PDA

View Full Version : McConnell Weighs In On Thomas Massie's Victory

Sola_Fide
05-31-2012, 03:31 AM
McConnell says classic political formula propelled Massie, plays up Obama's performance in KY

Money and a solid campaign plan were the main factors that propelled Thomas Massie to the GOP nomination for Congress in Northern Kentucky’s 4th District, U.S. Sen. Mitch McConnell said.

McConnell, a proponent of more money in politics, said the combination of the libertarian-leaning super PAC Liberty for All spending more than a half-million dollars and Massie’s own fundraising helped him spread his message farther and thicker than the other candidates in the seven-person primary.

“I think it show if you spend one-million dollars and run a good campaign you’re likely to win,” McConnell said. “Massie ran a very effective campaign. There was an outside group who spent a lot of money on his behalf, it was a crowded field. Good campaign. Well funded generally wins, and that’s what happened.”

Unlike in 2010 when McConnell endorsed Trey Grayson in the GOP primary for U.S. Senate, he stayed neutral in this spring’s GOP 4th District primary. This time it was Sen. Rand Paul who got involved by backing Massie.

McConnell has favored unlimited contributions from donors in elections — as long as it comes with transparency. The advent of super PACs so far have allowed for half of that —unlimited contributions.

McConnell, meanwhile, has more than $5 million on hand in his 2014 re-election account and as of now no Democratic challenger.

As for McConnell’s other election take-away, he called President Barack Obama’s 58 percent against “uncommitted” in Tuesday’s Democratic primary a “stunning development.”

“The only people to go out in primary that there’s no interest in would be the most active involved Democrat, and nobody reported that 42% of most active involved Democrats, the kind of people who would go out and vote in primary in which there was no suspense, 42% of them preferred uncommitted to the president of the United States,” Sen. McConnell told Pure Politics.

While the Republican leader agrees the presidential race will not be competitive in Kentucky, McConnell thinks Kentucky’s primary results could be the beginning of bad news for President Obama in other states.

“I can’t believe that’s a Kentucky phenomenon. You have a lot of active Democrats who think the president has done a poor job, so I think he’s got a lot of problems with his own political base.”

http://mycn2.com/politics/mcconnell-weighs-in-on-kentucky-democrats-uncommitted-votes-and-massie-s-win-in-4th-congressional-race

Sola_Fide
05-31-2012, 10:33 PM
Here's Mica Sims take on it. She's on point as usual:

McConnell Still Doesn't Get It
http://micadaily.blogspot.com/2012/05/senator-mcconnell-still-doesnt-get-it.html?m=1

In an article on cn|2 Politics today, Senator Mitch McConnell is crediting The Money as the reason Thomas Massie crushed his northern Kentucky GOP establishment opponents in the May 22nd KY-4 GOP congressional primary.

So, senator McConnell isn't crediting the TEA Party, the liberty movement, and the rock solid Republican voting base that's fed up with career politicians who run as conservatives and then vote for taxpayer funded Wall Street bailouts, even though those are the reasons that Thomas Massie credited in his victory speech?

I'm not surprised, but I'm unsure whether senator McConnell is saying this because he's trying to dump cold water on the constitutional conservative brush fires that are popping up all over Kentucky, or whether his message is intended to reassure himself after senator Rand Paul defeated establishment candidate Trey Grayson in a Randslide (Grayson was McConnell's hand picked replacement for senator Bunning) and Thomas Massie just crushed the best the establishment GOP could throw at him, earning more votes than Webb-Edgington and Moore combined.

For those just tuning in, Senator McConnell not only voted for the unconstitutional and obviously not conservative TARP-1 bailout of Wall Street, he also twisted the arms of Republicans in Congress or it wouldn't have passed. McConnell's top five campaign contributors that year were big financial interests that stood to gain plenty by privatizing their unearned profits and then nationalizing their well earned losses onto the backs of hard working tax payers and their children who were sold into debt slavery by the Bankster Bailout.

There is a HUGE difference between the Wall Street bankster money that funds Mitch McConnell's campaigns and the money from individuals that funded Rand Paul and Thomas Massie. We the People contributed money to take back our country from the wolves that fund most political campaigns, and thus own most politicians.

