PDA

View Full Version : "The biggest difference between Gary Johnson and Ron Paul"

RP Supporter
06-08-2012, 11:37 PM
http://www.uncoveredpolitics.com/2012/06/08/family-ties-the-biggest-difference-between-gary-johnson-and-ron-paul/#comment-28819

Critical article from a Gary Johnson supporter. Basically accuses Paul of running a nepotistic cult who worships the last name Paul. Because you know, no one batted an eye when Rand endorsed Romney. :rolleyes:

Also makes the laughable case that Johnson's done more for liberty then Paul. Tot hat I say, how many of us would have eve heard of Johnson without hearing of Ron first? Hell, would Gary have even have run without witnessing Paul's success last time?

Victor Grey
06-10-2012, 12:01 AM
Gary talks about vague things and puts issues into a small scope and concept.

"The debt. Debt bad. I stand Stop Debt. Marijuana.
Freedoms. . .

I'm Gary Johnson."

Then he talks about New Mexico, and hiking.

Ron Paul talks about specific things and puts issues into a broad scope and concept.

*10 minute discourse on the federal reserve*
". . .and that is why debt is bad, and how it pertains to economic and social freedom."

Then he talks about Government, and bicycles.

showpan
06-10-2012, 12:06 AM
Yeah, I just checked out his site and came to the conclusion in about 3-4 minutes that he doesn't actually have a clue. It appears that he has borrowed some of his ideology from Ron Paul but he doesn't really understand what needs to be done and why.

Mini-Me
06-11-2012, 12:12 AM
Gary is a "libertarian" in the "fiscally conservative, socially liberal" sense. He doesn't fit into the typical two-party mold, and he aligns more closely with libertarians than anyone else, which incidentally happens to anyone with a shred of common sense. ;) He doesn't have a solid philosophical footing in enlightenment principles, let alone libertarian principles, but I think people should show some restraint in their criticism of him...he's a decent enough person, even if he's not my favorite cup of tea, and even if I'm not totally comfortable with everything he's done (e.g. private prisons can be extremely dangerous if the incentives aren't correct, and if I were going to lay out a plan to scale down the state all the way to anarcho-capitalism, that would pretty much be the very last point of action, to be approached with extreme caution). Assuming Romney becomes the GOP nominee, I'll probably vote for Gary in November, unless there's some massive "write-in-Paul" campaign. Either one accomplishes the purpose of a protest vote, so to me it would be about picking the one that speaks loudest.

JohnAshman
06-14-2012, 01:23 PM
http://www.uncoveredpolitics.com/2012/06/08/family-ties-the-biggest-difference-between-gary-johnson-and-ron-paul/#comment-28819Also makes the laughable case that Johnson's done more for liberty then Paul. Tot hat I say, how many of us would have eve heard of Johnson without hearing of Ron first? Hell, would Gary have even have run without witnessing Paul's success last time?

Well, I think that the point being made is that as governor, he actually had the power to implement things whereas one of 435 people, Ron didn't have the power. I think there is no doubt as to who has been the loudest and most successful spokersperson.

JohnAshman
06-14-2012, 01:27 PM
Yeah, I just checked out his site and came to the conclusion in about 3-4 minutes that he doesn't actually have a clue. It appears that he has borrowed some of his ideology from Ron Paul but he doesn't really understand what needs to be done and why.

His 8 years of governership shows he is quite "clued". The difference is that he is more of an intuitive person who instinctively "gets it". He is also willing to listen to highly intellectual arguments while keeping both of his feet on the ground. He looks at things through cost/benefit as well, which generally sides with the libertarian perspective.

Keep in mind that Ron Paul is not a libertarian, he's a constitutional conservative and a social conservative at that. Gary Johnson is closer to a libertarian and a pragmatic one at that. Which mean that he won't demand the impossible, he will simply set his course on impossible and get as close as he can to it. One of his first lessons was that you don't refuse to take a small step because you want to take a bigger one.

tfurrh
06-14-2012, 01:34 PM
I'M TIRED OF THE INFIGHTING!!!

