PDA

View Full Version : The Daily Beast: 'Will Ron Paul Ever Give Up?'

SilenceDewgooder
05-31-2012, 06:05 AM
Didn't realize this was suppose to be a streamlined process - Never got the memo with the TPS cover sheet.

h xxp://news.yahoo.com/ron-paul-ever-084500426.html

Will Ron Paul Ever Give Up?

Mitt Romney may have officially clinched the Republican nomination Tuesday night with his win in the Texas Primary but he’s not entirely out of the woods yet. Romney won’t formally become the GOP nominee until his party’s convention in Tampa. Once in Tampa, he will still have to contend with the devoted supporters of Texas Congressman Ron Paul.

As a result of a carefully planned strategy to accumulate delegates, Paul and his libertarian acolytes will have a significant voice in the proceedings in Tampa and could potentially disrupt the nominating process. If so, it won’t be the first time Paulites have started problems inside the Republican Party. Here are five of the biggest disruptions that Paul and his supporters have caused the GOP.

Libertarian Run

Paul’s first run for president in 1988 wasn’t as a Republican. Instead, Paul, who was then out of Congress after losing a GOP Senate primary in 1984, ran as the standard bearer of the Libertarian Party. Dissatisfied with the direction of the Republican Party under Reagan, Paul publicly left the party and joined the Libertarians, and became the party’s presidential nominee against George H.W. Bush. He didn’t break one half of 1 percent of the national vote, and became permanently labeled as an apostate in the eyes of the Republican establishment.

Newsletters

During his hiatus from Congress, Ron Paul published a series of subscription-only newsletters that helped him share his views as well as make a living. The problem was that they included racist and inflammatory statements including the comment that the 1992 Los Angeles riots ended only when “when it came time for the blacks to pick up their welfare checks three days after rioting began.” When the story received a lot of national coverage in the run-up to the Iowa caucuses, it was an unwelcome distraction for a Republican Party that was already dealing with a lot of racial baggage in trying to defeat an incumbent African-American president.

Return to Congress

In 1995, Paul started toying with a return to Congress as a Republican and running against conservative Democratic incumbent Greg Laughlin. Then Laughlin switched parties as part of a concerted GOP effort to lure conservative Southern Democrats into the Republican fold. Paul ran anyway. Laughlin received a huge amount of national support from Republicans hoping to encourage other elected Democrats to follow suit. Paul eventually won the GOP nomination in a runoff after Laughlin failed to receive 50 percent of the vote in the Republican primary. The result dismayed the establishment Republicans who had gotten behind Laughlin. After all, while Laughlin, like Paul, was a party switcher, he was their party switcher.

Debate and Rudy

The disruption that gave Ron Paul national attention happened in a May 2007 Republican Presidential debate when the Texas congressman asserted that “[the terrorists] attack us because we’ve been over there, we’ve been bombing Iraq for 10 years.” In response, former New York mayor Rudy Giuliani, then the frontrunner, flipped out at Paul, calling that “an extraordinary statement” and “absurd.”Giuliani then demanded Paul “withdraw that comment and tell us he didn’t really mean it.” Paul did not and it put him permanently on the national radar as a unique figure in the GOP.

St. Charles County

Paul’s backers in 2012 have been successful at accumulating delegates through the caucus process, especially in Missouri. But this process has not been painless. At the largest caucus in the Show-Me State held, in St. Charles County, the first attempt at selecting delegates ended in chaos. Police were called, caucus-goers were arrested, and there was general anarchy as Paul supporters clashed with party regulars over the process. Eventually, a make-up caucus was held three weeks later and Paul won handily. But the delay and the confusion made all involved look bad and further muddied the waters in an already murky GOP presidential contest.

anewvoice
05-31-2012, 07:15 AM
He hasn't for over 30 years, I don't imagine he'll start now.

IDefendThePlatform
05-31-2012, 07:30 AM
Hit piece. Pleas break the link and just copy and paste the whole article so no one is tempted to give hits to such a garbage article.

Ron Paul's work for liberty isn't a "disruption." Unreal amounts of spin in there.

No1butPaul
05-31-2012, 08:01 AM
Must be a reason they're doing this, so I'll take it as a +.

sailingaway
05-31-2012, 08:08 AM
Must be a reason they're doing this, so I'll take it as a +.

this. And I notice that despite by now again knowing the entire newsletter story they don't mention that he was in Texas practicing medicine full time, while the newsletters were put out under a separate editorial staff in DC, still, when the 'bad stuff' went in, and it was the sort of snark that was in conservative newsletters generally at the time. Also they were published for a decade with no problems except during this period.

