PDA

View Full Version : FL-Arrested for "contempt of cop".

Anti Federalist
06-06-2012, 12:07 PM
Lakeland man arrested for spitting on sidewalk

http://www2.tbo.com/news/breaking-news/2012/jun/02/1/lakeland-man-arrested-for-spitting-on-sidewalk-ar-411097/

LAKELAND

A Lakeland man was arrested early Wednesday morning with spitting on the sidewalk after he said he got into a heated argument with a pair of police officers.

Joseph Stoiber was charged with spitting on a public sidewalk and released on $250 bond.

Stoiber, 28, said he was walking in his neighborhood near Florida Southern College around 2:30 a.m. when he was approached by officers at the corner of South Ingraham Avenue and Lexington Street.

"I'm an insomniac and honestly I like staying up later," Stoiber said.

Lakeland assistant police chief Larry Giddons said, a recent rash of burglaries have prompted police to step up patrols in the area.

According to Giddons, police said Stoiber appeared to be loitering and under the influence of drugs or alcohol, and didn't provide a reasonable explanation when asked what he was doing in the area. He then refused a legal request to be patted down – which, by law, is within his rights.

"He said, 'Can I pat you down,' and at that point I said, 'No, you cannot," said Stoiber, adding he does not use drugs or alcohol.

Stoiber said an argument ensued, and an officer handcuffed him.

Stoiber, who was chewing snuff, leaned over to spit on the sidewalk, and was taken into custody.

"I bent over slightly into the grass area and spit slightly without any audible noise," Stoiber said. "The police officer then looked at me and he asked me 'Did you spit on the curb?' And I responded, 'Yes I did.' "

Giddons said police officials plan to speak with the officer involved. Stoiber says he has hired an attorney to investigate possible legal action.

Vessol
06-06-2012, 12:18 PM
Oh geez, if contempt for cops is a crime now, I'll be getting hundreds of charges for that..

donnay
06-06-2012, 12:21 PM
Bad college student using chewing tobacco--that must have been the reason he had insomnia. We must ban chewing tobacco now!! :rolleyes:

The insanity just piles high! It's a steaming pile of feces handed to us daily. *SIGH*

ZENemy
06-06-2012, 12:27 PM
When I was 15 I was smoking a cigg when a police officer walked up to me:

Cop: How old are you
Me: 15
Cop: you are to young to smoke, put it out
Me: ok, will do (I know this was a REAL law and I was under age so I followed it) what I did was put the cigg out in the ashtray, I smashed the cig and made a mark on the ashtray, he wrote me up for "graffiti" yup, he said that the black mark I made with the cigg IN THE ASHTRAY was graffiti and gave me a ticket. Judge threw it out thank god!