PDA

View Full Version : [VIDEO] Phil Moffett Talks Massie Win, Liberty Movement, Considers Run For Governor

Sola_Fide
06-02-2012, 01:09 AM
Talks about the differences between Tea Party Republicans and Liberty Republicans, tries to explain a simple philosophy of liberty, defends states rights on gay marriage, defends the pro-life position, talks about run for governor, the future of liberty-minded candidates...how liberty-minded candidates will be able to win, etc. Much to unpack in this interview.

He gives an (understandably) diplomatic answer on a primary challenge to McConnell. Other than that (yuck), solid interview. Moffett is my pick for Governor or anything he wants to run for in Kentucky.

Phil Moffett considers 2015 run for governor, says tea party candidates learning to win

Phil Moffett said he’s open to running for a state legislative seat in 2014 or making another bid for governor in 2015 but isn’t interested in challenging U.S. Sen. Mitch McConnell in two years.

Moffett, who fell 10 points shy of defeated Sen. David Williams in last year’s GOP primary for governor, tasted victory last week after serving as campaign chairman for Thomas Massie, who became the Republican nominee for Congress in the 4th District.

Moffett discussed that win (0:20 and again at 9:30 of the video). And he answered questions about his own future after supporters chanted “2015, 2015” when Moffett took the stage last Tuesday to introduce Massie at the primary victory party. Moffett said he’s looking at another bid for governor.

“That’s a long way away. I’m still considering it. And I’m open to the idea,” Moffett said. “But 2015 seems 10 years from now … I’m not ready to commit that I’m getting in the race. There’s a lot of things that has to happen between now and then.” Find out what at 6:00 in the video.

But Moffett said he’s not interested in challenging McConnell in 2014 and is “not looking for an alternative to Senator McConnell.”

“I’ve just been more interested in state politics and local politics than federal politics. And I have no interest in running for federal office,” he said (7:45)

As for tea party candidates, last Tuesday’s primary brought a mixed bag. Massie received strong tea party support in his win. In addition Chris Hightower, a former staffer for U.S. Sen. Rand Paul’s 2010 run, won a GOP primary in the 16th state House District for the right to take on Democratic Rep. Martha Jane King. And Marilyn Parker defeated an incumbent Republican councilman in Louisville. Beyond them, a host of tea party-aligned candidates lost.

“I faced that same issue when I ran last year. And that is they had never run for office before. Getting to understand that process and raise money and become a formidable candidate, that’s something you have to learn over time,” he said. (4:00)

Moffett said tea party newcomers need to learn from establishment candidates’ fundraising and campaign organizations, calling it “political manufacturing.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llvfbKtlZlM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Crotale
06-02-2012, 06:01 AM
Who's Mofett, is he a liberty figure?

Sola_Fide
06-02-2012, 06:09 AM
Who's Mofett, is he a liberty figure?

He ran for Governor, but he got beat in the primary. He was also Massie's campaign chair this time around. I would count him in as a Liberty oriented guy...or possibly one of the guys who represents the bridges that connects tea partiers and liberty types.

BamaFanNKy
06-03-2012, 10:16 AM
Phil will probably run for Gov. in 2015 but shouldn't. Two candidates are already stronger in support than him. James Comer and Brett Guthrie. Brett is a US Congressman and not a very good one. Comer is Ag Commissioner and would be backed by establishment and Tea Party. Phil has quite a bit of baggage from his last campaign. He could easily be a State Senator. Just my 2 cents.