PDA

View Full Version : Hovde or Neumann?

Badger for Paul
06-03-2012, 02:36 PM
Who should we support in the senate race and why?

tsai3904
06-03-2012, 02:47 PM
Hovde wants to withdraw from Afghanistan immediately has spoken out strongly against the Fed. He seems to understand Austrian economics a lot more than Neumann.

Newmann sounds much more of a typical Republican when it comes to foreign policy.

bizz
06-04-2012, 09:59 AM
IMO Nueman has just hitched his wagon to the liberty movment because of its growing popularity. He was pretty much a standard Neo Con when he was in Congress. Who knows, maybe he's had a change of heart. The problem is the guy hasn't won an election since like 96. He runs all the time for different offices but is never able to pull out a win.

I really don't know a lot about Hovde. He seems to have lost some steam since the state Convention. He was really playing up the outsider card thinking maybe he could pull a Ron Johnson. We'll see what happens come primary day. I will say this, I don't think either one of them could be much worse than tax and spend Tommy Thompson.

Badger Paul
06-04-2012, 10:05 AM
Hovde for sure.

tsai3904
06-04-2012, 10:07 AM
In regards to economics, Hovde is by far a better candidate. He's talked about the boom/bust cycle caused by the Federal Reserve and how their money printing leads to currency debasement.

This is a good introductory interview:
http://www.ericforsenate.com/2012/03/eric-hovde-on-mark-belling/

He is also the only candidate to want to withdraw from Afghanistan immediately, which should say a lot. Other than that, he's virtually unknown in regards to civil liberties and other foreign policy issues.

tsai3904
06-22-2012, 04:05 PM
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/senate-races/234349-wisconsin-senate-candidate-calls-rep-tammy-baldwin-a-communist

[Hovde] came under fire this week for criticizing what he saw as the media's obsession with "sob stories" about people who "couldn't get their food stamps" rather than focusing on the high rate of deficit spending of the U.S. government that will "devastate everybody."

Hovde defended his remarks and blasted Arianna Huffington, the liberal head of the Huffington Post, which first reported on the comments.

"My whole point was if we don't get focused on the deficit we destroy our middle class, our upper middle class, but the ones that get destroyed the worst are the poor. I was saying we need to stop focusing on food stamp and sob stories, and by the way there are massive amounts of foodstamp frauds, but the point is we’d better star talking about the big issues, the economy and preserve things for everyone," he said, his voice rising with frustration and anger.

While Hovde's harshest words were for Baldwin, and he said he personally liked his Republican opponents, Hovde didn't pull any punches on their records, describing Thompson as a "career politician" and "corporate lobbyist."

"He doesn't have the knowledge or expertise of our economic system, and I don’t know he’s a true believer in free enterprise, which I strongly believe in," he said. "None of these guys could really tell you what’s going on in the global capital market, talk about how the Fed works and how it’s distorting our capital system, what’s happening in Europe."

He was about as kind to other Republicans, saying he "fundamentally disagreed" with how former President George W. Bush increased government spending and handled the economy and "couldn't stand" how former House Speaker Dennis Hastert (R-Ill.) and former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay (R-Texas) ran the House, blasting them for "the earmarking, the massive spending, the corruption with Abramoff."

The candidate slammed both parties for overspending, and said he wanted to see tax breaks for the oil-and-gas industry repealed along with an end to tax credits for green-energy companies — and a lower corporate tax rate paired with closing loopholes that allowed big businesses to avoid paying taxes while squeezing smaller businesses.

In terms of economics, Hovde is definitely the better candidate. It's also a huge plus that he wants us out of Afghanistan immediately.

GeorgiaAvenger
06-22-2012, 04:06 PM
At first I thought Neumann had a better chance, but Hovde is better on the issues and now has more momentum and money.

Hovde is the one.

Henry Rogue
06-22-2012, 05:43 PM
Hovde, had a post about it in >http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?365683-List-of-Liberty-minded-Candidates-for-US-Congress&p=4498831#post4498831
post #221 Not sure if hes vetted enough, but hes got to be better than the other options.

mortepa
06-30-2012, 09:16 PM
I like Hovde's views on the issues better than Neumann, but Neumann is still better than a lot of republicans (like tommy T for example).

Sure, Neumann is tolerant of overseas intervention and against medical MJ and against gay marriage and is a "traditionalist" at heart...but he doesn't march to the beat of the mainstream neocon either. He is pro-fed audit, he is a huge fiscal conservative, and not afraid to call out fellow republicans. He is also fully vetted, excellent name recognition, and endorsed by Rand Paul (whatever thats worth).

