View Full Version : Green Police: Miami Beach To Make Recycling Compulsory

John F Kennedy III
06-07-2012, 10:18 AM
Green Police: Miami Beach To Make Recycling Compulsory

Up to $2500 dollar fine for violations

Paul Joseph Watson
Infowars.com
Thursday, June 7, 2012

Audi’s infamous ‘Green Police’ Superbowl commercial may not be far off coming to fruition. Miami Beach has passed an ordinance that makes recycling compulsory from July 2013, with those who fail to comply under threat of fines up to $2500 dollars.

“People, who live in the city of Miami Beach, must soon recycle or possibly face fines,” reports Local10.com.

“Once the ordinance goes in effect in July 2013, people who don’t recycle would be fined $350 for their first violation, $500 for their second violation and $1,000 for the third violation.”

The Miami Herald reports that the fine for a fourth violation would total $2500.

Mandatory recycling ordinances represent another example of how big government is exploiting the environmental movement to increase regulation and big brother snooping on Americans’ private lives.

Local authorities across the U.S. are using cutting edge technology to spy on the contents of people’s trash cans and issue them with fines for non-compliance.

“In a growing number of cities across the U.S., local governments are placing computer chips in recycling bins to collect data on refuse disposal, and then fining residents who don’t participate in recycling efforts and forcing others into educational programs meant to instill respect for the environment,” reports Fox News.

Such programs are already in place in major cities such as Charlotte, N.C., Cleveland, Ohio, Boise, Idaho, and Flint, Michigan.

In Cleveland, people who fail to recycle are flagged by the RFID chip embedded in their trash can, added to a database and then targeted by green cops who are dispatched to intimidate homeowners.

If a resident fails to bring their recycling cart to the curb for as little a period as three weeks, a “trash supervisor” rummages through their regular trash to check if the resident is throwing away recyclable materials (glass, metal cans, plastic bottles, paper and cardboard). If the regular trash can contains more than 10% of these items, a $100 dollar fine is immediately issued.

“We’re going to run reports on who this particular truck picked up from today and if it indicates on a consistent basis that your household hasn’t been recycling, then we have officers that I will send out … to check and see what’s going on,” Waste Collection Commissioner Ronnie Owens told ABC News.

Back in December, Washington DC resident Patricia White was fined $2,000 dollars by the Department of Public Works for throwing homemade cat litter in her trash. The inspector admitted to literally digging through White’s trash in order to issue the ticket.

Harvard University computer science professor and privacy expert Harry Lewis warns that the nationwide effort to keep tabs on the contents of people’s trash betrays the fact that the government views the American people as livestock.

“It’s treating people like cattle!” said Lewis. Are people “supposed to produce recyclable waste, rather than certain quantities of milk”? What, he asked, happens if you don’t generate enough?

original article here:
http://www.infowars.com/green-police-miami-beach-to-make-recycling-compulsory/

John F Kennedy III
06-07-2012, 01:24 PM
bump

specsaregood
06-07-2012, 01:28 PM
Welcome to NJ, Miami.

devil21
06-07-2012, 01:38 PM
Last year my city (which is on that list in the article) put out the RFID equipped recycling bins. Over the last few months I stopped using it entirely to see if I'd get a nastygram from the city for not recycling but haven't heard anything. Not sure they're actually using the RFID stuff yet but it's probably only a matter of time.

The real reason behind this stuff is that the city makes money on your recycling. They resell your recycled materials to recyclers that melt it down and sell it back to the manufacturers to reuse. It's just another revenue stream for local jurisdictions and they don't want anyone opting out of their revenue stream.

Kords21
06-07-2012, 01:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqyVmwcuvqQ

Recycling is BS!

John F Kennedy III
06-07-2012, 01:52 PM
Last year my city (which is on that list in the article) put out the RFID equipped recycling bins. Over the last few months I stopped using it entirely to see if I'd get a nastygram from the city for not recycling but haven't heard anything. Not sure they're actually using the RFID stuff yet but it's probably only a matter of time.

The real reason behind this stuff is that the city makes money on your recycling. They resell your recycled materials to recyclers that melt it down and sell it back to the manufacturers to reuse. It's just another revenue stream for local jurisdictions and they don't want anyone opting out of their revenue stream.

You're not allowed to take in your own recycling and sell it?

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
06-07-2012, 02:03 PM
Welcome to NJ, Miami.

Actually, it is more like "Welcome to FL, New Jersey." It's the New Jersey people who move to FL, not the other way around.

specsaregood
06-07-2012, 02:05 PM
//

paulbot24
06-07-2012, 05:03 PM
Sounds like an excuse to pilfer through your trash and find things they can use that qualify for a warrant, if they still use warrants that is....

heavenlyboy34
06-07-2012, 05:15 PM
I foresee an army of linebackers being employed to enforce this edict. viz:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzToNo7A-94

brandon
06-07-2012, 05:16 PM
This is why I'm not an anarchist... I think I'm okay with local ordinances like this. I'm not an expert and maybe you all can convince me otherwise, but at face value this sounds okay to me.