Sh!t you guys.

NoOneButPaul
06-14-2012, 01:35 PM
Gary Johnson sucks thats the biggest difference.

If you're going to vote for Johnson just write in Ron Paul instead. You say it won't count as much as Gary Johnson but if years from now if you have to say "I voted for Gary Johnson instead of Ron Paul to send a message that was never received" then you're going to feel bad about it.

Ron Paul's ideas will win out in the end, i'd rather be apart of that legacy, that's why I think it counts more.

Bruehound
06-14-2012, 01:38 PM
I find GJ far more tolerable than i do his supporters.

JohnAshman
06-14-2012, 01:51 PM

If you're going to vote for Johnson just write in Ron Paul instead. You say it won't count as much as Gary Johnson but if years from now if you have to say "I voted for Gary Johnson instead of Ron Paul to send a message that was never received" then you're going to feel bad about it.

Ron Paul's ideas will win out in the end, i'd rather be apart of that legacy, that's why I think it counts more.

They're not Ron Paul's ideas. There's no copyright on freedom.

jmdrake

And the reason I'll feel bad is because.....? Oh yeah. You didn't give one.

The "if you don't write in Ron Paul you are betraying his ideas" argument died with Rand's endorsement of Mitt Romney. I'm not mad at Rand. He has to do what he thinks is best. So do I. He's being pragmatic. So am I. If a 2012 version of Chuck Baldwin is running I'll vote for him. Otherwise I'm voting for Gary Johnson. Enough with the cat herding already.

JohnAshman

Me too, and I'm one of them :)

JohnAshman
06-14-2012, 01:53 PM

If you vote for someone who isn't on the ballot, you're not sending a message at all. That's the unfortunate reality.

jmdrake
06-14-2012, 01:59 PM
His 8 years of governership shows he is quite "clued". The difference is that he is more of an intuitive person who instinctively "gets it". He is also willing to listen to highly intellectual arguments while keeping both of his feet on the ground. He looks at things through cost/benefit as well, which generally sides with the libertarian perspective.

Keep in mind that Ron Paul is not a libertarian, he's a constitutional conservative and a social conservative at that. Gary Johnson is closer to a libertarian and a pragmatic one at that. Which mean that he won't demand the impossible, he will simply set his course on impossible and get as close as he can to it. One of his first lessons was that you don't refuse to take a small step because you want to take a bigger one.

Gary Johnson's views on abortion are the only thing that might keep me from not voting for him. Sorry but I don't buy the "you're not an individual until you leave the birth canal" argument. That said GJ's views in general match mind better than Obama's and McCain's and I have no interest in a protest write in Ron Paul vote that won't even be counted.

Sola_Fide
06-14-2012, 01:59 PM
Gary is a "libertarian" in the "fiscally conservative, socially liberal" sense. He doesn't fit into the typical two-party mold, and he aligns more closely with libertarians than anyone else, which incidentally happens to anyone with a shred of common sense. ;) He doesn't have a solid philosophical footing in enlightenment principles, let alone libertarian principles, but I think people should show some restraint in their criticism of him...he's a decent enough person, even if he's not my favorite cup of tea, and even if I'm not totally comfortable with everything he's done (e.g. private prisons can be extremely dangerous if the incentives aren't correct, and if I were going to lay out a plan to scale down the state all the way to anarcho-capitalism, that would pretty much be the very last point of action, to be approached with extreme caution. Assuming Romney becomes the GOP nominee, I'll probably vote for Gary in November, unless there's some massive "write-in-Paul" campaign. Either one accomplishes the purpose of a protest vote, so to me it would be about picking the one that speaks loudest.

Absolutely agree.

newyearsrevolution08
06-14-2012, 02:05 PM

many say the same exact thing about us RP guys.

tfurrh
06-14-2012, 02:12 PM
many say the same exact thing about us RP guys.
And Christians for that matter.

