PDA

View Full Version : Huckabee: decriminalization of small amounts of marijuana good news for personal freedom

realtonygoodwin
06-07-2012, 07:15 AM
Very interesting tidbit in his Facebook post today:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/mikehuckabee

On Tuesday, the Walt Disney Company joined Michelle Obama’s campaign against childhood obesity. They became the first major media to announce they will no longer run ads for fatty, sugary foods and beverages in children’s entertainment on their TV and radio networks and websites. Disney said they hope the move encourages other media companies to do the same, and inspire ad agencies to make ads for healthy foods more compelling to kids.

I have no quarrel with Disney for doing that, because they’re a private company, and if they want to encourage good eating habits for children, then good for them. It’s very different from New York, where the mayor wants to use the power of government to dictate what adults can eat or drink. But there is some good news for the handful of New Yorkers who still care about personal freedom. Mayor Bloomberg and New York City Police and prosecutors just endorsed a proposal to decriminalize the open possession of small amounts of marijuana. They say it would cut down on the tens of thousands of arrests every year of people who are caught with small amounts of pot during routine stops. So in New York, the government might slap the donut out of your hand, confiscate your salt shaker, snuff out your cigarette and seize your Big Gulp, all for your own good. So, Pepsi and popcorn---bad; Pot, good…Just pray that it doesn’t give you the munchies. The pot might be legal, but the munchies are banned.

I agree with his overall message here, except that I believe the junk food "ban" in New York only applies when it is over a certain amount. So, the city is really treating marijuana and "unhealthy" food very similarly.

donnay
06-07-2012, 07:22 AM
Yet you go to Disneyland or Disneyworld and the place if filled with the worst kinds of foods for kids--go figure?

So when is Michelle Obama going to push to stop Big Pharma's drug advertisements on children's entertainment networks?

Travlyr
06-07-2012, 07:40 AM
Yet you go to Disneyland or Disneyworld and the place if filled with the worst kinds of foods for kids--go figure?

So when is Michelle Obama going to push to stop Big Pharma's drug advertisements on children's entertainment networks?

No Kidding.

Half of the TV commercials are promoting drugs ... prescription drugs no less. Doctor ... Doctor ... give me the news.... can I have those drugs?

trey4sports
06-07-2012, 07:50 AM
he simply didn't read what his ghostwriter wrote.

My guess is we'll be seeing a "revision" rather soon. No way Huck said this on his own...

edit: seems quite sarcastic, maybe he did write it.

ronpaulfollower999
06-07-2012, 07:50 AM
Seems a bit sarcastic.

Occam's Banana
06-07-2012, 08:16 AM
Meh. Get back to me when the Huckster sez that decriminalization of Hefty lawn bags stuffed to bursting with pot is good news for personal freedom. Then I'll be impressed.

realtonygoodwin
06-07-2012, 08:17 AM
Baby steps people...

trey4sports
06-07-2012, 08:19 AM
Baby steps people...

i don't think he was applauding the decrim. of pot, i think it was more sarcasm than anything.

Travlyr
06-07-2012, 08:21 AM
Baby steps people...

Baby steps are for babies.

jj-
06-07-2012, 08:35 AM
They talk a good talk when they are out of office.

John F Kennedy III
06-07-2012, 09:24 AM

Exactly. Someone pass me a lawn bag.

AGRP
06-07-2012, 10:46 AM
Someone needs to criminalize Twinkies.

http://www.*****ty.com/wp/docs/2007/12/huckfamily.jpeg

Todd
06-07-2012, 11:08 AM

Hegelian Dialectics has worked pretty good for the Social engineers progress.

Warrior_of_Freedom
06-07-2012, 11:59 AM
No Kidding.

Half of the TV commercials are promoting drugs ... prescription drugs no less. Doctor ... Doctor ... give me the news.... can I have those drugs?
ALL American commercials are DRUGS, CARS, TAMPONS, BIRTH CONTROL PILLS, ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION PILLS, FIBER ENHANCED FOOD

realtonygoodwin
06-08-2012, 07:25 AM
Also, food, cars movies, TV shows... what is your point?

Travlyr
06-08-2012, 07:43 AM
Also, food, cars movies, TV shows... what is your point?

My point is that drugs should have a purpose. If someone has a specific problem going on with their health then a doctor should be able to diagnose the problem and prescribe a remedy. If it is a drug, then it is a drug. People should not be going to their doctors and saying that I saw a drug advertised on TV that I want. Seriously, what the hell is the point of advertising prescription drugs on TV?

realtonygoodwin
06-08-2012, 07:53 AM
So that you know what your options are? When there are various drugs that can help with the same problem, don't you want a choice? Or do you just want whatever your doctor recommends? His info could be outdated, he could be getting kickbacks from pharmaceutical reps, who knows?

Travlyr
06-08-2012, 08:04 AM
So that you know what your options are? When there are various drugs that can help with the same problem, don't you want a choice? Or do you just want whatever your doctor recommends? His info could be outdated, he could be getting kickbacks from pharmaceutical reps, who knows?

That's fine. If you know what your options are, then why do you need permission from a doctor?

donnay
06-08-2012, 08:05 AM
My point is that drugs should have a purpose. If someone has a specific problem going on with their health then a doctor should be able to diagnose the problem and prescribe a remedy. If it is a drug, then it is a drug. People should not be going to their doctors and saying that I saw a drug advertised on TV that I want. Seriously, what the hell is the point of advertising prescription drugs on TV?

Mind control. The television is the best form of mind control there is. Madison Ave and Big Pharma teamed up to grab peoples minds and get them addicted.

Doctors, anymore, are glorified drug pushers. Doctors don't prescribe remedies, they treat them so they know the patient will be back through the revolving medical doors.

This is not to say ALL doctors do this, but a good majority do. There is enough incentive for doctors to do this, that is why it happens more readily in our society. :(

realtonygoodwin
06-08-2012, 08:19 AM
That's fine. If you know what your options are, then why do you need permission from a doctor?

Well, that is a whole other issue. Making all drugs available OTC would be fine by me.
I would still go to a doctor, with their education, training, and experience they are more qualified to make a diagnosis than I am.

Travlyr
06-08-2012, 08:23 AM
Well, that is a whole other issue. Making all drugs available OTC would be fine by me.
I would still go to a doctor, with their education, training, and experience they are more qualified to make a diagnosis than I am.

Right. But you will go more often if you can get your doctor to prescribe the drug you want. It's a neat trick ... and medicare pays for the drugs. ;)

donnay
06-08-2012, 08:29 AM

Really? The next time you go to your doctor ask him/her how many years they studied about nutrition, minerals and vitamins? Then ask him/her how many times a month does the pharmaceutical representative visit his/her office pushing the latest and greatest meds?

This is really a puff piece but it does have merit in the overall picture--the fines to the pharmaceutical companies are just a drop in their Trillion Dollar buckets.

Crackdown on Doctors Who Take Kickbacks
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/04/health/policy/04doctors.html?_r=1

realtonygoodwin
06-09-2012, 04:37 PM
They've studied it more than I have.

Warrior_of_Freedom
06-09-2012, 09:27 PM

Last time I checked, Disneyland/world wasn't in NYC.