PDA

View Full Version : My friend was Detained by DHS for 2 hours and banned from USA entry

Mani
06-06-2012, 09:37 PM
OMG shit just got real. :eek:

I didn't want to talk about it, but I have to, I can't keep it in, I have to let this out so I can not fester about it.

Here's the background:

My friend is born and raised in Toronto, Canada. We've been good friends for 10-15 years. He's ambitious, driven, great salesperson, entrepreneurial. He's great in sales not because he's slick, but because he's kind, honest, wants to build a relationship with you and you want to do business with him. He's moderately success, has a nice home, nice family, nice car in a nice neighborhood. He's an upstanding guy, doesn't drink or smoke, doesn't even swear. He's about as clean as it gets. No arrests, nothing.

He has family in USA and he's been going to USA so many times for so many years. Normally 2-5 times a year at least as long as I've know him. He attends a lot of business trade shows and conferences and such.

About 2 years ago he started a new line of business and I coincidentally started something on my own and left for Asia 2 years ago as well. So while focused on his new business and without a close friend to visit South Florida there was a lot less incentive to come to the USA.

In the meantime over the last year or so he somehow got hooked on Alex Jones and started reading and following a lot of that stuff (many of the topics we discuss in the general politics forum). Since he's an independent salesperson and his reputation is a part of his business, he doesn't talk about these topics in public. He's not a conspiracy theorist running around in a mall with a tinfoil hat or hiding in a basement. He has a few close friends he will talk to about it and we may trade email stories but he does surf about it a lot.

That's the only new thing in his life over the past year.

Earlier this week he decided to attend a trade show in Chicago. In the Toronto airport he passed through the US customs section and oddly was pulled aside. He was alone.

He gets placed in a room with about 20-25 people. All different ages and ethnic backgrounds. People dressed normal, for holiday, for business, all different.

He's listening to some of the conversations. Apparently there was a pleasant Dept of Homeland security person, and rude intimidating one.

There was a lady getting completely berated because she had an apple in her purse. He said the conversation was something like (obviously I wasn't there so this isn't a word for word conversation):

Lady: "But I don't understand what this is about?"
DHS: "THIS IS ABOUT WHAT'S IN YOUR PURSE!"
Lady: "I don't have ANYTHING in my purse."
DHS: "OH REALLY! WHAT'S THIS!?!?!??!!" (pulls out an apple)
Lady: "...I wanted a snack for the plane"
DHS: "LOOK AT THIS CUSTOMS FORM! YOU SIGNED IT and DECLARED YOU HAVE NO AGRICULTURAL PRODUCTS ON YOU! YOU ARE GONNA BE REAL SORRY WITH A $300 FOR TRYING TO BRING THIS ON BOARD! THIS IS A PENALTY!!!"
Lady "I'm sorry, sir...I didn't reali..."
DHS: "NOW YOUR SORRY! YOU SHOULD HAVE THOUGHT OF THAT BEFORE YOU BROUGHT THIS WITH YOU! YOU SIGNED THE FORM!!!!"

Then it was my friends turn lucky with the pleasant agent.

He was asked the purpose of his visit. He responded he's attending a trade show in Chicago for business purposes.
The agent said, "sorry that's not gonna happen. You've been denied entry."
My friend asked, "Why? What's the reason."
The agent said, "I'm sorry I can't give out that information."
my friend calmly said, "OK, Thank you, I guess I'll be going."
The Agent said, "No. You're in United states territory now. You're not leaving without a retina scan and finger prints."

My friend gets scanned and finger printed and sees documents being placed in a file regarding him with the "Department of Homeland Security" labeled on the front of the folder.

While waiting he sees the intimidating agent now berate some NEW mundanes:

In front of him are a family of 3, an older indian couple with thick accents and their daughter.

