PDA

View Full Version : 65% Say No To Ban on Super-Size Sugary Drinks

RonPaulFanInGA
06-04-2012, 11:21 AM
http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/lifestyle/general_lifestyle/may_2012/65_say_no_to_ban_on_super_size_sugary_drinks

The mayor has spoken: No super-size sweetened drinks will be sold in New York City if he has his way, but most Americans oppose that idea.

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 65% of American Adults oppose a law that would ban the sale of any cup or bottle of sweetened drink larger than 16 ounces. Just 24% favor a law like the one Mayor Michael Bloomberg has proposed as a way to fight obesity. Eleven percent (11%) are undecided about it.

James Madison
06-04-2012, 11:37 AM
What's frightening is that 1 in 4 people are actually in favor of just such a ban.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
06-04-2012, 11:38 AM
Only 65%... Guess we still have some work to do.

donnay
06-04-2012, 11:39 AM
This is the perfect example why democracy sucks. Mob rule. And why the founders warned us of it!

LibertyEagle
06-04-2012, 11:40 AM
Yeah, I watched a few minutes of Morning Joe this morning and 'ol "conservative" Joe, or so he wrongly claims, and his lefty colleague, both were in favor of Bloomberg's actions.

"Something had to be done".

lol

Sickening, really.

RonPaulFanInGA
06-04-2012, 11:41 AM
What's frightening is that 1 in 4 people are actually in favor of just such a ban.

Right. 24% of Americans apparently think it's the business of governments to watch over how many ounces of Coke you can purchase in one cup at the gas station. These idiots probably vote too.

Bruno
06-04-2012, 11:45 AM
35% believe the government should tell them how to run their lives.

RonPaulFanInGA
06-04-2012, 11:48 AM
This is the perfect example why democracy sucks. Mob rule. And why the founders warned us of it!

This isn't democracy, the people wouldn't vote for this. This isn't a republic either, as neither the New York State Assembly nor the New York City Council have voted for this. It's Dictator Mayor Bloomberg and his busybody health board doing this all by themselves.

James Madison
06-04-2012, 11:49 AM
Yeah, I watched a few minutes of Morning Joe this morning and 'ol "conservative" Joe, or so he wrongly claims, and his lefty colleague, both were in favor of Bloomberg's actions.

lol

Sickening, really.

It's strange that people think this will seriously affect obesity rates in NYC. While soda isn't exactly nutritious, in terms of calorie and carb contents it makes up a rather small portion of our diets. The cold reality is that God, nature, or whatever you believe in designed us to store fat--it's very advantageous. Only in recent decades has food become so common that storing large amouns of fat is actually dangerous.

angelatc
06-04-2012, 12:22 PM
This isn't democracy, the people wouldn't vote for this. This isn't a republic either, as neither the New York State Assembly nor the New York City Council have voted for this. It's Dictator Mayor Bloomberg and his busybody health board doing this all by themselves.

Apparently hizzhonor thinks that fat people are beasts, and need to be controlled. Can't have pudgy dogs running the streets of NYC.

http://communities.washingtontimes.com/neighborhood/middle-class-guy/2012/jun/2/mayor-bloomberg-calls-obese-people-beasts/

RickyJ
06-04-2012, 12:31 PM
Just a few days ago Bloomeberg declared it "Donut Day" in New York City.

I think the guy is a nut. It is hard to believe New Yorkers actually elected this guy.

Anti Federalist
06-04-2012, 12:35 PM
Just a few days ago Bloomeberg declared it "Donut Day" in New York City.

I think the guy is a nut. It is hard to believe New Yorkers actually elected this guy.

Abe Beame.

Ed Koch.

David Dinkins.

I'm not surprised at all, not one bit.

There is a weird "cult of authority" worship circle in the NJ/NY tri-state area.

RickyJ
06-04-2012, 12:36 PM
Apparently hizzhonor thinks that fat people are beasts, and need to be controlled. Can't have pudgy dogs running the streets of NYC.

http://communities.washingtontimes.com/neighborhood/middle-class-guy/2012/jun/2/mayor-bloomberg-calls-obese-people-beasts/

This is proof the people of New York City did not elect this guy, over half the people in New York City are obese. I am sure they do not like being called beasts by their mayor. Bloomberg is an idiot and I think he may have alzheimer's the way he has been talking lately.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
06-04-2012, 12:38 PM

Yeah, like making people pay for their own healthcare.

seraphson
06-04-2012, 12:41 PM
lol @ pending law to ban Soda in America to prevent obesity in the same America that has 1 in 6 of its people "go hungry".

farreri
06-04-2012, 05:21 PM
The mayor has spoken: No super-size sweetened drinks will be sold in New York City if he has his way, but most Americans oppose that idea.

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 65% of American Adults oppose a law that would ban the sale of any cup or bottle of sweetened drink larger than 16 ounces.
Further down in the article:

Sixty-five percent of those polled are obese.

Kidding!

MelissaWV
06-04-2012, 05:27 PM
Right. 24% of Americans apparently think it's the business of governments to watch over how many ounces of Coke you can purchase in one cup at the gas station. These idiots probably vote too.

It's worse than that. If they were actually in favor of banning soda altogether, or banning all containers over x ounces, or putting some kind of weird limit on how many sodas you were able to buy... I might at least think of them as consistent. Statist, but consistent.

Instead, you have that aforementioned gas station unable to sell fountain drinks (very cheap; huge money-maker, really) but able to sell the 2L bottle and a free cup of ice. Good job? You can also still sell diet drinks in whatever size you'd like, and juices, and flavored coffees, and other chemical brews. This is stupid on every level.