PDA

View Full Version : The role of government in one sentence.

Massachusetts
06-02-2012, 02:50 PM
If you had to write just one sentence to describe what the role of government is supposed to be to somebody who knew nothing, say a child, what would you say?

Should be an interesting little thread. :D

erowe1
06-02-2012, 02:53 PM
The role of government is to facilitate the subjugation of one group of people to another.

jj-
06-02-2012, 02:56 PM
Nightwatchman.

Travlyr
06-02-2012, 02:56 PM
"This is the function that the liberal doctrine assigns to the state: the protection of property, liberty, and peace." - Ludwig von Mises

Sola_Fide
06-02-2012, 02:59 PM
Is the purpose of government to protect liberty? I wonder because Ron always says that.

Kotin
06-02-2012, 03:00 PM
the purpose and role of government is to control.

MelissaWV
06-02-2012, 03:00 PM
Government is currently there to tell you what to do, even if you know better, and to protect you from things you could better defend yourself from, and to steal money from you under threat of violence to fund all of the aforementioned, paying far more than you ever would have spent on programs you never would have dreamed of paying for at all.

Kylie
06-02-2012, 03:24 PM
Government is force.

It should not be this way, but it is.

Noble Savage
06-02-2012, 03:28 PM
government is for people that can't protect themselves

DGambler
06-02-2012, 03:30 PM
Government is to enforce contracts between sovereign individuals.

Eisenhower
06-02-2012, 03:40 PM
To serve the people.

erowe1
06-02-2012, 04:00 PM
To serve the people.

I can think of a lot of organizations whose role it is to serve people, and what they all have in common is that they aren't the government.

MelissaWV
06-02-2012, 04:02 PM
To serve the people.
^ This would be my answer for "government," but our current Government cannot be described as such.

Vessol
06-02-2012, 04:15 PM
The monopoly of the use of physical force within a given territory.

jj-
06-02-2012, 04:28 PM
The monopoly of the legal use of physical force within a given territory.

fixed?

Vessol
06-02-2012, 04:37 PM
fixed?

No. When the same institution that holds a monopoly over declaring what is legal or not, also decides that it's monopoly on the use of force is the only one that is legal. It makes a mockery of the word "legal" to a rubber stamp definition.

The role(definition in this case) of government is simply:
A institution that claims a monopoly on physical violence in a specific geographic area.

seraphson
06-02-2012, 04:38 PM
To pay for my food, shelter, kids, education, and healthcare. To warmonger and use an alliance of other government's nations to bully and beat up certain select nations into giving me cheaper natural resources. To make laws, bans, regulations, and to have things the way I see fit as long as it furthers their agenda as well. To tax those who are productive and leverage the difference into existence using fiat currency to pay for all of this. Mostly its main role is to replace my need to think for myself and substitutes that for its own.

MelissaWV
06-02-2012, 04:41 PM
... that's a lot more than one sentence.

Vessol
06-02-2012, 04:43 PM
... that's a lot more than one sentence.

Keynesian sentences defy your grammatical logic!

Pericles
06-02-2012, 04:58 PM
The role of government is to provide for the common defense, establish justice via an honest legal system, and secure the blessings of liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

muzzled dogg
06-02-2012, 06:55 PM
At the most, protect life, liberty, and property

evilfunnystuff
06-02-2012, 07:00 PM
The role of government is to facilitate the subjugation of one group of people to another.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-uXwzpClRE8I/TriqZbo38tI/AAAAAAAAAT4/4YHJp-Aoqlk/317476_182922011785607_100002034278453_387022_4619 37870_n.jpg

Keith and stuff
06-02-2012, 07:26 PM
At the most, protect life, liberty, and property

I agree :)

"...the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."
http://freestateproject.org/org/mission

Danan
06-02-2012, 08:12 PM
What government is, explained to a child:

http://vimeo.com/23912176

What government should be:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy9FRli7ODg

row333au
06-02-2012, 09:39 PM
The Government is the collective ownership of all the public citizens whose sole purpose is to administer the countries resources, - "and that government of the people, by the people, for the people" - thus first and foremost concern will be the democratic consensus of a republic conceived in Liberty under a constitutional order dedicated to protect and serve individual and sovereignty rights of its citizens (the public or 'the people') above all others, as answerable to all anti-tyranny, anti-corruption, of moral and ethics with fairness and equality to all created life.

VanBummel
06-02-2012, 10:05 PM
"Not much."

RickyJ
06-02-2012, 10:11 PM
To serve and protect the people.

But today it is more like: To screw and rape the people.

mport1
06-02-2012, 10:17 PM
A criminal gang who illegitimately claims the ability to legally initiate force against individuals in a given geographic region. Or more succinctly, the most successful criminal gang in a given area.

Pauling
06-02-2012, 11:25 PM
Government is a gun, pointed at your head.

mad cow
06-02-2012, 11:36 PM
That to secure these Rights...

patriot2008
06-03-2012, 12:16 AM
The role of government is to become a monster. Wasn't it said early on that it is like a necessary beast that needs to be chained, contained and beaten back, or abolished every so often?

Lothario
06-03-2012, 12:37 AM
Government is a place bad men go to control you, and they've tricked all your friends into thinking we need them.

Knightskye
06-03-2012, 01:36 AM
I don't think many of the people who volunteered explanations, read the original post that asked for an explanation that a child would understand.

ryanmkeisling
06-03-2012, 02:10 AM
I don't want to be governed.

noneedtoaggress
06-03-2012, 04:34 AM
"This is the function that the liberal doctrine assigns to the state: the protection of property, liberty, and peace." - Ludwig von Mises

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/303342_309709259106966_275328911_n.jpg

Mises also said:

If it were in any way possible to grant this right of self-determination to every individual person, it would have to be done.

noneedtoaggress
06-03-2012, 04:42 AM
Is the purpose of government to protect liberty? I wonder because Ron always says that.

