PDA

View Full Version : Boston Globe: State GOP shouldn’t use tricks to defrock Ron Paul backers

No1butPaul
06-04-2012, 09:48 AM
"Whether on the playground or in presidential politics, rules can’t be changed midway through the process just because they become inconvenient. But that’s what Massachusetts state Republican leaders are trying to do by invoking dubious technicalities to try to remove Ron Paul supporters who were chosen as delegates to the party’s national convention in Tampa." ...

"To the extent that Paul’s zealous supporters abided by the caucus rules in place, they deserve the delegates that they won. Attempts to throw out scores of caucus votes on technical issues, which is what party leaders would be doing by ignoring provisional ballots the rules had allowed for, should be abandoned."

More: http://bostonglobe.com/opinion/editorials/2012/06/03/masschusetts-republicans-shouldn-use-tricks-oust-ron-paul-backers-convention-delegates/61Tin6LgmP2oVjiwvc2lKK/story.html

sailingaway
06-04-2012, 09:51 AM
I agree.

This would not help Romney's already touchy situation in MA against Obama, to be seen as a cheater.

SilenceDewgooder
06-04-2012, 10:02 AM
This is why we can't wait 4 years:

That’s why Massachusetts Republicans must reconsider their delegate rules before the next election. It makes little sense to hold a binding primary to determine the will of the voters, only to see it undermined by a relatively tiny group of caucus-goers.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
06-04-2012, 10:14 AM
http://facebook.com/massgop

sailingaway
06-04-2012, 10:18 AM
This is why we can't wait 4 years:

Or we have to own the rule making body by then.

Caucuses are better, activists have more actual facts and are less media manipulatable, in theory. However, caucus rules need to be followed and transparent.

jbauer
06-04-2012, 10:37 AM
Sailing, I've been on the fix the GOP bandwagon for quite some time now. After what happened in LA this weekend my faith in the process even being fixable is fading.

cajuncocoa
06-04-2012, 10:48 AM
Sailing, I've been on the fix the GOP bandwagon for quite some time now. After what happened in LA this weekend my faith in the process even being fixable is fading.As it should be. After what happened here this weekend, it's hard to believe that anyone still clings to the idea that the GOP can be fixed.

MarcusI
06-04-2012, 11:07 AM
Depends on which LA delegation will be seated in Tampa.

FSP-Rebel
06-04-2012, 11:25 AM
As it should be. After what happened here this weekend, it's hard to believe that anyone still clings to the idea that the GOP can be fixed.
Since your state party's central com runs your convention you'd obviously have to take over that com to dominate. Most state parties aren't like that and they let the delegates have their say and vote on everything. Best thing y'all can do is to make an example out of Villere in whatever feasible way you can. We've seen the different tricks the establishment tries to pull but active police involvement seems to be isolated to certain instances, wrong or right. We had our convention at Cobo Hall in downtown Detroit and there wasn't even a cop in the building. Unfortunately, some areas are different from others and we each have to deal with what comes our way in our respective areas. Of course, Villere would love for the entire LA RP contingent to be running for cover, scared and all. He and the est win by default. Not to say I wish y'all had to go through that or anything.

Aratus
06-04-2012, 02:50 PM
there is a two to one ratio of registered Democrats to registered Republicans here
in the Bay State and our independents oiften decide our elections!!! am saying this!