So It's a mixed bag whichever you decide. I am voting Neumann unless I am able to attend a vetting session for Hovde.

josiahkeller
07-07-2012, 10:53 AM
This (possibly internal?) poll (http://www.ericforsenate.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/SurveyMemo_07.05.12-.pdf) shows that Hovde is the only one close to beating Thompson in the primary. And Hovde is obviously the best policy-wise as well.
I had asked him the following on his facebook page, and got a response:

Mr. Hovde, I've had a question ever since I heard about you.
Would you consider yourself an Austrian Economist?

Also, what are your favorite books on economics?

Josiah--I absolutely subscribe to the school of Austrian Economics. On books--WAY TOO MANY TO COUNT! One of my current favorites is "This Time is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly"

torchbearer
07-07-2012, 10:56 AM
Neumann makes excellent microphones.

tsai3904
07-09-2012, 03:28 PM
PublicPolicyPolling ‏@ppppolls
Eric Hovde has a small lead over Tommy Thompson on the Wisconsin Senate poll we'll release tomorrow

GeorgiaAvenger
07-09-2012, 03:37 PM
Time to get on the Hovde wagon!

P3ter_Griffin
07-10-2012, 04:34 PM
http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2012/07/wisconsin-senate-race-getting-interesting.html

Eric Hovde has caught fire in the Wisconsin Senate race, taking a 31-29 lead over Tommy Thompson with Mark Neumann at 15% and Jeff Fitzgerald at 9%.

Attacks on Thompson have taken their toll over the last 4 months. His net favorability has declined 21 points since we last polled the primary in February, from +49 at 66/17 to +28 at 56/28. There's an increasing sense that Thompson is not conservative enough- only 34% of voters say they want him to be the nominee, while 50% say they would prefer someone 'more conservative.'

Increasingly it is Hovde filling that void for voters searching for a more right leaning alternative to Thompson. He is by far the best liked candidate in the race with 50% of voters seeing him favorably and only 9% negatively, for a +41 favorability rating.

Neumann and Fitzgerald have seen their fortunes decline over the last four months as well. Neumann's favorability has gone from +33 (47/14) to +22 (43/21) and his vote share has gone from 22% before Hovde entered the race to now 15%. Fitzgerald's favorability has held steady at 42/12 since our last poll, but his vote share has declined even more precipitously, from 22% to 9%.
It's a good thing for Thompson that Neumann and Fitzgerald are still in the race and splitting the conservative vote though. In a head to head between Hovde and Thompson, Hovde's lead would widen to 46-39.

It's the Tea Party putting Hovde over the top. Non-Tea Party Republicans split evenly between Hovde and Thompson at 31%, but Tea Partiers give Hovde an 18 point advantage at 39-21. There's reason to think Hovde's lead could get wider between now and the primary- he still has only 59% name recognition, compared to 84% for Thompson. Among the voters who are familiar with Hovde he leads Thompson 47-21, suggesting that as he becomes better known in the final weeks of the campaign his fortunes could continue to improve.

The general election looks very close whoever the Republicans end up putting forward. Hovde leads Tammy Baldwin 45-44, while Thompson and Baldwin tie at 45% each. Thompson's favorability rating has dropped to 40/47, indicating he's hardly the electoral juggernaut he's made out to be in some circles. Baldwin's slightly under water as well with 37% of voters giving her positive marks and 39% negative ones. The only one of the serious candidates who has positive numbers at this point is Hovde, seen favorably by 31% and unfavorably by 27%.

Baldwin has 4 point leads over both Neumann (45-41) and Fitzgerald (46-42), although neither of them seem terribly relevant any more at this point.

For the time this race looks like a total toss up- both for the primary next month and for the general election in November

:thumbsup:

Feeding the Abscess
07-10-2012, 09:01 PM
At first I thought Neumann had a better chance, but Hovde is better on the issues and now has more momentum and money.

Hovde is the one.

This is why we should just back the better candidate.

Robt_Emmett
07-19-2012, 07:52 AM
"I'll only serve 2 number of terms." We've all heard that before. But once politicians latches onto the government tit they never let go.
Neumann said he'd serve only 2 terms - and he did.

