PDA

View Full Version : CO - Cop, doing 143mph in 55mph zone, drunk, keeps his job and license.

Anti Federalist
06-06-2012, 01:52 PM
Rules for thee, but not for me.

Speeding Praetorians

http://ericpetersautos.com/2012/06/05/speeding-praetorians/

If “speeding” – defined as driving faster than the legally posted maximum velocity – is necessarily “unsafe,” why do cops do so routinely?

The answer, of course, is: Because they can.

More precisely, they can do so with impunity. Who watches the watchmen, after all?

Here is a recent – and particularly egregious – example:

Denver cop Derrick Saunders was caught doing 143 MPH in a 55 – while legally drunk (.089 BAC). The repercussions? A 42 day suspension. At first, he was at least fired. But Saunders, who like a lot of cops apparently does not believe that “speed kills” when he is the one speeding - appealed his firing. And the police union backed him up. To repeat: a drunk cop doing 143 MPH in a 55 is demanding his job back. And the police union is helping him get his job back. The full story is here.

Meanwhile, let’s consider what would have happened to a non-anointed Mere Ordinary in my own state of Virginia:

Va. defines “reckless driving” as exceeding the posted maximum speed by more than 20 MPH – or any speed over 80 MPH, anywhere. Note carefully that one’s driving is considered legally reckless merely as a function of speed. It is not a viable legal defense to argue that you were sober – and in full control of your car and posed no danger to anyone.

Merely to be caught driving 80 MPH of faster ( that’s all of 10 MPH over the highway limit of 70 MPH) or faster than 20 MPH over any posted limit (so, for instance, 56 MPH in a posted 35 zone) constitutes “reckless” driving – ipso facto – which in Va. is a Class 1 misdemeanor criminal offense, not merely an infraction – like a standard speeding ticket. If convicted, you will have a permanent criminal record that will be indexed in the NCIC database (where murderers, rapists and others are cataloged), spend up to a year in jail, pay a $2,500 fine, and face the strong likelihood that your driving privileges will be suspended for six months – and the absolute certainty that you will pay extortionate insurance premiums for at least the next five years.

Mind: This is for doing 80 MPH on a highway posted 70 – or 56 in a 35 – situations where (as we all know) the average speed of traffic is typically already close to 80 (in the first case) and not far below 56 in the second. it is all-too-easy to get slammed with a “reckless driving” cite.

But can you imagine the rain of shit that would descend upon a non-annointed caught doing 88 MPH over the limit? While drunk? Well, I can – because a local kid on a motorcycle was caught doing pretty much the same thing as Officer Saunders – at least, speed-wise. The kid was caught doing a mere 126 MPH. He was not drunk. But he wasn’t anointed. The court (in Botetourt County) sentenced this kid to six months in the Graybar Hotel. If he’d been even slightly drunk, a 3-5 year prison sentence would not be out of the question.

They have a similar statute (CRS 42-4-1401) and similarly severe consequences in Colorado – home state of Officer Saunders. Just not for Officer Sanders:

“A person who drives a motor vehicle, bicycle or electrical assisted bicycle, or low-power scooter in such a manner as to indicate either a wanton or a willful disregard for the disregard for the safety of persons or property is guilty of reckless driving.” The punishment is up to 90 days in jail, a $300 fine and “additional costs and surcharges.”

Do you suppose 143 in a 55 qualifies?

Add drunk driving to this and – per Colorado law – it’s up to a year in jail, up to $1,000 in fines, 48-96 hours of community service and “alcohol education” for three to nine months.

If, that is, you’re not a member of Team Blue.

If you are – like Officer Saunders -a different set of rules applies. You only get “suspended” for a month or so. Then you get to be a cop again. And get to give tickets to Mere Mundanes again.

And the Officer Saunders Incident is not an isolated aberration. In Florida, recently, the Sun Sentinel newspaper exposed the fact of “oral reprimands” given to 31 state troopers for driving at “excessive speeds.” How excessive? In excess of 90 MPH. There were 5,100 incidents of excessive speed documented by the paper, including at least one incident involving speeds over 130 MPH. Mind, these were not “emergency calls.”
In addition to being “orally reprimanded,” the offending officers also sometimes lost the privilege of their take-home squad cars. None lost their jobs – much less their driving “privileges.” Not a ticket was issued. Not a single “point” assigned. No insurance consequences. In fact, no real consequences at all.

But of course, we all know the story. Is there anyone out there who hasn’t witnessed police “speeding”? Who has not personally seen a cop do – with impunity – that which he’d ticket you or me for doing? Followed up with a lecture about the “dangers” of so doing?

It does not require further elaboration. The double standard is jarringly obvious. Cops are allowed to get away with speeding – and not “buckling up for safety”and carrying their guns wherever, whenever. Because they are cops. Our modern-era praetorians.

Just don’t dare give them the appropriate Roman salute – or you’ll find yourself even farther over on the wrong side of that double standard.

Danke
06-06-2012, 01:54 PM
I should have been a cop. Sounds like fun.

Anti Federalist
06-06-2012, 01:59 PM
I should have been a cop. Sounds like fun.

I thought you were.

Vessol
06-06-2012, 02:04 PM
He should've ran over a dog while he was at it, then he might get some paid vacation during his suspension.

Danke
06-06-2012, 02:12 PM
I thought you were.

Not that kind.

Anti Federalist
06-06-2012, 02:22 PM
Not that kind.

