PDA

View Full Version : Arkansas district convention wins!

NatePinAR
06-09-2012, 02:46 PM
On a brighter note.. Arkansas district conventions happening today. 4 districts. 3 delegates/ 3 alternates from each.. In district 2, we won *all three*delegates and 2 out of 3 alternates! Waiting to hear about other districts, but I heard we swept at least one other district, possibly two. One district is being contested somehow. Will update when more is known.

eleganz
06-09-2012, 02:48 PM
thank you guys for all of your hard work. We march forward!!

thatpeculiarcat
06-09-2012, 02:50 PM
While I was all obsessed with Texas I didn't even realize Arkansas was going on.

Right on! Hope we can get a majority of what is up for grabs today!

AmberH
06-09-2012, 02:52 PM
Never mind thought you were in district 3. I had posted that we won district 2 but you already know that.

Warmon
06-09-2012, 03:05 PM
+rep Good to finally hear some good news today!

LCG8928
06-09-2012, 03:07 PM
Keep up the good work! Keep us informed.

AmberH
06-09-2012, 03:09 PM
The only drama that happened at our district was when the chairman told everyone they should scratch out one of our guys because he didn't have the "backbone" to show up. One lady told him she didn't think that was the right thing to say about someone.

NatePinAR
06-09-2012, 08:28 PM
Yes, that guy was rude and unprofessional. Was an ignorant comment, and that wasn't the only one. Or it's possible he was knowingly trying to influence some gullible people. Regardless, I'm glad he did not get elected delegate.

*Final results* From what I've heard: In Arkansas, Paul supporters have won 6 out of 12 district delegates and 4 alternates. There may be a couple of alternates competing at the state convention on the 23rd. These numbers are a lot better than anyone expected. Room for improvement IMO, but still excellent results.

opinionatedfool
06-09-2012, 08:45 PM
Great work guys! Winning 6 out of 12 is wonderful. Keep this post bumped up for the good news and to help push down the 50 or so Rand threads;)

parocks
06-09-2012, 09:16 PM
good job!

sailingaway
06-09-2012, 09:18 PM
Woot! So do these advance to state or are these direct to Tampa delegates?

kelset
06-09-2012, 09:45 PM
Woot! So do these advance to state or are these direct to Tampa delegates?

These go straight to Tampa. There will be state convention in a few weeks to allocate the other ~20 delegates.

District 4 went 3/3 for Paul! But I don't believe they got any alternates.

jay_dub
06-09-2012, 10:25 PM
This thread is a cool drink of water to a thirsty man.

Thank you, Arkansas!!

ClydeCoulter
06-09-2012, 10:34 PM
This thread is a cool drink of water to a thirsty man.

Thank you, Arkansas!!

Yes, it is :)

sailingaway
06-09-2012, 10:34 PM
These go straight to Tampa. There will be state convention in a few weeks to allocate the other ~20 delegates.

District 4 went 3/3 for Paul! But I don't believe they got any alternates.

then they just all have to show up!!

+ rep for hard work and good news!!

The Northbreather
06-09-2012, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the good news!

juvanya
06-10-2012, 12:46 PM
Are 1 and 3 confirmed non Paul?

GunnyFreedom
06-10-2012, 12:47 PM
Please see:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?380148-RNC-Delegates-Organizing-for-Tampa

thank you!

AmberH
06-10-2012, 12:56 PM
Are 1 and 3 confirmed non Paul?

That is what I have been told.

Britannia
06-10-2012, 02:43 PM
then they just all have to show up!!

+ rep for hard work and good news!!

Turning up seems to be about half the battle at these functions!

juvanya
06-10-2012, 02:45 PM
http://dougwead.wordpress.com/2012/06/10/ron-paul-surprise-in-arkansas/

Doug hints that we got 1 delegate at 3rd...

District 3: Now this one was interesting. They held their convention very differently, opting to divide into counties and hold a mock caucus type election….although caucus rules were not really followed since “caucus goers” were not allowed to speak to their counties.

Because of the change in style, they were off to a slow start. We had votes all across the room in every county and the county establishment started trying to work against each other to get their own county delegates elected. They have a bit of a rivalry going between the counties, particularly Washington and Benton.

A slug fest started and Paul delegates were up for the fight. There was a lot of confusion and as they were caucusing a call came in to a big wig establishment person and that call was overheard.

“They took District 2!” I don’t know who from district 2 called district 4, but the word was out, somehow, the Paul People had taken a district!

A meeting was quickly called for all of the County Chairmen and the fight was on.