Edit: Obviously market incentives would be a better way to deal with this problem, but in the meantime this kind of thing doesn't bother me too much.

devil21
06-07-2012, 07:23 PM
You're not allowed to take in your own recycling and sell it?

I assume I could but who would bother doing that? The city makes a boatload of money from the sheer volume of recycling done.

The P&T episode is interesting but it needs updating. First, the labor to pick up and sort recycling isn't nearly as manhour intensive as it was. It's mostly automated now too. Second, yes it does cost the city more to do recycling BUT the catch is that they can raise the budget (and associated taxation) to cover the higher cost and still sell the materials for a profit. As if gov't cares how much something costs. They get you to pay for it then keep any profits.

Warrior_of_Freedom
06-07-2012, 08:18 PM
This isn't new. My municipality has had compulsory recycling for the last half decade.

RonPaulMall
06-07-2012, 08:29 PM
My college tried to institute "recycling" on the on campus apartments and they had to rescind it a few months later in the wake of mass noncompliance. Same thing will happen in the beach. Most people here live in apartments or high rises with common dumpsters or trash shoots, so there is no way to enforce this. It will be like Whole Foods. They'll have "regular" trash cans and "recyclable" trash cans and people* will just disregard them and throw all their trash in one or the other.

*I'm actually an exception to the typical customer and go out of my way to always throw food trash in the recyclable bin and recyclable stuff in the food bin. If I'm still living in the Beach in 2013, I'll do the same bit of civil disobedience with my residential trash.

wrestlingwes_8
06-07-2012, 08:58 PM
It is obvious that these kinds of laws are never made for the right reasons. It's not like the government cares and is trying to save the environment or some shit. Government, whether local or federal, is only trying to find ways to raise more revenue and take away more freedom. Cops also love these kinds of laws because it gives them another reason to harass people, give them tickets and get in their faces.

That being said, it is really f*****g sad that our society hasn't self-regulated this issue yet. Everyday, on average, each American generates 4.5 pounds of trash; that's over a billion f******g pounds of trash every damn day. And what do we do with this trash? We pile it in a big f******g pile somewhere, preferably close enough so people don't have to drive their lazy asses too far to dump their shit but far enough away so it's "out of sight, out of mind". Seriously, we are like a bunch of damn toddlers running around f******g up Mother Nature. And it's not like this trash is something that just "vanishes" in a year or two. Nope, most of it is plastics and other synthetic materials that are made with crazy chemicals that just annihilate any form of biological life. Tell me, why would we continually do this to the ONLY planet we can inhabit at this time? Oh yeah, that's right, because companies love their little green pieces of paper and people love to live their little convenient, fast-paced lifestyles. We DO NOT need these products that pollute the environment this badly, we simply don't! I am in the process of removing almost all forms of plastic from my life and trust me, it is NOT THAT DIFFICULT. And hey, if people want plastic so bad why haven't we legalized industrial hemp yet for goodness sake?? Hemp oil makes plastic that his biodegradable and stronger than steel in some instances! This is seriously a NO-BRAINER!

So yeah, I really, really hate laws like this but if society is too stupid to self-regulate an such a simple issue like this, I almost feel like they deserve to have the issue exploited by the government.

/rant

Yeah, I'm actually not apathetic at all; humans just can be so dumb I sometimes lose complete and utter faith in them for brief instances.

P.S. - Has anyone watched the movie "Idiocracy"? Here's a relevant clip from the movie

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xwi4y_the-great-garbage-avalanche-of-2505_fun

Keith and stuff
06-07-2012, 09:03 PM
This isn't new. My municipality has had compulsory recycling for the last half decade.

I agree. It's all over the US and has been for years.

tropicangela
06-07-2012, 09:07 PM
This is my county haha.

Investigation
'Recycled' lies? Lee County's dirty little secret
By Mike Mason
CREATED Nov. 8, 2011

So if you're a conscientious recycler like Cape resident Karen Miller - you might be wondering -- if the county doesn't tell the truth about dumping your glass, what else could they be hiding? Read More http://www.fox4now.com/news/local/133504813.html

John F Kennedy III
06-07-2012, 09:08 PM
I don't see the clip, but I love the movie Idiocracy.

wrestlingwes_8
06-07-2012, 09:25 PM
I don't see the clip, but I love the movie Idiocracy.

It's the Great Garbage Avalanche of 2505, haha

devil21
06-07-2012, 09:31 PM
It is obvious that these kinds of laws are never made for the right reasons. It's not like the government cares and is trying to save the environment or some shit. Government, whether local or federal, is only trying to find ways to raise more revenue and take away more freedom. Cops also love these kinds of laws because it gives them another reason to harass people, give them tickets and get in their faces.