There's a difference?

brushfire
06-06-2012, 02:54 PM
Seems like a strong argument for ousting the union. They should lock those fk'rs out. Replace them with the unemployed underlings.

Romulus
06-06-2012, 03:31 PM
I happen to know a cop.... he was a good Christian... nice guy, family man, pastor and musician at his church. He became a cop.... and the ol saying that power corrupts is once again true.

Anti Federalist
06-06-2012, 03:34 PM
I happen to know a cop.... he was a good Christian... nice guy, family man, pastor and musician at his church. He became a cop.... and the ol saying that power corrupts is once again true.

Oh?

Expand on that, please, if you are able.

Romulus
06-06-2012, 03:40 PM
nothing outrageous... I've head that most all cops, even the ones who go in good are corrupted by the force..

Anti Federalist
06-06-2012, 03:47 PM
nothing outrageous... I've head that most all cops, even the ones who go in good are corrupted by the force..

I see.

I thought maybe you had seen something personally and "up close" that might have been insightful.

ProIndividual
06-06-2012, 04:46 PM
Cops rule...and by "rule" I mean "oppress and aren't held accountable".

I know most cops are okay people, but how can you in good conscience uphold unConstitutional (and therefore unlawful) laws (like the drug war)?

You may be a good person off the job, but on the job you're a tyrant (or lap dog for tyranny) if you enforce those laws. God bless you if your risk your employment and union retirement by not enforcing those laws. Your Civil Disobedience, in that case, is commendable and patriotic.

paulbot24
06-06-2012, 05:47 PM
I've only ever known one cop personally. So I certainly can't make a blanket statement about all of them just because he was a pill-popping, abusive, alcoholic, and breathtakingly dumb individual. I'm sure they really raise the bar if you stay a while.

Anti Federalist
06-06-2012, 06:17 PM
I've only known ever personally known one cop. So I certainly can't make a blanket statement about all of them just because he was a pill-popping, abusive, alcoholic, and breathtakingly dumb individual. I'm sure they really raise the bar if you stay a while.

It never has been about cops as individuals, for me.

Call it whatever you want, some form of collectivism, but the fact remains, if you serve a system that has gone corrupt and bad, no matter how good of person you are, no matter how good your intentions, you are still serving evil.

heavenlyboy34
06-06-2012, 06:25 PM

Call it whatever you want, some form of collectivism, but the fact remains, if you serve a system that has gone corrupt and bad, no matter how good of person you are, no matter how good your intentions, you are still serving evil.
Si. And like I pointed out in that other thread in which LE called us collectivists, cops make themselves a collective (The Brotherhood). It's really hard to discuss individuals when they're all hiding on the other side of the Thin Blue Line.

paulbot24
06-06-2012, 06:25 PM

The Gestapo comes to mind.

Anti Federalist
06-06-2012, 06:43 PM
The Gestapo comes to mind.

According to Canadian historian Robert Gellately's analysis of the local offices established, the Gestapo was—for the most part—made up of bureaucrats and clerical workers who depended upon denunciations by citizens for their information. Gellately argued that it was because of the widespread willingness of Germans to inform on each other to the Gestapo that Germany between 1933 and 1945 was a prime example of Panopticism. Indeed, the Gestapo—at times—was overwhelmed with denunciations and most of its time was spent sorting out the credible from the less credible denunciations. Many of the local offices were understaffed and overworked, struggling with the paper load caused by so many denunciations. Gellately has also suggested that the Gestapo was "a reactive organization" "...which was constructed within German society and whose functioning was structurally dependent on the continuing co-operation of German citizens".

Vessol
06-06-2012, 06:46 PM

You know AF. There's a reason why you've broken the reputation meter on this forum.

paulbot24
06-06-2012, 06:58 PM
No kidding. Shuffling papers, heading back to school.....:D

Noble Savage
06-06-2012, 07:14 PM
I was drinking in a bar one night with a disgruntled cop(the best kind). He got pulled over and didn't say anything about being a cop and the guy that pulled him over was a dick until he finally told him.

As a hitchhiker I use to get hassled all the time.

Carson
06-06-2012, 07:59 PM
Could have just been part of his training.

qh4dotcom
06-06-2012, 09:23 PM
.089 BAC is no big deal...that's just .009 over the limit...he would have been driving legally a few years ago when it was .10

and yes, he should have the same penalty as a civilian for his speeding.

I'm just curious to know how he got caught...another cop pulled him over? I thought cops don't pull each other over.

Anti Federalist
06-06-2012, 09:57 PM
.089 BAC is no big deal...that's just .009 over the limit...he would have been driving legally a few years ago when it was .10

and yes, he should have the same penalty as a civilian for his speeding.

I'm just curious to know how he got caught...another cop pulled him over? I thought cops don't pull each other over.

Civilian?

We're only "civilians" unless the cops are a standing army.

(Yes, I realize it's a circular question.)

XTreat
06-06-2012, 10:21 PM
\\

youngbuck
06-08-2012, 04:19 AM
Well, this really pisses me off, and sits close to home, literally. At the very least, he should be barred from any gov't job even closely related to law enforement. If justice were done, he'd be charged with a larger and more serious slew of crimes than any of us ever would be under the same circumstances. Pigs like this exemplify why the supposed watchmen need extremely close watching.

QuickZ06
06-08-2012, 04:41 AM
Give this guy a raise and a new Mustang GT500, 143mph....weak sauce. And yes, cops do rule, I like that.