DHS: SO, it shows you go to USA 2-4 times a year and India twice a year! WHY ARE YOU TRAVELING SO MUCH!?!??!
Indian Lady: Our children now have families in USA, in fact that's where we are taking our youngest now.
DHS: BUT HOW DO YOU HAVE THE TIME? AND WHY INDIA SO OFTEN!?!?
Indian Lady: We still have relatives back home, we are retired. We go back to India to see family.
DHS: WHERE DO YOU GET ALL THIS MONEY!!??!!? HOW CAN YOU FLY SO MUCH!?!?!? I CAN'T FLY SO OFTEN, I CAN'T AFFORD IT! HOW ARE YOU AFFORDING IT!!! WHERE IS THE MONEY COMING FROM!?!?!!

He also witnessed a 70-80 year old lady alone by herself, apparently she had something in a long long ago passed that popped up while looking into her criminal record. He didn't give me the details of that one.

My friend meanwhile was told to go to a room. He got freaked out in an isolated room at that point...No cell phones, no communication with the outside, at this point the burning anger was gone and now he was beginning to panic. He washed his hands and was then let away outside.

He had to wait for a friend/family member to pick him up (because obviously he couldn't call anyone to say, "hey pick me up") so after 1.5-2hrs with DHS he was then finally able to use his cell phone, then had to wait 30min-1hr for someone to get free to pick him up from the airport.

While waiting he saw one of the guys in a suit finally leave DHS and the guy was steaming. My friend asked and the business man in a suit was denied as well and missed a meeting...He was fuming.

My friend is just in shock how regular people are being treated like criminals. Just being berated and intimidated for doing absolutely nothing. Of course he's in shock watching a room full of normal people (himself included) being denied access into the US and being forced to do retina scans and finger prints.

He thinks his surfing and being on the "wrong" websites is the culprit. All that talk about traffic being monitored etc.

It's all too real now. It's not just stories on the internet.

I remember my trips to Canada as a kid, my dad would drive us to Niagra Falls, we never needed passports or anything.

I used to always forget when I would be in Canada it was a different country and always surprised, "oh yeah customs" when we'd cross back over to USA. But it was just so seemless.

In fact I remember I was at a conference back in 2000 in Toronto and on the way to the airport I misplaced my passport. I didn't realize it until immigration. The agent asked me a few questions and they were silly stuff and we both laughed and he said, "Next time don't forget your passport and I won't have to ask you these stupid questions!" We both laughed again and I walked through onto the plane.

Now I'm USA born and raised in the Midwest. I have a midwest American accent, and we joke calling ourselves coconuts. (Brown on the outside, but white inside). I'm brown and have a beard. I can't even imagine that scenario 12 years later about me misplacing my passport, who knows where I would be held and for how long.

Those days are over. It's gone. I want to shed a tear after this whole scenario occurred. It hit me in the gut. Those days hopping in a car and going to Canada seem like a dream. That innocent age of a FREE America is really gone. It's really gone.

It's not just stories on the internet. It's not just some conspiracy theorists overblowing things out of proportion.

It's real and it's so sad.

Anti Federalist
06-06-2012, 09:44 PM
It's very real.

Always has been.

It's called a police state for a reason.

Your friend got lucky, that could have gone sideways in a second.

Danke
06-06-2012, 09:50 PM
I travel all the time, never had this problem.

Anti Federalist
06-06-2012, 09:54 PM

Pfffftttt...Yeah, we all know why too.

Pleasuring your girlfriend has its benefits.

http://themorningafter.us/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/napolitano-ataxic.jpg

Mani
06-06-2012, 09:56 PM

Neither has my friend ever. He traveled in and out of the US often. Maybe more then 2-5 times a year. Every couple months it seemed like he was at a tradeshow or conference somewhere in the US. ('cept these last 2 years there was a gap)

Vessol
06-06-2012, 09:58 PM
Pfffftttt...Yeah, we all know why too.

Pleasuring your girlfriend has its benefits.

http://themorningafter.us/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/napolitano-ataxic.jpg

Just shot beer out of my nose, it was painful..

