PDA

View Full Version : Romney's Private Email Account Hacked!

No1butPaul
06-05-2012, 07:56 PM
I know this is going to be moved to OP, but who knows what might be on those emails!!!! Sorry in advance mod.

An anonymous tipster claims to have hacked into Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney's private email account.

The tipster told Gawker Tuesday that by guessing the answer to a security question — What is your favorite pet? — he was able to gain access to mittromney@hotmail.com, the account Romney used to communicate with his staff as recently as 2006.

In an email to Gawker, the tipster said he learned of Romney's Hotmail address through a batch of old emails released Tuesday by the Wall Street Journal. In his tip, he included the answer to the security question, and the new password he allegedly set up for the email account as well as Romney's Dropbox account. (Gawker blacked out both the answer to the security question and the new password.)

SecurityNewsDaily sent an email to the alleged hijacked account. It was not immediately returned.

Romney's campaign communications director, Gail Gitcho, said in a statement Tuesday evening that the "proper authorities are investigating this crime and we will have no further comment on it."
Also, the Associated Press reported, Gitcho would not say whether Romney still uses the Hotmail account. The address became public because Romney used it to conduct state business when he served as governor of Massachusetts, and some of his private emails were obtained under the Massachusetts Public Records Law, the AP said.
Romney isn't the first politician to face security problems with a private email account. Just weeks before the 2008 presidential election, a Tennessee college student accessed the private emails of Republican vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin. The student, David Kernell, was convicted in April 2010 after Palin and her daughter Bristol testified about harassment and disruption they suffered. Kernell had correctly guessed answers to security questions guarding Palin's account, giving him access.

Romney's private Hotmail account was accepting email as recently as March 2012. As of Tuesday evening, the address was returning emails to the AP as undeliverable, citing an "unknown address."
http://www.technolog.msnbc.msn.com/technology/technolog/did-someone-hack-mitt-romneys-hotmail-account-815270#

From Drudge:
Romney campaign says Republican’s private email possibly hacked, authorities investigating
By Associated Press, Tuesday, June 5, 3:54 PM
WASHINGTON — Authorities are investigating whether Mitt Romney’s private email account was hacked.
On Tuesday, the website Gawker reported that an anonymous hacker had signed into Romney’s personal Hotmail account.

Gawker reported that the hacker guessed the answer to a security question about Romney’s favorite pet in order to gain access to the account and change the password. The anonymous hacker told the website that Romney’s account on DropBox, a file sharing service, also was compromised.

Romney’s campaign said that “proper authorities are investigating this crime”

Campaign spokeswoman Gail Gitcho refused to comment further and would not say who was investigating. She also would not say whether Romney still uses the Hotmail account. The account was accepting email as recently as March 2012.

kathy88
06-05-2012, 07:57 PM
What was the password?

dead ones?

Okie RP fan
06-05-2012, 08:00 PM
Eh, I don't know about this. Seems to "easy."

bcreps85
06-05-2012, 08:00 PM
If true, I hope whoever did it has the good sense to post it all online, far and wide, before he or she is caught. Frankly, if he used the e-mail account as a public servant (governor), as stated in the article, I see no reason it shouldn't be public record anyway.

No1butPaul
06-05-2012, 08:01 PM
What was the password?

dead ones?

Woof Top

kathy88
06-05-2012, 08:09 PM
Please let there be a tranny hooker. Please? I'll never ask for anything again as long as I live.

Lishy
06-05-2012, 08:15 PM
I do not approve of hacking, even if it is Mitt Romney.

Though I'd love to know if he really is a conspirator, or just plain an NDAA-supporting, foolish jerk...

r3volution
06-05-2012, 08:21 PM
why does he get a private email account and i dont ?

notsure
06-05-2012, 08:24 PM
Please let there be a tranny hooker. Please? I'll never ask for anything again as long as I live.

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/40oz_laugh_in_tub.gif

PatriotOne
06-05-2012, 08:28 PM
Hard to imagine Romney would conduct corrupt practices in a hotmail account but things do tend to spill over when they think they are invincible.

Wish the hacker hadn't said anything and just posted them. Maybe he was looking to sell the emails as opposed to expose him. Probably a missed opprotunity.

Bet Romney's crapping his pants though.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
06-05-2012, 08:29 PM
Romney’s campaign said that “proper authorities are investigating this crime”

If that is true, it sounds like a confirmation.

matt0611
06-05-2012, 08:31 PM
There won't be any evidence of anything bad, even if there was it won't matter IMO.

bcreps85
06-05-2012, 08:32 PM
If that is true, it sounds like a confirmation.

Romney supports NDAA, right? If he's got not nothing to hide, why's he so worried? Oh the irony...

No1butPaul
06-05-2012, 08:33 PM
Oh God, I hope this is not going to end up like the Jon Huntsman video where they try to blame a RP supporter ... that would be horrible. :(

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
06-05-2012, 08:34 PM
Romney supports NDAA, right? If he's got not nothing to hide, why's he so worried? Oh the irony...

Those people usually say if YOU have nothing to hide... lol

Fredom101
06-05-2012, 08:35 PM
nothing will be on those emails of relevance. Romney is way to slick of a politician and too smart to know not to do any damage to himself over email.

messana
06-05-2012, 08:37 PM
I doubt the guy ever written an e-mail in his life let alone know what an e-mail is.

r3volution
06-05-2012, 08:42 PM
Please let there be a tranny hooker. Please? I'll never ask for anything again as long as I live. http://malialitman.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/romney-laughing-theyll-still-vote-for-me.png

No1butPaul
06-05-2012, 08:46 PM
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17ov646bcyjxkjpg/original.jpg

No Free Beer
06-05-2012, 08:55 PM
This is all we would see anyway:

To RNC: I am pro-life.
To DNC: I am pro-choice.

To The Weekly Standard: I am pro-2nd Amendment.
To Moveon.org: I do not align myself with the NRA crowd.

To evangelicals: I am for traditional marriage.
To independents: I am for equal rights with relation to marriage.

Get my drift?

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
06-05-2012, 08:59 PM
This is all we would see anyway:

To RNC: I am pro-life.
To DNC: I am pro-choice.

To The Weekly Standard: I am pro-2nd Amendment.
To Moveon.org: I do not align myself with the NRA crowd.

To evangelicals: I am for traditional marriage.
To independents: I am for equal rights with relation to marriage.

rofl

RDM
06-05-2012, 10:13 PM
NVM

DGambler
06-05-2012, 10:31 PM
Oh Oh. Someone just leaked the first content of one of his emails.

Simple
06-05-2012, 11:03 PM
Guessing the clue on a password retrieval is called hacking now?