Some of our people, including our 2 delegates, tried explaining to their chairman that we have the votes to make things happen, if they would just play ball. They ignored us and attempted to get their way. The first delegate was elected and the second. Neither were Stealth Delegates, but it also was not quite going the way these County Chairmen wanted. I guess they weren’t getting who they each wanted.

Once again, the plea was made for the Benton County Chairman to work with us, or go down in defeat. As I understand it, a deal was struck and we elected Duane Neal of the rules committee and although not a Paul supporter, he was a man who had helped us along the way due to an ethical stand on “following the rules.”

In exchange, we took Alternate seats 1 and 2 for our only two delegates in the running. And we helped elect the 4th.

Now, I know…we didn’t get our two in as delegates, but it was still a victory and here is why. We showed them that we could block them and prevent them from getting what they wanted, and we could get what we wanted accomplished with just a little cooperation. They may not like us but they now know that they need us! Sound familiar? Couple that with our District 2 and 4 sweep and the Constitutional Republicans just became the biggest force in Arkansas GOP state politics!

Just to be clear: Every one of our people, with the exception of district 1, were elected to either delegate or alternate. This means 10 out of 14 are going to Tampa! Bravo County Delegates! (6 Stealth Delegates and 4 Stealth Alternates, with 1 Regular delegate and 2 Regular Alternates gifted by us, to show we can be respectful and kind but still in charge.)

GunnyFreedom
06-10-2012, 02:47 PM
Turning up seems to be about half the battle at these functions!

Correct. All we have to do is turn our people out and we win at every level. Literally.

Britannia
06-10-2012, 02:53 PM
Correct. All we have to do is turn our people out and we win at every level. Literally.

GunnyFreedom!!! :D:D:D

undergroundrr
06-10-2012, 03:49 PM

As a state delegate in Texas, I got a stark demonstration of that this weekend. Our congressional district, in selecting alternates to the national convention, had a choice between a liberty delegate and two establishment operatives. The delegate candidate needed the majority plus one to be chosen. This gentleman was from a small, underrepresented county, he was young and his resume couldn't hold a candle to the old party people. He won with the majority plus one.

It was the first time in my life I voted on a race that, without my vote, would have gone to the old guard. There were many very close votes that would have turned out very differently if just a handful of our people hadn't been there.

There were also many people with virtually no party history in Texas who ended up being made delegates to the national convention due to the support of the large number of respectful and respected Paul people present.

This was my third convention. In two or four more years, many of those who got into it in 2008 are going to be established, comfortable and effective. They already are to a certain extent.

LopTarDaBoo
06-10-2012, 04:19 PM
I was at the AR District 2 Convention. Very mellow. We just had a ton of liberty-minded people there and we knew who we wanted to send to the convention--plain and simple. They counted the votes, and were surprised at some of the new faces who won, but they didn't try any tricks. The only ones upset were some old-timers who had been going to the convention for lord knows how many decades and who acted like it was a vacation cruise they could win.

Keep in mind the winners may favor Ron's ideas, but they are bound to the primary results AFAIK.

The Republican party is weak in AR, so they are not really malicious to Paul supporters. They are happy to see some youth involvement.

LopTarDaBoo
06-10-2012, 04:22 PM
The only drama that happened at our district was when the chairman told everyone they should scratch out one of our guys because he didn't have the "backbone" to show up. One lady told him she didn't think that was the right thing to say about someone.

With respect to that, he wasn't singling out the Ron Paul guy. There were four or five people who were no-shows and he suggested delegates not consider voting for them. His point being that if they didn't show up at the district convention, odds are they wouldn't show up at national (based on his past experience).

I didn't see any anti-Paul sentiment expressed there at all. In fact the chair very clearly stated that the Romney-approved delegate list was non-binding--several times.

AmberH
06-10-2012, 05:13 PM
With respect to that, he wasn't singling out the Ron Paul guy. There were four or five people who were no-shows and he suggested delegates not consider voting for them. His point being that if they didn't show up at the district convention, odds are they wouldn't show up at national (based on his past experience).

I didn't see any anti-Paul sentiment expressed there at all. In fact the chair very clearly stated that the Romney-approved delegate list was non-binding--several times.

Agreed, I wasn't saying he was anti Paul I was saying that was the only drama and besides that everything was smooth and calm. In another thread I mentioned that he stated the Romney delegate list was non binding. He was rude with his backbone comment and other comments in general but it was geared at everyone who didn't show up. You can't immediately claim that someone who didn't show up has no "backbone" when you don't even know the reasons why they weren't there. Many people found many of his comments rude and annoying not just Ron Paul supporters.