PDA

View Full Version : Romney could nominate a V.P. before the convention

cassielund99@gmail.com
06-03-2012, 06:26 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/06/03/romney-could-pick-running-mate-early-advisers-say/

Is he even allowed to do this? I thought that the delegates have a say in nominating the V.P. from the floor. Also would it be against party rules?

sailingaway
06-03-2012, 06:30 PM
I honestly thought it was illegal. Maybe it is specifically TO STOP someone from being nominated from the floor. Like social pressure would stop us....

robertwerden
06-03-2012, 06:46 PM
It is illegal, and he will be in violation of federal election law and forfeit his nomination. So lets let him do it.

trey4sports
06-03-2012, 06:48 PM
maybe it is a way to quiet us down? Could it be possible that he would do so to take the wind out of our sails before we even get going? I'm sure he is fearing that the Ron Paul contingency is here to fuck his day up.

Ivash
06-03-2012, 06:59 PM
Why would he even want to though? It ruins the suspense of the nomination- thus weakening one of the most valuable supporter-boosters of the entire convention.

He could have his campaign leak information, but even that might hurt him.

QuickZ06
06-03-2012, 07:07 PM

zHorns
06-03-2012, 07:11 PM
His plan is to nominate Rand Paul to try to effectively stop the Ron Paul camp at the convention.

True story.

cassielund99@gmail.com
06-03-2012, 07:16 PM
His plan is to nominate Rand Paul to try to effectively stop the Ron Paul camp at the convention.

True story.

I was thinking that also. I know he won't take Rubio because it would cause to much of a distraction. Both his parents were not U.S. citizens when he was born. Even though he was born on U.S. soil. His parents didn't become legal till 1976 four years after he was born. Under the U.S. constitution he would be disqualified to be V.P.

Voluntarist
06-03-2012, 07:18 PM
xxxxx

paulbot24
06-03-2012, 07:19 PM
Romney might disregard the rules and name a V.P.? Why would he do that? Certainly he must know this is in violation of the rules! Pardon the sarcasm, but this would only be the Presumptuous Rominee's 5,938,211th rule violation. Still way under the total of proven violations necessary for the GOP to take action. Besides, they're too busy planning a war for these kinds of nuances.

trey4sports
06-03-2012, 07:45 PM
i still think the idea of Romney picking Rand is somewhat of a long shot.

Aratus
06-03-2012, 07:47 PM
mitt romney is feeding on the speculation and on InTrade
he is pulling even with potus barack obama betting~wise!

Southerner
06-03-2012, 07:48 PM
There's nothing illegal about it. McCain didn't exactly wait until he was nominated to pick Palin as his running mate (didn't wait until the convention started either). Neither did Dole in 2004.

Ditto. "Traditionally, presidential candidates announce their running mates around the time of their party's convention, as former GOP presidential hopeful John McCain did in 2008."

robertwerden
06-03-2012, 08:18 PM
There is a law that prohibits the promise of a cabinet position prior to being the official nominee. Ill find it when im sober.

Carlybee
06-03-2012, 08:30 PM
When have rules stopped them from making them up as they go along?

JJ2
06-03-2012, 08:32 PM
There is a law that prohibits the promise of a cabinet position prior to being the official nominee. Ill find it when im sober.

Cabinet, yes. Vice President, no.

cajuncocoa
06-03-2012, 08:34 PM
There's nothing illegal about it. McCain didn't exactly wait until he was nominated to pick Palin as his running mate (didn't wait until the convention started either). Neither did Dole in 2004.Neither did Obama...and Kerry.

Southerner
06-03-2012, 08:37 PM
http://www.dailypaul.com/230180/is-the-paul-campaign-primed-to-pick-the-vice-president

"Are we primed to pick Romney's running-mate?

It's starting to seem likely that Romney's campaign will not be picking his running mate, and that that task may be falling into our hands.

Who should we pick?"

KevinYeaux
06-03-2012, 08:38 PM
Um... pretty much every ticket I can think of has been decided on and announced well before the convention. While it's up to the delegates to approve the choice, I can't think of a time in recent memory in which the choices of the nominee were denied at the convention. And the vice-presidency is an elected position, not a cabinet position, so even if that law exists it doesn't apply.

The only way Romney wouldn't announce a VP beforehand is if he really were going into a brokered convention and wanted to use the leverage of the spot to get him elected. Sorry to all the "true believers" but that's just not the case.

sailingaway
06-03-2012, 09:22 PM
Cabinet, yes. Vice President, no.

vice presidents are nominated at RNC. If we have five or six states, I forget which, we can nominate one for consideration.

sailingaway
06-03-2012, 09:23 PM

True story.

