PDA

View Full Version : Change this: Big Corporation Media should not be called MSM

JoeTB
11-16-2007, 10:13 AM
I think that referring to the "Mainstream media" as the MSM feeds into the idea that THEY try to present to the general public - that any differing ideas are "fringe", and out of the mainstream, when in fact it is they who are planting the ideas onto the general public.

Even when statements complaining about the "mainstream media" are shown on those outlets themselves, the comments are just met with a smirk from the anchor. Much of the public doesn't see the term "mainstream media" as an implicitly negative term, since most consider themselves to be in the "mainstream".

I'm not big on political correctness and such, but since it is not themselves who use the term, but usually NON "MSM", why give this to them?

How about Big Corporation Media (BCM), or just Corporate Media - vs. Free Media?

Sematary
11-16-2007, 10:16 AM
om
old media

Ninja Homer
11-16-2007, 10:18 AM
How about just Big Media, or BM? :)

Or Old Media. The are definitely losing their touch with mainstream. That's why they're being replaced by New Media.

JoeTB
11-16-2007, 10:25 AM
haha yea either way.

I just think that it would also help wake people up to the issue of corporation control over this country as well, but whatever it is, I don't care. just not MSM anymore.

I'm sure if anything this will only turn into another debate over the details.... OM or BM or what not.

the point is MSM is no good. again it feeds right into the tactic that is used and will only be used more, trying to paint anyone outside of the established viewpoints as wackos.

big chunks of the country think of mainstream as a good thing. i mean RP activists refer to FOX as "mainstream" for gods sake. this neo-conism is nothing if not extremism

robert4rp08
11-16-2007, 10:30 AM
How about just Big Media, or BM? :)

Or Old Media. The are definitely losing their touch with mainstream. That's why they're being replaced by New Media.

haha good one.