PDA

View Full Version : Small Victory with Rules Committee before the TX State Convention

Tyler_Durden
06-04-2012, 09:41 PM
The TX GOP Convention doesn't start until Thursday. However, temporary rules and committees are being formed this week.

Today, a rule prohibiting recording devices Was initially passed, but was struck down at the end of the day after some debate. :)

Here is an excerpt from one of our observers:

"Hi Guys...I just spent ALL DAY in the rules committee meeting. All the chairs were filled, but keep in mind they didn't have much room for observers. I missed the first 10 minutes only. Not that much happened for the first part of the day. They broke at 5:10 and reconvened at 6 or so, and that is where it got interesting. That is when people could testify. I took notes, but don't want to type it all out right at this moment. The main victory was that after they banned open recoding in the very beginning of the day, it was reconsidered in the end and the rule banning recording was struck narrowly. Of course, we were prevented from recording all day, but we will be able to record tomorrow."

drummergirl
06-04-2012, 09:58 PM
transparency is key :) that is some good news!

sailingaway
06-04-2012, 09:58 PM
terrific! Thank you!

ATXRevolutionary
06-04-2012, 10:14 PM
Fantastic! I'll be at the convention as an alternate, iPhone in hand. :)

Lmata
06-04-2012, 10:57 PM
This ruling was for the Temporary Rules Committee meetings. Their meetings can be recorded now. Those that opposed recording really felt the heat with all the delegates in the room watching and testifying - demanding transparency.
I'm sure it will come up again in the permanent rules committee. We'll have to vote on it again for those meetings.

MikeStanart
06-05-2012, 06:08 AM
Thank God. I'm surprised they tried to pull this so early. They've made their first move, it's game on now.

sailingaway
06-05-2012, 07:37 AM
This is the group the Romney campaign is busing in for a private meeting, right? Can THAT be recorded?

Tyler_Durden
06-05-2012, 08:17 AM
This is the group the Romney campaign is busing in for a private meeting, right? Can THAT be recorded?

Yes sailing, same group. And great question. I'll spread this to our observers to relay to any of our people on the rules committee.