That being said, it is really f*****g sad that our society hasn't self-regulated this issue yet. Everyday, on average, each American generates 4.5 pounds of trash; that's over a billion f******g pounds of trash every damn day. And what do we do with this trash? We pile it in a big f******g pile somewhere, preferably close enough so people don't have to drive their lazy asses too far to dump their shit but far enough away so it's "out of sight, out of mind". Seriously, we are like a bunch of damn toddlers running around f******g up Mother Nature. And it's not like this trash is something that just "vanishes" in a year or two. Nope, most of it is plastics and other synthetic materials that are made with crazy chemicals that just annihilate any form of biological life. Tell me, why would we continually do this to the ONLY planet we can inhabit at this time? Oh yeah, that's right, because companies love their little green pieces of paper and people love to live their little convenient, fast-paced lifestyles. We DO NOT need these products that pollute the environment this badly, we simply don't! I am in the process of removing almost all forms of plastic from my life and trust me, it is NOT THAT DIFFICULT. And hey, if people want plastic so bad why haven't we legalized industrial hemp yet for goodness sake?? Hemp oil makes plastic that his biodegradable and stronger than steel in some instances! This is seriously a NO-BRAINER!

So yeah, I really, really hate laws like this but if society is too stupid to self-regulate an such a simple issue like this, I almost feel like they deserve to have the issue exploited by the government.

/rant

Yeah, I'm actually not apathetic at all; humans just can be so dumb I sometimes lose complete and utter faith in them for brief instances.

P.S. - Has anyone watched the movie "Idiocracy"? Here's a relevant clip from the movie

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xwi4y_the-great-garbage-avalanche-of-2505_fun

Calling bs on that figure. Just sayin.

wrestlingwes_8
06-07-2012, 09:50 PM

It's a real figure, look it up troll. I will not spend time entertaining your ignorance.

devil21
06-08-2012, 12:56 AM
It's a real figure, look it up troll. I will not spend time entertaining your ignorance.

How about you provide your source? Otherwise you're just asking me to "trust you". Go ahead and entertain my ignorance. I don't believe for a second that one person produces 4.5 pounds of trash a day.

John F Kennedy III
06-08-2012, 01:38 AM
How about you provide your source? Otherwise you're just asking me to "trust you". Go ahead and entertain my ignorance. I don't believe for a second that one person produces 4.5 pounds of trash a day.

Dude, that does sound like waaay too much.

Anti Federalist
06-08-2012, 03:05 AM

Dude, that does sound like waaay too much.

All waste produced by all activity and people then dived by number of people, comes to 4.3 pounds per person per day.

That's how that number was produced.

Every household produces personal waste every day that adds up to a staggering amount of garbage each year. In 2009 alone, the Environmental Protection Agency reports, municipal solid waste produced by American households, businesses and hospitals amounted to 243 million tons of trash, or roughly 4.3 lbs. per person per day (see References 1).

http://greenliving.nationalgeographic.com/household-recycling-personal-waste-3234.html

Anti Federalist
06-08-2012, 03:11 AM
Now, that said, this has nothing to do with money, (many recycling programs lose money) or "saving mother earth" (glass and aluminum cans are about the only net efficiency gains in energy used by recycling).

This, like everything else, is about compliance.

It's about making you jump through whatever hoops government puts in front of you, and enforcing it with increasingly heavy handed tactics.

That is what a police state is.

And when you can get charged with a crime by garbage police snooping around in your trash cans, brother, you are in a police state.

oyarde
06-08-2012, 11:54 AM
I probably produce one bag of garbage a week , excluding beer cans , which I recycle . I usually burn it or throw it in the dumpster at work. At 28 lbs a week avg , what are people doing to produce that ??

AGRP
06-08-2012, 12:10 PM
Might as well dump all your trash in public areas then incriminating yourself by throwing something recyclable in your own trash bin.

devil21
06-08-2012, 12:18 PM
I still don't buy that number. For that to be the average, someone else has to be producing about 8 pounds a day to offset my 1 pound a day or so. This is why I don't like "average" figures. It's collectivist and nearly impossible to verify. Besides, the EPA is the originator of the recycling propaganda so I question their official figures on most everything (just like I do with the rest of the "numbers" the federal government provides for anything else).

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
06-08-2012, 01:10 PM
I still don't buy that number. For that to be the average, someone else has to be producing about 8 pounds a day to offset my 1 pound a day or so. This is why I don't like "average" figures. It's collectivist and nearly impossible to verify. Besides, the EPA is the originator of the recycling propaganda so I question their official figures on most everything (just like I do with the rest of the "numbers" the federal government provides for anything else).

There is garbage created producing the goods you consume, transporting them to market, etc. Widen your view. If not you personally, than other people. AF explained it above. The number comes from (all waste / all people).

devil21
06-08-2012, 01:56 PM
There is garbage created producing the goods you consume, transporting them to market, etc. Widen your view. If not you personally, than other people. AF explained it above. The number comes from (all waste / all people).

I understand the premise. I still don't buy the figure plus it's an extremely collectivist way to look at it. Im not responsible for inefficiences that any particular business may have so why use averages? Seems like a way to put other people's failures on my shoulders and call me part of the problem. I waste VERY little. Who here really believes that on a daily basis, they consume enough of anything to generate an average of 4.5 pounds of trash? Really?

paulbot24
06-08-2012, 02:23 PM

I produce over 4.5 pounds of trash a day. Drinking all that Brawndo. "Brawndo's got electrolytes." I had to say it.