think that most people look at it as the plural "you." If you used "we" or "us" - it wouldn't be the founders talking, it would be someone from present-day America.

Cowlesy
11-16-2007, 02:42 PM
Sorry, this ad was posted about 5x to the board for people to review and comment. How many opportunities do you guys need?

The ad is terrific, and like Kylejack noted, the Torpedo has left the tube.

ronpaulyourmom
11-16-2007, 02:47 PM
If you look at the ad, it says:

"We the founders..." (as in they are speaking to us)

"...warned you" (it cannot say warned "us" because they would then be warning themselves, it's odd, they dont warn themselves because they are the ones giving advice, they might remind themselves, but they certainly woudln't warn themselves.)

"us" wouldn't come out right as you read it, imo. The "you" is in reference to all Americans / people living in this day and age, not just the a certain segment of the population. In that respect, it's inclusive, because the differentiation is in reference to time periods, not collective groups.