South Park Fan
07-31-2012, 09:39 PM
http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2012/07/close-3-way-contest-for-gop-in-wisconsin.html#more

Based on momentum, it looks like the choice really is between Hovde and Neumann, which Thompson will no doubt explain just like Dan Coats did two years ago. Hovde sounds better based on what I saw in this thread

jeremiahj13
07-31-2012, 10:58 PM
I supported Hovde when he was at 5%, and I support him still.

jeremiahj13
07-31-2012, 10:59 PM
Why I support Hovde? I am in the WI Army National Guard so foriegn policy is important to me: Hovde supports an immediate withdrawal from Afghanistan.

He also wants to cut spending, he's good in my book!

thehungarian
08-07-2012, 06:26 PM
Check out this post over at RedState: http://www.redstate.com/erick/2012/08/07/in-wisconsin-conservatives-should-rally-for-mark-neumann/

Erick Erickson making the case for Neumann over Hovde mostly because he thinks he'll be an insider-y type. He claims Hovde is pro-bailouts.

WesSeid
08-14-2012, 02:10 AM
Check out this post over at RedState: http://www.redstate.com/erick/2012/08/07/in-wisconsin-conservatives-should-rally-for-mark-neumann/

Erick Erickson making the case for Neumann over Hovde mostly because he thinks he'll be an insider-y type. He claims Hovde is pro-bailouts.
Erick Erickson bans people who say positive things about Ron Paul. Erick Erickson endorses Neumann. I think those two sentences speak for themselves.

If anyone reading this has an account over at DP, you might want to post something quick since they seem to like "police the world" Neumann over "Leave Afghanistan Now" Hovde.

thehungarian
08-14-2012, 07:34 AM
Erick Erickson bans people who say positive things about Ron Paul. Erick Erickson endorses Neumann. I think those two sentences speak for themselves.

If anyone reading this has an account over at DP, you might want to post something quick since they seem to like "police the world" Neumann over "Leave Afghanistan Now" Hovde.

Yeah, that seals it. It's gotta be Hovde.

bizz
08-14-2012, 06:27 PM
Both the wife and I voted Hovde.

rpwi
08-14-2012, 08:15 PM
Has the election been called yet? 20% in and jsonline.com says Tommy 33%, Hovde 32%. Tommy is such bad news... :(

Newman is a big time warmonger and very bad on civil liberties. He is pretty much a Paul Ryan clone (talks the tough fiscal talk but doesn't have a voting record to back it up...and is a neanderthal when it comes to the military). His support of Ryan was pretty much why he got Newman's old congressional district.

rpwi
08-14-2012, 08:20 PM
Here is a result map: http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolitics/164929496.html

Hovde looks to be doing strong in the east half of the state where the bigger urban areas are, while Tommy seems to be doing well in the country bumpkin sections of the state. Hopefully like most elections...the urban vote comes in last and pushes Hovde past Tommy.

thehungarian
08-14-2012, 08:39 PM
47% reporting

Thompson - 97,468
Hovde - 92,164

Don't think he's going to pull it out, unfortunately.

jkob
08-15-2012, 01:13 AM
Ouch. Neumann and Hovde split the vote and Thompson won. Thompson is just terrible.

Keith and stuff
08-15-2012, 01:25 AM
Here is a result map: http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolitics/164929496.html

Hovde looks to be doing strong in the east half of the state where the bigger urban areas are, while Tommy seems to be doing well in the country bumpkin sections of the state. Hopefully like most elections...the urban vote comes in last and pushes Hovde past Tommy.

Thompson also won the 3 big urban/suburban counties (the I-94 area). He won the capital county by a large amount. Hovde did well in the Green Bay area, the surrounding area, and pretty well in most of the major urban areas that Thompson won.

thehungarian
08-15-2012, 08:25 AM
Ouch. Neumann and Hovde split the vote and Thompson won. Thompson is just terrible.

Of all the four candidates, Thompson was the one that could absolutely not win. And he did. Well done, Wisconsin. The nostalgia is strong here.

These idiots at Club for Growth and RedState endorsed Neumann over Hovde when they have no clue that everyone in Wisconsin hates Neumann's guts. He is a grade 17 asshole and I am glad that his political career may finally be over. Although, his ego is such that I wouldn't be surprised to see him back for another try.

In "talk radio land" in South-eastern Wisconsin, where it is all conservative radio all the time, Thompson won handily. Fuck, I hate conservatives sometimes. They get so hell-bent on ensuring that a certain candidate doesn't win and then while they're squabbling like a child in the grocery store over who they should be electing, the one candidate who they didn't want rises to the top.