But yeah, that they are still attacking him pretty much shows they are still worried.

FSP-Rebel
05-31-2012, 09:49 AM
perfect article for yahoo boobs

seraphson
05-31-2012, 10:48 AM
How about that. Real Patriots don't give up. Real Patriots get shit done. Real Patriots don't parrot what the daily dose of MSM creates. Real Patriots vote AND cauces for hours on end if needed instead of loafing on a couch at home watching twenty minutes of commercials on the hour while getting snippets of the latest useless information on TrashVision. Real Patriots advocate sound money and sound foreign policy (Christian Just Wars Theory). In short, no, Paul isn't giving up.

jmdrake
05-31-2012, 10:59 AM
LOL. These establishment types must be getting scared to leave "blackout" mode and go back into "attack" mode. The campaign must be doing something right.

bunklocoempire
05-31-2012, 01:16 PM
"Should we even be mentioning Paul?"

"Uh.., I'm not sure what we should do."

"Well Trump is working out nicely, I think we can get two more weeks out of the birther thing."

"Yeah, but then what? We already had the Ann Romney bicker-fest."

"We could use that again, we'll get Ann to say something about meat vs. vegetables, you know, play up the rugged rancher meat eating angle, it'll play great. Two or three weeks of vegans outraged by omnivores, a real left vs. right thing."

"Ya think so?"

"I'm sure Ann and Michelle are down for it."

"Meat and veggies only though, nothing about raw milk."

"Well sure, unless we do the raw milk scare angle, you know, a week of devastated families affected by raw milk."

"Perfect."

John F Kennedy III
05-31-2012, 01:24 PM
Didn't realize this was suppose to be a streamlined process - Never got the memo with the TPS cover sheet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy3rjQGc6lA&feature=player_detailpage

SilenceDewgooder
05-31-2012, 01:41 PM

"Well sure, unless we do the raw milk scare angle, you know, a week of devastated families affected by raw milk."

"Perfect."

Do you work for the MSM?... sounds like something they would push.

Elwar
05-31-2012, 01:56 PM
Needs to be retitled:

Establishment grasping at straws.

bunklocoempire
05-31-2012, 02:07 PM
Do you work for the MSM?... sounds like something they would push.

No, but I am a member of RPF's and in being a member I've received the RPF 'second sight' concerning establishment and MSM practices.;)

http://s6.postimage.org/hk9uw5qb5/vegetable.jpghttp://s6.postimage.org/bxdhyonsh/meat.png

There has always been controversy and outrage (distractions) over presidential vegetables:

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/03/23/us/i-m-president-so-no-more-broccoli.html

March 23, 1990 President Bush declared today that he never, ever, wants to see another sprig of broccoli on his plate, whether he is on Air Force One or at the White House or anywhere else in the land.

''I do not like broccoli,'' the President said, responding to queries about a broccoli ban he has imposed aboard Air Force One, first reported this week in U.S. News and World Report. ''And I haven't liked it since I was a little kid and my mother made me eat it. And I'm President of the United States, and I'm not going to eat any more broccoli!''

The MSM/establishment will never give up, Paul will never give up, and I'll never give up. :)

fr33
05-31-2012, 02:10 PM
This article begs for a rickroll.

Voluntary Man
05-31-2012, 03:19 PM
Hit piece. Pleas break the link and just copy and paste the whole article so no one is tempted to give hits to such a garbage article.

Ron Paul's work for liberty isn't a "disruption." Unreal amounts of spin in there.

how dare Ron "disrupt" the neocons' smooth operation of their stolen party machinery.

I suppose the author would classify a police chase of drunken teenagers joyriding in a stolen car as a "carjacking"?

Pauling
05-31-2012, 05:06 PM
"Should we even be mentioning Paul?"

"Uh.., I'm not sure what we should do."

"Well Trump is working out nicely, I think we can get two more weeks out of the birther thing."

"Yeah, but then what? We already had the Ann Romney bicker-fest."

"We could use that again, we'll get Ann to say something about meat vs. vegetables, you know, play up the rugged rancher meat eating angle, it'll play great. Two or three weeks of vegans outraged by omnivores, a real left vs. right thing."

"Ya think so?"

"I'm sure Ann and Michelle are down for it."

"Perfect."

+rep