Lady: "But I don't understand what this is about?"
DHS: "THIS IS ABOUT WHAT'S IN YOUR PURSE!"
Lady: "I don't have ANYTHING in my purse."
DHS: "OH REALLY! WHAT'S THIS!?!?!??!!" (pulls out an apple)
Lady: "...I wanted a snack for the plane"
DHS: "LOOK AT THIS CUSTOMS FORM! YOU SIGNED IT and DECLARED YOU HAVE NO AGRICULTURAL PRODUCTS ON YOU! YOU ARE GONNA BE REAL SORRY WITH A $300 FOR TRYING TO BRING THIS ON BOARD! THIS IS A PENALTY!!!"
Lady "I'm sorry, sir...I didn't reali..."
DHS: "NOW YOUR SORRY! YOU SHOULD HAVE THOUGHT OF THAT BEFORE YOU BROUGHT THIS WITH YOU! YOU SIGNED THE FORM!!!!"

Ah, how I love bureaucratic police states. Drown your subjects with mountains of paperwork.

John F Kennedy III
06-06-2012, 11:23 PM
Welcome to Amerika.

KCIndy
06-06-2012, 11:37 PM

Next time stuff a couple apples down your pants.

not joking....

:(

oyarde
06-06-2012, 11:38 PM
Honestly , all I have to say is this , fuck that shit ..

TheTexan
06-06-2012, 11:45 PM
Travel all the time for years->No problems
Start reading Alex Jones->Detained by DHS

When we say your participation on these forums will land you on a list, we're only half joking (if that)

KCIndy
06-07-2012, 12:27 AM
Travel all the time for years->No problems
Start reading Alex Jones->Detained by DHS

When we say your participation on these forums will land you on a list, we're only half joking (if that)

I've said it pleny of times before, and I'm NOT joking at all. I've been waiting for my participation in RPF and my exercise of free speech to come back and bite me in the ass every time I have to deal with DHS.

:(

emazur
06-07-2012, 02:33 AM
Fellow Americans, see how well you are treated if you have to go to the American embassy in a foreign country for losing your passport (hint: they'll try to shake you up so the "real reason" you lost passport slips out by treating you as if you sold your passport to a terrorist).

idiom
06-07-2012, 03:10 AM
I travel all of the world. Only place that *really* gives me the creeps is the states.

Tankbot85
06-07-2012, 05:36 AM
I would have refused the retina scan and fingerprinting.

Dont see how they have the right to do that legally if he is not a citizen of the US.

moostraks
06-07-2012, 06:27 AM

Dont see how they have the right to do that legally if he is not a citizen of the US.

I believe I would have to. I know he probably wanted it over and done with but there is no way I think I could have handed that to them on a silver platter after being berated. I would have been so mad I would have forced the issue I believe....

ghengis86
06-07-2012, 06:36 AM

That would have been interesting. Probably would still be waiting in an isolation cell. Guests in a foreign country have about as many 'rights' and 'protections' as a stray dog.

Liberty74
06-07-2012, 08:08 AM
I flew out of BWI a few years ago. I couldn't find parking which made me very late for my flight. So I am standing in line of about a 100 people waiting for everyone to take off their stupid shoes. I am getting nervous because my flight takes off in 20 minutes. I go through the metal detector that did not go off yet I was told to step aside. I was wanded with an instrument in a glass panel off to the side and nothing. I told the guy that I was in a rush because I was about to miss my flight. He said, "I have been watching you since you got in line looking all nervous." I replied again telling him my flight is about to leave the gate but he didn't want to hear it. I had 10 minutes to get there. He then made me flip the inside of my top layer of my shorts out and wanded me again. I was then let go, put my shoes on, and ran. I was the second to the last person on the plane.

I felt a little violated.

paulbot24
06-07-2012, 09:13 AM
He said, "I have been watching you since you got in line looking all nervous."

As he stands there in his Fascist outfit and ridiculously shiny badge. I thought intimidation was partially intended....or did I miss something?

slamhead
06-07-2012, 09:31 AM
Your friend should file a freedom of information act with the DHS to see what is in his file.

paulbot24
06-07-2012, 10:01 AM
Your friend should file a freedom of information act with the DHS to see what is in his file.