JohnAshman
06-14-2012, 07:00 PM
Gary Johnson's views on abortion are the only thing that might keep me from not voting for him. Sorry but I don't buy the "you're not an individual until you leave the birth canal" argument. That said GJ's views in general match mind better than Obama's and McCain's and I have no interest in a protest write in Ron Paul vote that won't even be counted.

That's cool. Although, so you know, Johnson did say that his judicial appointments would be conservative, original intent guys who would probably look askance at RvW.

I'm pro-life in principle, but don't see how to get from here to there without tearing the nation apart at the seams.

cheapseats
06-14-2012, 07:12 PM
...Although, so you know, Johnson did say that his judicial appointments would be conservative, original intent guys who would probably look askance at RvW...

What ELSE would he say? Sheesh.

[I might flop-flip and play Devil's Advocate, rather than keep quiet about Gary Johnson. If you WANT me to keep quiet, I'd be cooperating with your Plan while I'm decidering. So many Political Operatives, so little time.]

dannno
06-14-2012, 07:18 PM
Also makes the laughable case that Johnson's done more for liberty then Paul. Tot hat I say, how many of us would have eve heard of Johnson without hearing of Ron first? Hell, would Gary have even have run without witnessing Paul's success last time?

Honestly I wish I'd heard of Ron Paul first, but I heard of Gary Johnson back around '99 when he was advocating legalizing cannabis in New Mexico. I wrote him a letter of support and I got a nice letter back. I considered myself a libertarian from around '96-'00, then went "Green Libertarian" until '07 when I started supporting Ron Paul. I was and still am completely baffled I'd never heard of Ron Paul before '07.

Gary Johnson is an ok beltway type libertarian who I'd support and vote for, but he doesn't seem to have the entire philosophy down very well.

Liberty74
06-14-2012, 07:18 PM
Critical article from a Gary Johnson supporter. Basically accuses Paul of running a nepotistic cult who worships the last name Paul. Because you know, no one batted an eye when Rand endorsed Romney. :rolleyes:

And yet the backlash continues against those that criticized Rand's "Paul" endorsement of the enemy.

I'm voting for Gary. To those that want to play nice with the Republicans, all I can say is the establishment will eat you alive, spit you out while saying "thanks for voting for us. Where else are you gonna go?" LOL - The two party system is designed with purpose and on purpose. Jesse Ventura came out the other day advocating the abolishment of the parties. I tend to agree that would be an awesome solution. People would actually have to vote on the person and their issues, not a party as 90% of the Republicans and Democrats do. That false left right, Rep Dem paradigm must be broken to save the country.

Weston White
06-14-2012, 07:52 PM

For me, evertime I read about Gary Johnson I think about this article (http://garyjohnsongrassrootsblog.blogspot.com/2011/10/johnson-is-only-candidate-promising-to.html), at which point I no longer care to think or read about him. WIRP, WIRP, WIRP!

Weston White
06-14-2012, 08:02 PM
If you vote for someone who isn't on the ballot, you're not sending a message at all. That's the unfortunate reality.

Oh please, enough with the contemptuously impertinent.

Weston White
06-14-2012, 08:09 PM
They're not Ron Paul's ideas. There's no copyright on freedom.

No, only bags of money to be made, just ask that charlatan Glenn Beck.

Intoxiklown
06-14-2012, 08:11 PM

You keep saying this as an absolute, all the while ignoring states differ. 42 states in the union allow and count write ins. Only 8 do not.

Weston White
06-14-2012, 08:18 PM
To those that want to play nice with the Republicans, all I can say is the establishment will eat you alive, spit you out while saying "thanks for voting for us. Where else are you gonna go?" LOL - The two party system is designed with purpose and on purpose.

