PDA

View Full Version : CA St. Sen (R): "I don't understand how decriminalization will actually reduce crime"

farreri
06-04-2012, 10:52 PM
California Drug De-Felonization Bill Dies
by Phillip Smith

A bill that would have decreased the penalties for simple drug possession from felonies to misdemeanors died Thursday in the California Senate. The proposed measure, Senate Bill 1506, was defeated on a vote of 24-11.

The bill was introduced by Sen. Mark Leno (D-San Francisco), and would have reduced the charges for possession of small amounts of heroin, cocaine, and methamphetamine. Leno argued that the measure would save the state money and result in more people getting drug treatment so they could re-enter society.

"No data begins to suggest that putting felonies on these mostly young people and incarcerating them for longer periods of time in any way benefits their recovery from drug use, Leno told his colleagues before the vote.

But his Senate colleagues, including some Democrats, sided with law enforcement lobbyists, who opposed the bill.

"I don't understand how decriminalization will actually reduce crime in California," said Sen. Ted Gaines (R-Roseville).

Actually, by nearly any measure—violent crimes, property crimes, murders—the number of serious criminal offenses in California has dropped by about half in the past 20 years.

"With bills like this I can see Amsterdam from the capitol front porch," said Sen. Doug La Malfa (R-Richvale), who voted against the measure.

No word yet on whether Leno will try again next year.

http://www.informationliberation.com/?id=39813

:rolleyes:

And these are the kinds of people (Sen. Gaines) who are writing our laws.

DGambler
06-04-2012, 11:00 PM
Effing morons... Stepping away from the financial aspects, isn't it more humane to spend money on rehabilitation instead of incarceration? Would you rather see your fellow man addicted to drugs get help instead of going to prison and learning how to be a hardened criminal?

<Insert string of profanity here>!

farreri
06-04-2012, 11:07 PM
I just can't stop laughing as to what he said...

"I don't understand how decriminalization will actually reduce crime in California"

How many times to you think he'll have to read what he just said to realize he answered his own question?!

Origanalist
06-04-2012, 11:08 PM
Effing morons... Stepping away from the financial aspects, isn't it more humane to spend money on rehabilitation instead of incarceration? Would you rather see your fellow man addicted to drugs get help instead of going to prison and learning how to be a hardened criminal?

<Insert string of profanity here>!

I'm not in favor of "spending money" on either.

Origanalist
06-04-2012, 11:09 PM
I just can't stop laughing as to what he said...

"I don't understand how decriminalization will actually reduce crime in California"

How many times to you think he'll have to read what he just said to realize he answered his own question?!

It will never happen.

farreri
06-04-2012, 11:14 PM
I can't believe every pro-drug war politician has seem to forgot the history of Alcohol Prohibition. :rolleyes:

RonPaulMall
06-04-2012, 11:15 PM
"Decriminalization" probably wouldn't do much, as under such a system pot is still illegal and requires a criminal syndicate for its sale and distribution. Ending prohibition is the solution that solves the crime problem. That's why I am so opposed to the whole "decriminalization" movement. It is a trap. "Ending Prohibition" needs to be our battle cry.

Origanalist
06-04-2012, 11:16 PM
I can't believe every pro-drug war politician has seem to forgot the history of Alcohol Prohibition. :rolleyes:

They don't forget, remember, it's not you or the country they are concerned with.

farreri
06-04-2012, 11:23 PM
"Decriminalization" probably wouldn't do much, as under such a system pot is still illegal and requires a criminal syndicate for its sale and distribution. Ending prohibition is the solution that solves the crime problem. That's why I am so opposed to the whole "decriminalization" movement. It is a trap. "Ending Prohibition" needs to be our battle cry.
Well I agree to what you say. We don't know if the State Sen. just meant decrim of possession, or the whole gamut. We don't know if he even understands the difference between decrim and legalization (i.e. regulate like wine). But I pretty sure either way, the State Sen. is an idiot and believe the war on drugs is a good and successful policy.

paulbot24
06-04-2012, 11:26 PM
This nonsense from the same shills that say mandatory drug testing for their congressional jobs is excessive and unnecessary.

farreri
06-04-2012, 11:31 PM
In the meantime...

5 bodies found in Ariz may be latest drug [prohibition] violence

PHOENIX (AP) — In the desert within 35 miles of one of the nation's largest cities and about 70 miles north of the U.S.-Mexico border, Arizona authorities found a car ablaze with five bodies burned beyond recognition inside.

The location of the smoldering car in a known smuggling corridor and the nature of the crime itself have Pinal County Sheriff Paul Babeu saying that he's all but certain a violent cartel is responsible.

http://news.yahoo.com/5-bodies-found-ariz-may-latest-drug-violence-030540894.html

Note I corrected the title of the article.

paulbot24
06-04-2012, 11:43 PM
"All but certain Sheriff?" "Yep. This is the work of one of those violent cartels." That's a relief. I thought it might be the murdering and mutilating pyro cartel people across my street than run the international prohibition racket. Well at least these guys know better than to set foot in the US again after pulling a stunt like that! It's just not worth the risk! [sarcasm]

farreri
06-04-2012, 11:48 PM
The scariest part about the main article is...

"But his Senate colleagues, including some Democrats, sided with law enforcement lobbyists, who opposed the bill."

So the incentive for law enforcement lobbyists is to NOT reduce crime and keep those private prisons full!

dillo
06-05-2012, 02:07 AM
If we made drinking water illegal, I suspect the crime rate would increase

DGambler
06-05-2012, 06:29 AM
I'm not in favor of "spending money" on either.

I'm not either, just saying.

PaulConventionWV
06-05-2012, 07:54 AM

Could you explain? What's the difference?

COpatriot
06-05-2012, 08:38 AM
What a breathtakingly retarded statement.