Nominating Ron might do it. Not sure about Rand.

trey4sports
06-03-2012, 09:30 PM
Nominating Ron might do it. Not sure about Rand.

well ron wouldn't accept and mitt wouldn't offer so that point is moot.

Voluntarist
06-03-2012, 09:34 PM
xxxxx

No Free Beer
06-03-2012, 09:37 PM
I was thinking that also. I know he won't take Rubio because it would cause to much of a distraction. Both his parents were not U.S. citizens when he was born. Even though he was born on U.S. soil. His parents didn't become legal till 1976 four years after he was born. Under the U.S. constitution he would be disqualified to be V.P.

raising money.

RickyJ
06-03-2012, 09:47 PM
Romney might disregard the rules and name a V.P.? Why would he do that? Certainly he must know this is in violation of the rules! Pardon the sarcasm, but this would only be the Presumptuous Rominee's 5,938,211th rule violation. Still way under the total of proven violations necessary for the GOP to take action. Besides, they're too busy planning a war for these kinds of nuances.

The rules do not apply to those chosen by the elite. After all this is just a show to make the masses think they still have a voice in who becomes president.

No1butPaul
06-03-2012, 09:58 PM
Ron Paul could announce his running mate too then.

sailingaway
06-03-2012, 10:03 PM
Ron Paul could announce his running mate too then.

Except that Ron BELIEVES in the rule of law and wouldn't claim to be above it.

No1butPaul
06-03-2012, 10:19 PM
Except that Ron BELIEVES in the rule of law and wouldn't claim to be above it.

No question about that, but I'm just assuming the premise based on this thread's posting that it is not illegal. Even if it was completely legal (which I think it probably is), I know Ron Paul wouldn't do that. I'm just sayin' ... he could.

Southerner
06-03-2012, 10:24 PM
It is NOT illegal for Romney to select a running mate before the convention, it has been done many many times before. (When the nominee was "presumptive, and "supposedly" had enough delegates to clinch the win. (which is what "they" want us to believe) However, the delegates do VOTE on the candidates nominated VP.

CPUd
06-04-2012, 12:21 AM
Historically at the convention, the VP candidate has been nominated by voice vote, or if they go to a roll call vote, immediately afterward, they motion to make the vote unanimous by acclamation. Of course, a lot of negotiating takes place in smoky back rooms prior to the vote so that everyone is happy.

Seems like there is great importance placed on the appearance of having overwhelming support. This is one of the reasons the RNC is trying to disqualify Ron Paul delegates. Without the issue of 'boundedness', there will be santorum and gingrich delegates on the floor who could combine with the Paul delegates to have a majority. This coalition indeed will have the final say when nominating a candidate for VP, no matter who romney's people want.

Karsten
06-04-2012, 03:00 AM
Wow. Aparently, none of you have ever paid attention to politics outside of Ron Paul. Obama picked Biden, Mccain picked Palin, Kerry picked Edwards before the convention. Been happening that way for many cycles.

Karsten
06-04-2012, 03:00 AM
^^^ Not to say that it's not technically right, but it should not shock anybody.

Karsten
06-04-2012, 03:04 AM
There's nothing illegal about it. McCain didn't exactly wait until he was nominated to pick Palin as his running mate (didn't wait until the convention started either). Neither did Dole in 2004.

Don't you mean 1996? But yes, been happening that way in both parties for several decades.

devil21
06-04-2012, 11:29 AM
Wow. Aparently, none of you have ever paid attention to politics outside of Ron Paul. Obama picked Biden, Mccain picked Palin, Kerry picked Edwards before the convention. Been happening that way for many cycles.

They can "pick" whoever they want but the RNC still has to approve their pick. It's not a coronation. It usually ends up that way but this convention is looking like uncharted territory so far. I don't see Romney front running too far with a VP pick because if he picks someone the RNC isn't sold on and that pick gets shot down and replaced that looks really, really bad for Romney. And that's on top of whatever damage Paul supporters and the other anti-Romney factions do outside of the VP. Romney has to be extremely careful.

hrdman2luv
06-04-2012, 11:39 AM
Has RP picked a VP? Or is he planning on NOT winning the GOP nomination?

sailingaway
06-04-2012, 11:41 AM
Has RP picked a VP? Or is he planning on NOT winning the GOP nomination?

he has mentioned the Judge as a possibility but hasn't settled on anyone. Nothing says he has to pick in early June.

Re: Romney, if he is really scared of Ron he might announce a red meat type who won't help him (and might hurt him) in the general, just to survive the RNC.