PDA

View Full Version : Marriage. How would the Supreme Court contend...

phill4paul
06-04-2012, 10:35 PM
At issue.

Bi-sexual males. Own businesses and marry in California.

Own businesses and marry different sex partners in Georgia where their same sex marriage is not recognized.

Guilty of polygamy?

Anti Federalist
06-04-2012, 10:52 PM
I can't for the life of me find any reason that laws against polygamy can stand.

phill4paul
06-04-2012, 10:57 PM
Nor can I. I think that if this scenario were implemented it would be a hell of a case.

Origanalist
06-04-2012, 11:14 PM
I always thought 7 wives (who had a job) would be great.

farreri
06-04-2012, 11:16 PM
I always that having any amount of multiple wives would be great! :p

Origanalist
06-04-2012, 11:17 PM

:D

phill4paul
06-04-2012, 11:41 PM
Missing the point?

farreri
06-04-2012, 11:44 PM
Missing the point?
Sorry. To your point, technically yes, they'd be guilty of the "evil" polygamy.

As someone else mentioned, I still don't see in the Constitution where it prohibits polygamy.

paulbot24
06-04-2012, 11:47 PM
Damn. This is worse than one of those, "Two trains. One leaves Atlanta traveling 60 mph to Los Angeles at 8:30. An hour later, another train departs from Los Angeles going 52mph, heading east......"

WhistlinDave
06-04-2012, 11:56 PM
Technically this scenario couldn't happen right now unless the bros were already married, because right now in spite of the legal ruling striking down Prop 8, which was subsequently upheld on appeal, the courts put a stay in place and it hasn't been lifted. I think it's pending one more appeal with the 9th Circuit or something, you know, because we don't want society crumbling apart and Satan coming up out of the Pacific ocean to swallow California whole. LOL

So your guys will have to be from Massachussets and then go down to Georgia to take wives.

And under current law, I don't think they'd be guilty of anything illegal. Unless they stop in New York along the way and purchase a black market soda bigger than 16 ounces from one of those black market super-sized soda pushers there.

paulbot24
06-04-2012, 11:59 PM
And under current law, I don't think they'd be guilty of anything illegal. Unless they stop in New York along the way and purchase a black market soda bigger than 16 ounces from one of those black market super-sized soda pushers there.

Priceless. LOL

phill4paul
06-05-2012, 12:01 AM
Sorry. To your point, technically yes, they'd be guilty of the "evil" polygamy.

As someone else mentioned, I still don't see in the Constitution where it prohibits polygamy.

Nor do I. I also do not see where it prohibits homosexuality. Yet of the choices..

Polygamy
Homosexuality
'traditional' marriage

Which group receives federal benefits?

WhistlinDave
06-05-2012, 12:02 AM

You guys have never been married, have you?

All the extra sex sounds great in theory--now you'll have multiple women who almost never want to do it!--but if the amount of nagging, complaining about my driving but never wanting to be the one to drive either, and all the rest, is also multiplied... I'm just not so sure it would be worth it.

You guys do know scientists discovered a food that permanently decreases women's sex drive by 95%, right? Hear about this discovery? The woman only needs to taste it once and the effects are permanent.

It's called wedding cake.

farreri
06-05-2012, 12:05 AM
Polygamy
Homosexuality
'traditional' marriage

Which group receives federal benefits?
Exactly, and some member on here was playing coy when I said that ironically, the only people who get special rights are those people who whine about gays trying to get special rights; straight couples.

farreri
06-05-2012, 12:08 AM
You guys have never been married, have you?

All the extra sex sounds great in theory--now you'll have multiple women who almost never want to do it!--but if the amount of nagging, complaining about my driving but never wanting to be the one to drive either, and all the rest, is also multiplied... I'm just not so sure it would be worth it.

You guys do know scientists discovered a food that permanently decreases women's sex drive by 95%, right? Hear about this discovery? The woman only needs to taste it once and the effects are permanent.

It's called wedding cake.
:D

This is like my joke about why I'm against gay marriage, I mean haven't they suffered enough?! :p

donnay
06-05-2012, 12:45 AM
The real question is-- why is government involved in anyone's lives, lifestyles or business?

State allows you to marry someone. You marry that someone, then the state becomes your silent partner--who is a lazy good for nothing, always holding out it's hand for your hard earned money, and spends that hard earned money frivolously. The worst part is you cannot ground them, take away their privileges or even demand they listen to you!

phill4paul
06-05-2012, 12:52 AM
The real question is-- why is government involved in anyone's lives, lifestyles or business?

State allows you to marry someone. You marry that someone, then the state becomes your silent partner--who is a lazy good for nothing, always holding out it's hand for your hard earned money, and spends that hard earned money frivolously. The worst part is you cannot ground them, take away their privileges or even demand they listen to you!

As you so succinctly put it in another post. Who wants a manage-et-trois such as this?

paulbot24
06-05-2012, 12:55 AM
The need for marriage licenses and death taxes will always be a mystery to me.