PDA

View Full Version : OK-Dogs start fighting in closed in back yard. Cop shows up and shoots three dead.

Anti Federalist
06-06-2012, 01:09 PM
The first comment on the story is from an eyewitness, who claims that the dogcatcher was already inside the yard, and that the cop "ordered" everybody out of the way and shot all three.

That comment is posted in the next post.

Fighting Dogs Shot Dead In Durant Yard

http://www.kten.com/story/18710859/fighting-dogs-shot-dead-in-durant-yard

DURANT, OK -- A dog owner says she is outraged after a policeman shot and killed her dogs right in her own yard. Police say the dogs were vicious and they had bitten her daughter.

A police officer shot the dogs, killing three of them, as they fought in a West Mississippi Street yard on Sunday afternoon. The officer found the owner's daughter trying to break up the fight with a stick. She was bitten on the leg and hand.

The officer first tried pepper spray, but when the dogs kept fighting, he shot them, police said. "We heard, 'Pow! Pow! Pow! Pow!' and the officer was in the back and shot her four dogs!" says Sharyn Carbone.

The dog owner says her friend's pit bull was visiting her house and all the dogs suddenly got into a fight.

"By the time I got here, they were all out in the road and the dogcatcher was here, and he had my dogs in a black trash bag on the back of his tailgate," says dog owner Kathy Sheffield.

Sheffield says that she is upset the officer went into the back of her yard to shoot the dogs and that he did not wait for the dogcatcher to arrive. "The officer had no business up in my yard because it's private property, that's why I have a chain link fence around my yard," Sheffield says.

"It was in a fenced, enclosed area, but they should have been separated," says police detective Brian Chavez. "By city ordinance, you are not allowed to have vicious dogs."

Sheffield she is particularly upset by the death of her English bulldog which she picked out with her husband in 2005 before he was murdered later that same year.

"I've had this dog all this time, she's like one of my kids, and it's hard because that was the connection I had with him and now it's gone," Sheffield says.

Chavez says the officer had to exercise his best judgment when the dogs would not stop fighting. "They're vicious animals and he tried to deal with the situation the best that he could," Chavez says.

Police say the dogs kept fighting even after the bullets went in. Sheffield requested to keep her dogs -- the other of which was a half-pit-bull, half-bulldog -- in order to bury them in her yard.

Anti Federalist
06-06-2012, 01:10 PM
nyvatxlady

1 hour ago+1
Share | Flag

To clarify a couple of things:

1) The owner's almost 18 year old daughter was not bitten, just scratched from falling.

2) The dogs were not vicious, they were protecting their property from an intruder.

3) The visiting dog's owner should have been supervising her pet and the property owner had advised her of this.

4) They were English Bulldogs and one was part pit not that it should make a difference.

5) She has owned these pets since 2005 and there has not ever been a single complaint or incident of violence reported.

6) The dog catcher was inside gate on the property when the officer ordered the daughter out of the way and shot the pets. The officer should have let the dog catcher do his job.

I have lived in this neighborhood for five years and knew these animals well. They were not vicious. There were like her children. And, I did witness the entire incident.

aGameOfThrones
06-06-2012, 02:26 PM
My dogs started to fight over food and I got bitten pretty bad when I went to separate them. At least there were no cops in my story.

angelatc
06-06-2012, 02:37 PM
My dogs started to fight over food and I got bitten pretty ban when I went to separate them. At least there were no cops in my story.

I've never been bit, but anybody who has ever spent any time at all around dogs know they get into some serious dog-on-dog fights every once in a while. It hardly means they're viscous.

Did someone call the dogcatcher? If so, let this be a lesson.. reminder..never call the government to help you.

Anti Federalist
06-06-2012, 02:48 PM
Call paramedics? Get a cop.

Call the fire department? Get a cop.

Call the dogcatcher? Get a cop.

I've never been bit, but anybody who has ever spent any time at all around dogs know they get into some serious dog-on-dog fights every once in a while. It hardly means they're viscous.

Did someone call the dogcatcher? If so, let this be a lesson.. reminder..never call the government to help you.

moostraks
06-06-2012, 02:51 PM

that does seem to be the pattern now...

angelatc
06-06-2012, 02:56 PM
Call paramedics? Get a cop..

Heh. I thought of you when my husband had his stroke. I had to call the paramedics, because he was upstairs and I could not get him down the stairs without help. My closest neighbors are a 90 year old woman, and two cops.

<shrugs>

But the cops didn't show up at my house that day......because there was a 9/11 memorial celebration in the local town, and they were all there, with their toys on display as part of the celebration.

Danke
06-06-2012, 03:12 PM

Call a sailor, get this guy:

http://crujonessociety.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/gay-sailor.jpg

presence
06-06-2012, 03:15 PM