PDA

View Full Version : Television and control

paulbot24
06-03-2012, 03:39 PM
I think most of us agree on these forums that the media, especially mainstream television plays a huge role in the way people think and their herd-like behavior. Most of us on here either weren't around or weren't paying attention to politics before the advent of the television. I think it has become a disgustingly effective means of control, but before television we had radio, newspaper, and cinema, which were also often controlled and certainly played a large role in influencing the public. Then there's the internet, but I want to stay on topic and just discuss the ubiquitous television in every household. Were we as Americans more informed before television? The media has always lied to us, regardless of presentation. What do others think? Are we easier to control with or without the television as a systemic means of communication?

VIDEODROME
06-03-2012, 03:49 PM
A lot of my thoughts on this are shaped by Marshall Mcluhan. I tend to think there are two groups of thinking: Individualist Literary Man who researches and finds his own conclusion and Tribal Thinking Media Man who has more of a group identity than an individual one.

I think because electronic media brings the world closer together in Mcluhan's "Global Village" it enhances Tribal thinking because it's so fast and easy for people to form into groups such as on Facebook friends lists.

I also think this is more complex then being merely about control. It's just that some people want to flock together under a banner. I'm not sure for example if all Neocons in media like Hannity are controlling people. It's more like a strange kind of complicity and I think even Hannity is caught up in it. It's like a vicious feedback loop between Hannity and his listeners that builds into a kind of hysteria that we need to invade Iran.

FindLiberty
06-03-2012, 08:11 PM
IMO, this MSM propaganda system functions as the primary propaganda organ of the state: It tells you what to think, directs behavior and election choice outcome that really offers no choice at all.

It’s the theme of many sci-fi movies. Radio/Movies/TV (especially TV) appeals to and trains the passive brain. It starts with cartoons. No plot or words necessary, all it takes is interesting sound and images to entertain the young mind to make it lazy and passive. Most people then become natural followers to fit nicely with their hard-wiring to seek a leader. Movies add tweaked up music and sound that's tailored to make an additional emotional connection with the viewer.

Active thinking is made unnecessary (it’s also pummeled by forced gov school system). The resulting “subjects” trust and love (or miss) their captors (Helsinki/Stockholm syndrome). A manipulated dialectic choice (problem-reaction-solution left / right or Rep/Dem 2-way election race) keeps all debate focused away from our tyrant rulers. The concocted hot issue of the moment is never compared with Liberty or the intent of the US Constitution.

For over 70 years, TV’s appeal to the human mind easily handles the great unwashed masses. Tyrants and leaders used to pick and/or approve all the mind programming content (for the good of the "whole tribe" full of village idiots). It was designed to benefit the tyrants, leaders and their corporate sponsors. Too many thinkers make it harder for wild-eyed fear mongers to bark out stupid orders and get reliable knee-jerk responses. Since the mid-90's, the internet and DIY videos have broken through the old guard control structure and this now allows uncontrolled (good/bad/true/lies?) content to have access to this universal pathway (TV) into the modern human mind...

Mr. Perfidy
06-15-2012, 01:31 AM
It has long interested me that the Television in a home occupies the space formerly claimed by the family shrine. Families always look to me like they live in a Church of the Television, whole room layed out relative to it as a gesture of piety.

also should say that the people behind TV production are definitely messing with very old and very villainous techniques of hypnosis; this occurred to me most clearly in 08, just after Obama's inauguration (though I had long been acquainted with the academic arguments about this), when I was watching CNN, and sandwiched between commercials, for about 2 and a half seconds, Obama appeared at the flag podium, said one thing with a command word, and then BAM, next commercial. Now, observing how I and others watch television, it would not surprise me at all if many viewers of that same program literally didn't notice this, or remember it happening at all.

thoughtomator
06-15-2012, 01:50 AM
It has long interested me that the Television in a home occupies the space formerly claimed by the family shrine. Families always look to me like they live in a Church of the Television, whole room layed out relative to it as a gesture of piety.

That is very much spot on. It is amazing to me how consistently peoples' living rooms are laid out specifically for the purpose of watching television, it is nearly universal.

Noble Savage
06-15-2012, 08:02 AM
I think it robs us of our imagination...zombies and animals can't imagine themselves as anything other than what they are

Mr. Perfidy
06-15-2012, 11:07 AM
I don't know about that; I've watched my cats either pursue small animals until the animals disappear down little holes, at which point, they curiously investigate the hole, flick their tale and meow in a weird way, and also do the same head-twitch/strange meow looking at birds fly away. How can you claim to know what is happening in their mind, because it looks like they are wishing they could do those things.

Mr. Perfidy
06-15-2012, 11:11 AM
I pose this question a lot to people- do you have dreams where you relate to/identify with a 3rd person image, as though on screen? Like there is a character visible as though you are looking at him, but whatever he feels or whatever happens to him, you experience as "I?" If people say that they do have those kinds of dreams (I do often enough), my next question is- do you think that this kind of dreaming always occurred as an extension of our empathy and imagination, or, did TV condition our mind to do that? If it IS an extension of our empathy and imagination, how fuckin crazy must TV be fuckin with our circuitry? If not- how fuckin crazy must TV be fuckin with our circuitry?!

Aratus
06-15-2012, 11:50 AM
this is the internal introspective goal aspected question for all our able LIBERTY candidates
in 2014 & 2016 that has to be articulated out! we need to answer a "why" answer ourselves!
we then need to summon up the courage to cut against conventional wisdom as we then run.

Sullivan*
06-15-2012, 12:54 PM
Wanna know what I think? I think it's weird that I'm 22 years old and have heard the phrase "bad-ass" on network TV all of twice... And now all the sudden every show on every channel spouts it every hour.

And what was up with the FCC relaxing verbal standards back in the early part of the new millenium? God damn was always bleeped out when I watched Comedy Central Presents, and then all the sudden Michael Chiklis can say "I don't care if her fuckin' pussy can cure cancer!" on FX at like 8 o'clock?

Travlyr
06-15-2012, 01:21 PM
They don't call TV 'programming' for nothing.