If he had a page in his file, after requesting to see, he's likely to see several pages.

KCIndy
06-07-2012, 12:25 PM

Rights? What rights?

One would think that the government would have no "right" to indefinitely detain American citizens without charges, either. But it is happening all the time.

If this guy would have pressed the issue, I imagine he would have been pitched unceremoniously into a holding cell somewhere and would probably still be there right now. Anyone remember that guy in San Diego that got locked up by DHS for three days without any water because they had "forgotten" he was in a holding cell?

You really think we have rights anymore?

Mani
06-07-2012, 08:02 PM
Rights? What rights?

One would think that the government would have no "right" to indefinitely detain American citizens without charges, either. But it is happening all the time.

If this guy would have pressed the issue, I imagine he would have been pitched unceremoniously into a holding cell somewhere and would probably still be there right now. Anyone remember that guy in San Diego that got locked up by DHS for three days without any water because they had "forgotten" he was in a holding cell?

You really think we have rights anymore?

That's the issue. Fight for your right to not be violated and risk something much much worse. He has a family and a business that is completely dependent on him. He really wasnt interested in ending up in guitmo. He's a brown guy also. He was already pretty freaked out when they put him in an isolated room for a bit. At that point he had no idea if he was gonna be shipped of somewhere or what the hell was happening.

I'm sure everyone read about the Michigan lady who I think was Israeli and coincidentally was seated next to 2 Indian guys one of which took too many trips to the bathroom so, the 3 of them were deplaned and strip searched and were improsened and questioned for hours until they were let go.

Doesn't sound like fun. The point is, it really doesn't take much to end up in a holding cell stripsearched unless you do what your told.

As AF mentioned, it could have gone bad really easy. I thought my friend remaining calm the whole time was the right way to go. IMO. And he pretty much has no desire to go back anytime soon. He's ready to explore other markets now. Just what we need a business man ready to put his money somewhere else.

daviddee
06-07-2012, 11:49 PM

daviddee
06-07-2012, 11:55 PM

Mani
06-08-2012, 06:14 AM
I don't know the goons he was witnessing, this was in Toronto, not in the US. It is not made up. He had a boatload of prospects he missed this week. He's thankful he decided to do the show last minute and not spend $5000-10,000 on the booth at the show. That stuff is non refundable. It had an impact on his business and shaken him up, there's no BS here.

My bullshit alerts are going off on this one.

ICE agents are not TSA. The entire dialog listed above sounds like a barely educated TSA goon at the screening window.

Every ICE agent I have every dealt with (the ones that have guns, badges, and actually are law enforcement) do not act like ghetto trash.

No matter if it is MCO, MIA, JFK, YYZ, etc. they don't do secondary screenings in front of the other passengers. If you are pulled into a side room, you may sit on chairs with other people, but when it comes to the inspections/interrogations you are not in a group free-for-all.

fearthereaperx
06-08-2012, 06:38 AM
I don't know the goons he was witnessing, this was in Toronto, not in the US. It is not made up. He had a boatload of prospects he missed this week. He's thankful he decided to do the show last minute and not spend $5000-10,000 on the booth at the show. That stuff is non refundable. It had an impact on his business and shaken him up, there's no BS here.

The Alex Jones parallel is BS, not your friend's account of events.

truelies
06-08-2012, 07:15 AM

and you never will until you DO, which could happen at any time

Mani
06-08-2012, 11:16 AM
The Alex Jones parallel is BS, not your friend's account of events.

Of course there's no way to know that for sure. Today my friend was hearing it is THe discretion of the agent and if he feels like denying you, that's it. So if the guy had a shitty breakfast and is in a pissy mood and he feels like ruining ur day....ur fucked. I have nothing to back that up, that's hearsay.

Pericles
06-08-2012, 04:12 PM
The US Govt is a jedi master at annoying people who would normally like us.