PDA

View Full Version : PAUL 2, PERRY 0 IN SENATE ENDORSEMENTS

sailingaway
05-31-2012, 12:19 PM
http://www.ronpaul2012.com/2012/05/31/paul-2-perry-0-in-senate-endorsements/

SilenceDewgooder
05-31-2012, 12:26 PM
Does any1 else find it strange that Paul's endorsements have been gold (pun intended), but he lacks the clout to win in his own precinct that he has does numerous times?

Adrock
05-31-2012, 12:28 PM
I really hope the Liberty Movement gets behind Cruz in Texas for the upcoming runoff in Texas. He is incredibly better than Dewhurst.

sailingaway
05-31-2012, 12:29 PM
Does any1 else find it strange that Paul's endorsements have been gold (pun intended), but he lacks the clout to win in his own precinct that he has does numerous times?

picking your favorite congressman in a district and picking your favorite president from an entire country are two different things. Ron was running first in TX in polls for the empty Senate seat when Hutchison first said she wouldn't run, but he has never been one of the top votes in TX for president. When it comes down to it, Texas is a southern, evangelical state on the conservative side, more. Ron does best in the north, mountain west, and northeast.

Still, I think Ron got something like 19 or 20% in his district for President, and since media had been saying Romney was the nominee for months, that is actually something of an accomplishment.

Adrock
05-31-2012, 12:32 PM

Paul is like Goldwater. He uses his candidacy to spread his philosophy. That is what creates a movement, which in turn will produce like minded politicians.

fr33
05-31-2012, 12:36 PM
I really hope the Liberty Movement gets behind Cruz in Texas for the upcoming runoff in Texas. He is incredibly better than Dewhurst.I'm sure we will but remember we only account for 11.9% down here.

SilenceDewgooder
05-31-2012, 12:39 PM
I hope Paul is like Goldwater since Goldwater won the nomination

Adrock
05-31-2012, 01:00 PM
I'm sure we will but remember we only account for 11.9% down here.

From what I have been reading:

Cruz closed the gap on election day considerably when compared to the early ballots.

Many more current Cruz supporters are much more enthusiastic than Dewhurst's about the runoff.

Lepparts voters look like they are more inclined to stay home than support either candidate.

An extra 12% that will be sure to canvass, contribute, and vote on a lower turnout hot Texas summer day in the middle of school vacation would go a long way.

Adrock
05-31-2012, 01:02 PM
I hope Paul is like Goldwater since Goldwater won the nomination

Me too, although I feel the resulting movement (ideological shift in the GOP) will be the same either way.

kylejack
05-31-2012, 01:14 PM
http://www.ronpaul2012.com/2012/05/31/paul-2-perry-0-in-senate-endorsements/
Looks like counting chickens before hatched to me. Cruz has the enthusiasm, but most of Leppert's support is going to go to Dewhurst.

Adrock
05-31-2012, 09:04 PM
Pretty good analysis on what has happen so far in this race and why it is very winnable.

LINK (http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/cruz-closed-gap-dewhurst-final-days_646284.html)

Okie RP fan
05-31-2012, 09:18 PM
So, Cruz is for sure better than Dewhurst?

Perhaps no Ron Paul in the making, but, if Dewhurst is an establishment nitwit, I will start helping spread the word for Cruz.

kylejack
05-31-2012, 09:20 PM
Oh yes, I think it's a very winnable race. I just don't think it should be counted as a Paul v Perry victory just yet. PPP had an interesting piece about it:

Dewhurst should win...but why Cruz could

David Dewhurst should win the Texas Senate runoff in July. He beat Ted Cruz 45-34 last night, and our last poll before the election found that supporters of third place finisher Tom Leppert would support him over Cruz by a 77-13 margin in a hypothetical head to head that has now become a reality. Overall Dewhurst led Cruz 59-34 in a potential runoff.

I think it's going to end up being a lot closer than that though, and think Cruz even has a modest chance to win. It's all about turnout and enthusiasm. We found last week that 49% of Cruz's supporters were 'very excited' about voting for him. Only 27% of Dewhurst's expressed the same sentiment. Among that most enthusiastic group of voters Cruz led Dewhurst 42-37 for yesterday's primary, and trailed only 48-46 in a hypothetical runoff contest. It's hard to say what turnout will be in July but assuming it's lower than it was yesterday that will work to Cruz's advantage due to the passion of his supporters.
Beyond that Cruz clearly had the momentum in the closing week of the race. Dewhurst won early voters by 18 points but looks to have won election day voters by only a little bit over 3 points. It makes you wonder if any of those early Dewhurst voters might end up shifting to Cruz in a runoff.

Dewhurst should win in July- but there are some reasons to think it could get interesting.
http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2012/05/dewhurst-should-winbut-why-cruz-could.html