PDA

View Full Version : Bloomberg?

briatx
06-20-2007, 12:12 PM
Bad for Democrats, good for Republicans? Or vice versa?

I can't imagine him stealing any Ron Paul voters. But as an independant he automatically makes it to general elections, right?

Seems like his stance on gun control will turn off a lot of Republicans, and possibly split the Democrat vote. Remember this guy was a longtime Democrat before going GOP for a few years.

Seer
06-20-2007, 12:15 PM
I had this crazy idea once where Bloomberg would be Ron Paul's VP on an independent ticket. It'd solve the money issue real quick.

qednick
06-20-2007, 12:15 PM
The man's a total nutcase. Apparently he's willing to spend up to a billion of his own money on his campaign. There's about 60 million gun owners that would not vote for him. If he wants to throw away his money let him. He won't affect RP's campaign IMO. Bloomberg is all about authority - not freedom.

surf
06-20-2007, 12:23 PM
i used to manage an investment portfolio. the Bloomberg system is what everyone in fixed-income uses. long story short, there was a time a few years back that the Bloomberg system made certain "bad' words illegal (inc. "dick" i believe). so i wrote Bloomberg a message asking why he was giving in.
He responded, writing that it was because of the "lawyers."
I also used to correspond with an economic writer there, and encouraged her to interview Cato reps and Ron Paul. She didn't like the Cato guy very much, but i do believe she interviewed or at least mentioned Ron occasionally.
Bloomberg has tried to make a stake in media (TV), but has seemingly towed the government line a bit too much.

Duckman
06-20-2007, 12:29 PM
I can't imagine him stealing any Ron Paul voters. But as an independant he automatically makes it to general elections, right?

Sort of. Yes, he doesn't need a party nomination to advance to the general election, but without the backing of a major established party, Bloomberg will face the challenge of trying to actually get his name to actually appear on the general election ballots. The procedure for getting on the ballot is arcane, difficult, expensive, corrupt, stacked against independents and minor parties, and also full of hard deadlines.

beermotor
06-20-2007, 12:31 PM
Yeah... what we do not need is more NYC bankers in government. You know, I get more and more disgusted by the Northeast yank domination every day . . .

tsoldrin
06-20-2007, 01:36 PM
My thoughts on Bloombergs effect... here (http://tsoldrin.blogspot.com/2007/06/ron-paul-is-walking-on-moon.html).

LibertyCzar
06-20-2007, 01:40 PM
I believe this is bad for Hillary Clinton, and Rudy Giuliani, and to a lesser degree, John McCain. Fred Thompson is bad for both Rudy and John.

Ron Paul will not be effected by Mike Bloomberg because many of their positions are different, and almost polar opposites. Besides, Bloomberg can no longer even compete in the primary, which is our main concern now.