PDA

View Full Version : There's a Ron Paul sticker, purposely placed in the show Breaking Bad.

Matthew Zak
06-06-2012, 08:50 AM
Blew my mind! At 22:04 of episode 4, season 4, for a split second, they display a Ron Paul bumper sticker, deliberately. It's in the meth cook book that Hank shows walt.

Has anyone else noticed it???

specsaregood
06-06-2012, 08:58 AM
Its been mentioned a few times in a few threads. :) Next you'll be telling us about the large Ron Paul for President sign in the movie Slackers....

Danan
06-06-2012, 09:03 AM
Blew my mind! At 22:04 of episode 4, season 4, for a split second, they display a Ron Paul bumper sticker, deliberately. It's in the meth cook book that Hank shows walt.

The characters are pretty deep. Not only the main characters, but the side characters like Gale too.

When he cooked Meth with Walt, Walt asked him why someone with a personallity like Gale's is in this particular business. He said he is a libertarian and his position is that the government has no right to tell people what they are allowed to put in their bodies. And that if he doesn't make that stuff someone else will and he at least knows he's doing it right and that his meth won't kill anyone (directly).

So the bumper sticker makes sense. I know that many people claimed that the producers wanted to make Ron Paul look bad. But you could only see the sticker for a fraction of a second and if you didn't know it already you couldn't even recognize it. So I think it's just a funny easteregg.

Sola_Fide
06-06-2012, 09:10 AM
Ron Paul 2012
Legalize Meth

*paid for by LegalizeMethPac.com

tfurrh
06-06-2012, 09:12 AM
and the prize for 100th thread on this topic goes to:

Fredom101
06-06-2012, 09:19 AM
Funny, I saw that to at the time when I watched it. So are the producers of the show ultimately on the side of keeping drugs illegal? I always thought the show had a slight libertarian bent, because it shows how ridiculous the war on drugs is....then again Hank isn't portrayed badly.

LawnWake
06-06-2012, 09:23 AM
The point of the whole show is that the war on drugs CREATES Heisenbergs out of ordinary citizens because it pushes the market for drugs into a criminal underground. It definitely wasn't meant to look Paul look bad.

specsaregood
06-06-2012, 09:26 AM
The point of the whole show is that the war on drugs CREATES Heisenbergs out of ordinary citizens because it pushes the market for drugs into a criminal underground. It definitely wasn't meant to look Paul look bad.

Your own bias might be showing in determining the "point of the whole show".
I could very easily see a liberal arguing that the point of the show is that the outrageous cost of medical care forces normal citizens to turn to crime.

Personally, I think the whole point of the show is to provide entertainment.

brandon
06-06-2012, 09:45 AM
Yea I saw it. Of course the most awkward, effeminate, weak-willed character would be a Ron Paul supporter, right?

sparebulb
06-06-2012, 10:19 AM
Yea I saw it. Of course the most awkward, effeminate, weak-willed character would be a Ron Paul supporter, right?

I considered the same thing, but I choose to forgive the writers because it is such a damn good show. Did you see the part where Gale was dressed up in a kimono a singing Japanese opera? That was some funny stuff.

Tyler_Durden
06-06-2012, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the 100th thread on this because I never saw the first 99 threads. :D

+rep to anyone with a screenshot of the relevant episode clip. :)

NoOneButPaul
06-06-2012, 11:31 AM
The characters are pretty deep. Not only the main characters, but the side characters like Gale too.

When he cooked Meth with Walt, Walt asked him why someone with a personallity like Gale's is in this particular business. He said he is a libertarian and his position is that the government has no right to tell people what they are allowed to put in their bodies. And that if he doesn't make that stuff someone else will and he at least knows he's doing it right and that his meth won't kill anyone (directly).

So the bumper sticker makes sense. I know that many people claimed that the producers wanted to make Ron Paul look bad. But you could only see the sticker for a fraction of a second and if you didn't know it already you couldn't even recognize it. So I think it's just a funny easteregg.

/thread

No conspiracy here. Gale was an admitted libertarian.

slamhead
06-06-2012, 11:32 AM

Yes. I noticed it and went back and paused it. I have a picture of it on my cell phone. Will upload it and share.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-mwb85s38-yY/T8-VWzbA9JI/AAAAAAAAAn8/XHHDWJvP7Ec/s640/2012-04-22%252018.31.22.jpg

randpaul2016
06-06-2012, 01:01 PM
video clip?

neotechzon
06-06-2012, 03:10 PM
video clip?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQhuhAEqqb0

As a big fan of both Ron Paul and Breaking Bad, I put together this clip late last year showing this and other references to Ron Paul in TV shows.

Tyler_Durden
06-06-2012, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the 100th thread on this because I never saw the first 99 threads. :D

+rep to anyone with a screenshot of the relevant episode clip. :)

Yes. I noticed it and went back and paused it. I have a picture of it on my cell phone. Will upload it and share.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-mwb85s38-yY/T8-VWzbA9JI/AAAAAAAAAn8/XHHDWJvP7Ec/s640/2012-04-22%252018.31.22.jpg

You win the +rep contest! :)

Maltheus
06-06-2012, 05:16 PM

Aside from Walt Jr., he was probably the only decent person on the show.

slamhead
06-06-2012, 06:43 PM
You win the +rep contest! :)

Haha...now hopefully it is not brought up again. :)

DerailingDaTrain
06-06-2012, 07:37 PM
I saw it when I first saw the episode, paused it, geeked out and then continued watching.

DerailingDaTrain
06-06-2012, 07:41 PM

Can I ask in what way you thought the character was weak-willed?