PDA

View Full Version : How the Pentagon Changes Hollywood Scripts to Drive Military Recruitment

green73
06-09-2012, 04:01 PM
Normally in the film making process, script changes are made all the time. But few realize it's the Pentagon frequently calling the shots. RT talks to writer and former journalist for Daily Variety and The Hollywood Reporter, - David L. Robb. He shares his thoughts and sheds light on the approval process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=o7DTKhWGGZw#!

oyarde
06-10-2012, 12:46 PM
I do not think the avg 17 yr old could find a job or come up with the money to take his girfriend to the movie ....

Seraphim
06-10-2012, 12:48 PM
Don't forget about the NSA.

Vessol
06-10-2012, 12:58 PM
Yeah, it's definitely obvious. Look at say, the recent War of the Worlds movie. The son wants to fight back and make a difference, and the military looks all cool and all(actually national guard soldiers I think). Hilariously they all die in a massive single attack, so maybe it isn't the BEST pentagon propaganda. The Transformers movie was huge propaganda for the military.

I do not think the avg 17 yr old could find a job or come up with the money to take his girfriend to the movie ....

When I was 16, about 5 years ago, my girlfriend and I would regularly see movies every couple of weeks or so. Movie tickets are not -that- expensive, plus it was worth it because it gave her and I a place to freely make out and such for 2 hours straight.

CaptainAmerica
06-10-2012, 01:05 PM
the Pentagon didn't like the Avengers lol

paulbot24
06-10-2012, 06:23 PM
I like the Pentagon's reason for refusing to consult with The Avengers team. They said they couldn't relate to the idea of a broad international entity of shadowy figures with no real allegiances making major decision that impact America. Pssst, hint: It's a really tall, boring looking building in New York with the largest collection of flags flying out front that you have ever seen. Unbelievable.

oyarde
06-10-2012, 08:26 PM
Yeah, it's definitely obvious. Look at say, the recent War of the Worlds movie. The son wants to fight back and make a difference, and the military looks all cool and all(actually national guard soldiers I think). Hilariously they all die in a massive single attack, so maybe it isn't the BEST pentagon propaganda. The Transformers movie was huge propaganda for the military.

When I was 16, about 5 years ago, my girlfriend and I would regularly see movies every couple of weeks or so. Movie tickets are not -that- expensive, plus it was worth it because it gave her and I a place to freely make out and such for 2 hours straight. I know you are a hard working guy , but the economy has kind of gone to shit in the past five years....

VoluntaryAmerican
06-10-2012, 08:36 PM
To my knowledge this has been going on since World War 2.

There is a good documentary on this,

Going Hollywood: The War Years

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095232/

libertarian4321
06-11-2012, 12:48 AM
To my knowledge this has been going on since World War 2.

There is a good documentary on this,

Going Hollywood: The War Years

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095232/

Even before that.

Of course, the military is not going to allow anyone to use military facilities to portray the military negatively.

Does this really come as a surprise to anyone?

This guy is full of crap, btw, when he says the military won't cooperate with any movie that shows anyone in the military in any negative light. Plenty of movies the military has cooperated with have shown some negative aspects of soldiers/the military- including classics like Patton and Tora! Tora! Tora!. They also supported some movies that had pretty strong anti-war messages like Hamburger Hill. They just won't cooperate with movies they feel will be "hit" pieces that go out of their way to present the military in what they feel is a uniformly negative light.

It seems like the military can be a bit arbitrary in what they support, but its clear that they have supported plenty of films which do not portray all soldiers as perfect.

alucard13mmfmj
06-11-2012, 01:19 AM
You know... the US Army Recruitment Center, sent me the game "America's Army" after I graduated from high school.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A9ILQHDyZs

I am not sure what the US Army was trying to accomplish by implying that the army was like a game lol.

Demigod
06-11-2012, 01:39 AM
Even before that.

Of course, the military is not going to allow anyone to use military facilities to portray the military negatively.

Does this really come as a surprise to anyone?

This guy is full of crap, btw, when he says the military won't cooperate with any movie that shows anyone in the military in any negative light. Plenty of movies the military has cooperated with have shown some negative aspects of soldiers/the military- including classics like Patton and Tora! Tora! Tora!. They also supported some movies that had pretty strong anti-war messages like Hamburger Hill. They just won't cooperate with movies they feel will be "hit" pieces that go out of their way to present the military in what they feel is a uniformly negative light.

It seems like the military can be a bit arbitrary in what they support, but its clear that they have supported plenty of films which do not portray all soldiers as perfect.

I saw a documentary once about this and they said that the movie can show negative traits of soldiers as long as those soldiers are punished by the military or turn around and do something heroic in the end as a self punishment for his previous deeds.

Also as I remember they did not even help hurt locker because it showed a soldiers life as too stressful, because as everyone knows joining the military is all helicopter rides and getting help moments before you die.

showpan
06-11-2012, 01:41 AM
You know... the US Army Recruitment Center, sent me the game "America's Army" after I graduated from high school.

I am not sure what the US Army was trying to accomplish by implying that the army was like a game lol.

Of course it is, you get to sit at some base in Nevada and launch missiles from drones you are remote flying in Pakistan. You get to star in your own zombie apocalypse since Muslims are obviously evil zombies....don't forget to aim for the head.
All those warlike games that come out are simply training the next generation of fighters.
The games and TV's are getting better too, playing call to duty on the widescreen/Wii with the rifle is awesome.

ProIndividual
06-11-2012, 03:45 AM
The state is brainwashing kids to die in wars of aggression and occupation while thinking of themselves as heroes, not murderers? No way! (sarcasm)

We really have to raise kids to resist this cult of death and rape. They aren't defending our freedoms most of the time, aren't fighting for YOU most of the time, and aren't heroes at all most of the time. It's hard to argue that of all our military adventures since WW1 (which was not necessary for us), that any more than 2 of those wars (WW2 and the first 2 years of Afghanistan MAYBE) were in self defense legitmately. The rest of the wars we were in, we were the villains.

Ask Hannity about it...he'll call me a "Blame America Firster". Damn facts make you unpatriotic apparently.

ProIndividual
06-11-2012, 03:45 AM
dp

phill4paul
06-11-2012, 05:49 AM
We'll be getting a whole lot more of it.

“The Smith-Mundt Modernization Act of 2012” (H.R. 5736)

http://rt.com/usa/news/propaganda-us-smith-amendment-903/

Noble Savage
06-11-2012, 06:40 AM

dude ya fragged your own guy!