PDA

View Full Version : Estonia is booming. Only Eurozone country with budget surplus

Agorism
06-05-2012, 05:52 PM
http://www.cnbc.com/id/47691090

How did they bounce back? “I can answer in one word: austerity. Austerity, austerity, austerity,” says Peeter Koppel, investment strategist at the SEB Bank.

After three years of painful government belt-tightening, that’s not exactly the message that Europeans further south want to hear.

At a recent conference of European and North American lawmakers in Tallinn, Koppel was lambasted by French and Italian parliamentarians when he suggested Europeans had to prepare for an “inevitable” decline in living standards, wages and job security, in order for their countries to escape from the debt crisis.

While spending cuts have triggered strikes, social unrest and the toppling of governments in countries from Ireland to Greece, Estonians have endured some of the harshest austerity measures with barely a murmur. They even re-elected the politicians that imposed them.

“It was very difficult, but we managed it,” explains Economy Minister Juhan Parts.

“Everybody had to give a little bit. Salaries paid out of the budget were all cut, but we cut ministers’ salaries by 20 percent and the average civil servants’ by 10 percent,” Parts told GlobalPost.

“In normal times cutting the salaries of civil servants, of policemen etc. is extremely unpopular, but I think the people showed a good understanding that if you do not have revenues, you have to cut costs,” adds Parts, who served as prime minister from 2003-2004.

AZJoe
04-18-2019, 09:13 PM
Estonia likely to see euroskeptic party brought to power (https://apnews.com/54d52f04e95944d8bf93f1bbb69ad2ed)

Estonia’s outgoing prime minister has been designated to form a government in a decision that likely will bring a populist, Eurosceptic party to power for the first time in the Baltic nation. …

Kaja Kallas, leader of the center-right Reform Party that won the March 3 election, was first tasked to form a government but failed to get sufficient support.

Ratas this month clinched a surprise deal with the nationalist, anti-immigrant Estonian Conservative People’s Party and the conservative Fatherland.

The trio would muster a majority of 56 seats in Parliament, which is set to approve the government on April 29.

oyarde
04-18-2019, 09:21 PM
I have a budget surplus