And that is all the more reason for us (and all others) to continue infiltrating and infecting them from within, just as a parasite does its host. They after all have worked so tirelessly to lull us and conspiratorially hijack our Nation. Well, now we are awaking from that lengthy slumber and putting them to both task and shame. Now is not the time to cozy up and hide in third-parties. We are kicking their rumps and they are becoming very worried. Their defeat is both impending and inevitable.

XTreat
06-14-2012, 08:36 PM
Oh Jesus, Donderrrrroooooo is all over that article spewing stupidity about the "greatest threat ever in the history of our country".

keh10
06-14-2012, 09:38 PM
You keep saying this as an absolute, all the while ignoring states differ. 42 states in the union allow and count write ins. Only 8 do not.

Arkansas is one of them, so I'll be voting GJ.

soulcyon
06-14-2012, 09:41 PM
ROFL @ ISLAMO-FASCISM...

Thank god I've never heard of this blog

... Double LMAO @ that moron Eric Dondero

Right at the top of his homepage is promoting "National Defense" - which is exactly what Ron Paul has always advocated for - yet he clings onto this unreal view that Ron Paul's foreign policy is flawed. I'm not even gonna bother replying to that troll, just a waste of my time.

papitosabe
06-14-2012, 09:54 PM
That false left right, Rep Dem paradigm must be broken to save the country.

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

JohnAshman
06-15-2012, 04:55 PM
What ELSE would he say? Sheesh.

[I might flop-flip and play Devil's Advocate, rather than keep quiet about Gary Johnson. If you WANT me to keep quiet, I'd be cooperating with your Plan while I'm decidering. So many Political Operatives, so little time.]

He COULD say that he goes by the Democrat/ACLU version of what a judge should be. But he didn't.

I am for puppies. That doesn't mean I will promise to put one in every person's home.

JohnAshman
06-15-2012, 04:59 PM
Honestly I wish I'd heard of Ron Paul first, but I heard of Gary Johnson back around '99 when he was advocating legalizing cannabis in New Mexico. I wrote him a letter of support and I got a nice letter back. I considered myself a libertarian from around '96-'00, then went "Green Libertarian" until '07 when I started supporting Ron Paul. I was and still am completely baffled I'd never heard of Ron Paul before '07.

Gary Johnson is an ok beltway type libertarian who I'd support and vote for, but he doesn't seem to have the entire philosophy down very well.

Say's the guy who changes philosophies like underwear ;)

I don't see what is to get exactly. I'm not sure why people have to explore the foundations of being a good person. Some people just ARE good people. They didn't have to figure out how to be that, they just ARE that. It's like "why are you a good person?" and some people will be able to list all the books they read, the conclusions they came to, what life changing event happened, etc, etc. And some people will say "you know, I don't know how to respond, I just believe in being a good person".

JohnAshman
06-15-2012, 05:36 PM
Oh please, enough with the contemptuously impertinent.

Just stating the obvious. I'm sorry if that bothers you.

DerailingDaTrain
06-15-2012, 05:57 PM
I'm still wondering why you haven't been banned.

MJU1983
06-15-2012, 09:07 PM
http://www.uncoveredpolitics.com/2012/06/08/family-ties-the-biggest-difference-between-gary-johnson-and-ron-paul/#comment-28819

I don't worship the lastname Paul. :p

Ron Paul cured my apathy, Rand Paul brought it back.

RonRocks
06-16-2012, 07:29 PM
Holy crap @ that blog and that tool Eric Dondero (same dude that put Ron on blast when he was #1 in Iowa). Islamo Fascism.. hide your kids, hide your wife..they're rapin errrybody. That punk needs to stop with the BS and just admit he loves Netanyahu and his sociopathic policies. Islamists murdering Jews? Has he really seen the numbers? The Palestinians have suffered through genocide for decades now!

As far as GJ, he has my vote for the general..he's a good dude... no RP, but who is? Some of you guys have to stop the criticism of people that have pretty much have the exact same interests.