Thomas Massie didn't win because of money. Sure, money is needed to fend off the vicious lies from the desperate establishment party candidates in the primary, but Kentuckians voted for Thomas Massie because he isn't an establishment hack who puts himself above everything else and his party ahead of his nation, while shunning our Constitution after swearing an oath to defend it.

Mitch McConnell, the Senate Minority Leader, lost 14% of the vote in the 2008 Republican primary to a truck driver who spent so little money that his campaign website was a free hosting site with annoying popup banner advertisements compelling us to "Meet Russian women for friendship or marriage". That 14% was the "anyone but McConnell" vote in 2008, and Kentuckians are MUCH more awake now.

Senator McConnell's establishment colleague and mostly silent partner in the US Senate, Bob Bennett, was defeated by TEA Party candidate Mike Lee in Utah in 2010. In fact, Bennett, the incumbent with very strong establishment support, was eliminated early in the state convention ballot process, finishing third. That's something for conservatives in Kentucky to think about as we all look forward to the 2014 election, when the real conservative activists are going to be out in force. Hey, Mitch... remember THIS?

Kentucky voters not only remember the TARP-1 Bankster Bailout betrayal, but more and more are learning about it all the time. That issue is not going away because it symbolizes all that's wrong in Washington DC, and We the People mean to change that. We are changing it. One election at a time.

Best of luck to Thomas Massie, swimming with the sharks in DC. Go with our extreme gratitude for your sacrifice. You're too nice a guy for such a fate.

Aratus
05-31-2012, 11:26 PM
^this^

...apt

samforpaul
06-02-2012, 07:01 AM
Not meaning to divert attention from Mr. Massie's victory....however I'd like to ask if anyone can think of a viable candidate to run in the the Primary against McConnell? (ala Lee vs. Bennett)

Feeding the Abscess
06-02-2012, 03:22 PM
Not meaning to divert attention from Mr. Massie's victory....however I'd like to ask if anyone can think of a viable candidate to run in the the Primary against McConnell? (ala Lee vs. Bennett)

Rand is backing McConnell. Keep that in mind as you look for candidates to (rightly) primary the statist creep.

jj-
06-02-2012, 03:23 PM
Rand is backing McConnell.

source?

Feeding the Abscess
06-02-2012, 03:30 PM
source?

He's attending fundraisers for McConnell's reelection campaign.

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/218929-no-grudges-rand-paul-signals-he-supports-mcconnells-reelection

And this:

“Sen. Paul and Leader McConnell have forged a strong relationship and created a number of pieces of legislation on behalf of their shared constituents. It’s clear the commonwealth is best served with their combined efforts now and in the future,” said Moira Bagley, Paul’s communications director.

Jeremy
06-02-2012, 04:32 PM
I wouldn't bother primarying McConell. Too expensive and would likely end in a lose. Wait until he retires (he's pretty old).

QWDC
06-02-2012, 06:53 PM
Anyone running against McConnell would lose in a blowout. He has the money, name recognition, and he's still very popular among Kentuckians. The money spent on his challenger would be much better spent elsewhere. I figure next time will last go around though, he's already mid-70s (he might even retire this time (2014) unless someone has info he's already keen on running again). After that, the seat should be won by whoever Rand/Massie/the liberty movement wants.

jj-
06-02-2012, 07:12 PM
Nothing would be as significant as removing McConnell. He needs to go.

TruthisTreason
06-02-2012, 09:05 PM
I heard McConnell was going to get active in the state house races.

BamaFanNKy
06-03-2012, 10:31 AM
Rand is backing McConnell. Keep that in mind as you look for candidates to (rightly) primary the statist creep.

I don't see anyone legitimate that will primary McConnell. Also, it's a benefit to Rand to show up and collect some donation names for 2016. To beat the game you have to play the game.

Aratus
05-03-2014, 05:31 AM
again... 2o16 looms
the senior senator's
staffers sometimes
lurk here. hello jesse
benton! sometimes i
know i was sorta
snarky to you but
other tymes i was
defending your many
decision calls. i am