He also says this:

Our standards of living are made possible by the blessed institution of liberty. When liberty is under attack, everything we hold dear is under attack. Governments, by their very nature, notoriously compete with liberty — even when the stated purpose for establishing a particular government is to protect liberty.

And yet even among the friends of liberty, many people are deceived into believing that government can make them safe from all harm, provide fairly distributed economic security, and improve individual moral behavior. If the government is granted a monopoly on the use of force to achieve these goals, history shows that that power is always abused. Every single time.

From the intro to Liberty Defined (http://mises.org/daily/5219)

awake
06-03-2012, 05:30 AM
The government's sole purpose is to protect my natural right to do as I please so long as I do not injure or damage the person or property of others.

In practice, government is being used solely to injure and damage the persons and property of others. To measure what government does vs. what it was tasked to do is to acknowledge absolute failure of monopoly government. In light of this, our clear path is market provided governance.

Private property rights is to liberty what oxygen is to the human body.

mrsat_98
06-03-2012, 05:54 AM
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed.

LibertyRevolution
06-03-2012, 05:59 AM
The proper role of government is to protect the rights of the individual.

BuddyRey
06-03-2012, 06:36 AM
Government is a problem constantly posing as its own solution.

Lothario
06-03-2012, 08:38 AM
speaking off the record: It's kind of insane how many people think the "proper role of government is to protect the rights of the individual," and yet the fact that for the institution to exist, it must then necessarily have a moral right to tax you without your consent doesn't seem to pose any inherent contradictions for them...

Massachusetts
06-03-2012, 08:58 AM
Thank you for all the responses! Keep 'em coming!

MikeStanart
06-03-2012, 09:16 AM
All your base are belong to us

mport1
06-03-2012, 09:59 AM
speaking off the record: It's kind of insane how many people think the "proper role of government is to protect the rights of the individual," and yet the fact that for the institution to exist, it must then necessarily have a moral right to tax you without your consent doesn't seem to pose any inherent contradictions for them...

Yep, this idea is burned into our minds at an early age though. It took me years to see the contradiction even when it was right in front of my eyes. Now it is so simple, I don't understand how I was ever fooled by it.

Lothario
06-03-2012, 01:17 PM
It took me years to see the contradiction even when it was right in front of my eyes. Now it is so simple, I don't understand how I was ever fooled by it.

Likewise my friend. It's scary how incredibly genius and successful the government has really been...

pcosmar
06-03-2012, 02:08 PM
Observed Role ?
Historic Role ?
Correct Role ?

Occam's Banana
06-03-2012, 02:10 PM
Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else. -- Frederic Bastiat, Government

Sola_Fide
06-03-2012, 02:30 PM

Which is why I brought up the fact that Ron often says that the purpose of government is to protect liberty. Some people will never be comfortable with allowing the tension to exist there between what Ron says at different times.

TheBlackPeterSchiff
06-03-2012, 03:19 PM
fuck you pay me

LatinsforPaul
06-03-2012, 03:35 PM
The role of (the federal) government is to adhere to Article I Section 8 of the US Constitution.

Travlyr
06-04-2012, 05:18 AM

Government is a place bad men go to control you, and they've tricked all your friends into thinking we need them.

Your definition of government is confusing to me. What you describe is an oligarchy of rulers who control others while exempting themselves from the law. That is not the proper role of government. Proper government is necessary to protect property, liberty, and peace. That is why I quoted Mises. He understood that.

Government protects individual's property by establishing standards and keeping them static over time. We can't use Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushel) as a governing document because people can change the defintions or wording. If someone sells you a bushel of wheat it should weigh 60 lbs at 13.5% moisture. If you know that when you make the trade, then the seller can't sell you 59 lbs of wheat and cheat you out of a pound of flour. You can prove in court or in arbitration what the standard is.

Same for liter, meter, gallon, acre, Eagle, and Dollar, on & on, etc. Standards are governing documents. Standards can be created by the free market, but they must remain static or else cheating becomes the order of the day. That is exactly what we endure today. We have a lack of government keeping the Dollar standard static. In 1792, the Dollar was codified (http://www.constitution.org/uslaw/coinage1792.txt) as 371.25 grains of pure silver. It was usurped in 1861 (http://moneyfactory.gov/historytimeline.html) by counterfeiters. If government had not allowed the Dollar standard to be ignored, then the inflation tax would be virtually nonexistent and it is by far the most expensive tax collected by the counterfeiting Oligarchy today.

Laws are also required to state that no one can go around killing someone else without due process. When that is ignored then peace is no longer protected. Again, that is the problem we endure today. A guy named Barack Obama or people imitating government servants in blue uniforms can kill anyone they want without due process or punishment. Ignoring the Constitution delivers same result as not having a Constitution.

Prosperity comes from the land. It can be mined, grown, or sewn. One can dig for gold, oil, or whatever on their land. Or one can raise food, fibers for clothing, or plastics, etc. Or one could build a factory and make airplanes on their land. But land has to have boundaries which require records and land laws in order to settle boundary disputes and other property issues. Whither that is done publicly or privately makes no difference, it is still governing documents used to settle disputes ... just like contract law.

If the 'Bill of Rights' was strictly respected, then the government would be protecting property, liberty, and peace. When people claim that we don't need any government at all, I say, that is about what we have now.

Voluntary Man
06-04-2012, 06:08 AM
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness — That
to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it."

kuckfeynes
06-04-2012, 11:59 AM
The role of government, from basic property protection to socialization of entire industries, is to monopolize.