DaninPA
06-17-2012, 10:28 AM

That's why I voted Baldwin in '08. Next morning the local paper ran a story about how many write-ins RP got :confused:

DerailingDaTrain
06-17-2012, 11:24 AM

New RPF member JohnAshman has a blog now?

JohnAshman
06-17-2012, 01:38 PM
That's why I voted Baldwin in '08. Next morning the local paper ran a story about how many write-ins RP got :confused:

Obviously it depends from state to state. But for instance, if Johnson reaches 5%, I believe, that qualifies the Libertarian Party for federal matching funds for the next series of elections. That will put some fear into the 2-party system.

jonhowe
06-17-2012, 02:34 PM
Ron Paul is an idea man. Ron understands the world in a way that connects each and every issue together.

Gary has correct opinions on most of the issues important to me, and I think he's just starting to understand the "bigger picture". Is he as ideologically pure and as much of a visionary as Ron? NO. He will, however, the on the ballot, and I will be voting for him.

HardyMacia
06-18-2012, 05:38 AM
For me, evertime I read about Gary Johnson I think about this article (http://garyjohnsongrassrootsblog.blogspot.com/2011/10/johnson-is-only-candidate-promising-to.html), at which point I no longer care to think or read about him. WIRP, WIRP, WIRP!

What's wrong with that article? It's factual and not dissing on Paul. Paul's plan takes 3 years before a balanced budget is submitted and Johnson is promising to do it in the first year. And, I wrote the article.

mrsat_98
06-18-2012, 05:48 AM
He biggest difference is Ron Paul has a chance unlike Gary.

HardyMacia
06-18-2012, 05:50 AM

From a legislative point of view Johnson and Paul are the same on abortion. When Johnson was governor and the NM Right to Life Committee endorsed him. He's opposed to late term abortions and signed the bill into law in NM, he's for parental notification, he's opposed to tax payer funded abortions, then thinks Roe v Wade was wrongly decided and should be overturned, abortions should be left up to the states, and he appointed judges like Judge Napolitano and Judge Gray to the Supreme Court.

The difference is at a state level he'd vote side with a women's right to choose up until viability of the fetus, but this doesn't' factor into the equation for a President. This pretty much matches my stance -- there have been many pro-life libertarians I've supported over the years even though I disagreed with them on this issue because by the time we get to splitting the last hairs of the issue we'll have the rest of the country fixed.

Weston White
06-18-2012, 06:21 AM
What's wrong with that article? It's factual and not dissing on Paul. Paul's plan takes 3 years before a balanced budget is submitted and Johnson is promising to do it in the first year. And, I wrote the article.

1. Because, he has a plan, but he is unable to reveal what that plan is.
2. For he cannot reveal his plan, because it is an impossible achievement.
3. Ron Paul's plan is much more realistic and palatable.
4. Annually, the federal government is overspending its budget into the several trillions, there is simply no way at all to just come into office and balance that budget (the annual interest being racked up alone is around $1-trillion).

cheapseats
06-18-2012, 08:23 AM

Many people outside the bubble say the same of Ron Paul.

cheapseats
06-18-2012, 08:26 AM

Miracle Max, THE PRINCESS BRIDE: "Have fun storming the castle!"

JohnAshman
06-18-2012, 07:11 PM
1. Because, he has a plan, but he is unable to reveal what that plan is.
2. For he cannot reveal his plan, because it is an impossible achievement.
3. Ron Paul's plan is much more realistic and palatable.
4. Annually, the federal government is overspending its budget into the several trillions, there is simply no way at all to just come into office and balance that budget (the annual interest being racked up alone is around $1-trillion).

So. You're saying that Ron Paul is more PRAGMATIC than Gary Johnson? Because most people are arguing precisely the opposite.

The interest on the debt, last I checked, was around $300B, probably close to $400B or so now, but not $1T.

JohnAshman
06-18-2012, 07:21 PM

That's an interesting theory. Do tell me how that will happen.