PDA

View Full Version : CNN: How to stop election year insanity (some good suggestions)

J_White
05-31-2012, 02:16 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/30/opinion/beale-elections/index.html

I most of all like the third one.

1. Make the presidency a six-year, one-term-only gig. That gives anyone elected to the job plenty of time to actually accomplish something, while also guaranteeing that the second half of his or her term won't be spent running for re-election. What a concept.

2. Start the campaign season after Labor Day. Most industrialized countries run political campaigns that are three months in length or less. Do they know something we don't? Or should I say, have you ever heard the term "voter exhaustion?"

3. Publicly finance the election. Citizens United, up there with Plessy v. Ferguson (separate but equal) as one of the worst decisions in Supreme Court history, only made a bad system even worse, allowing more millions to pour into an already corrupt process. So give each contender a fixed amount of money, and tell them they can spent it any way they want, but that's all they'll have -- no private, corporate or PAC contributions at all. Let 'em whine. Who cares?

4. Ban negative ads. Believe it or not, Mexico does this. They have an independent commission deciding when a political ad goes over the line into negativity and falsehood. If they can do it South of the Border, why can't we?

5. Limit polling. It seems there's a new poll every microsecond. What do they really tell us? That people's minds keep changing? Stop the presses on that one! Pass a law saying every news organization and polling organization can only do their thing, say, once a month. Eliminate the clutter.

Darguth
05-31-2012, 08:09 AM
So...the government is corrupt and we think the solution to fix that is to have the government regulate itself?

Herp-derp.

The only idea there that I think has merit is the 1st one, and even then I'm dubious. We already have term limits, theoretically, they're called elections. What we really need is an engaged, educated, and responsible electorate. That would fix things without the need to sacrifice more liberty.

Butchie
05-31-2012, 08:20 AM
So...the government is corrupt and we think the solution to fix that is to have the government regulate itself?

Herp-derp.

The only idea there that I think has merit is the 1st one, and even then I'm dubious. We already have term limits, theoretically, they're called elections. What we really need is an engaged, educated, and responsible electorate. That would fix things without the need to sacrifice more liberty.

You said it all right there, to me those suggestions are just more of the same old pushing blame on something else instead of the people looking in the mirror and realizing it's their own laziness and ignorance that keeps letting these politicians win. As the founders said "The price of Freedom is eternal vigilance."

paulbot24
05-31-2012, 08:24 AM
The third one is priceless. Put that correction on your action-item lists Justices.

Danan
05-31-2012, 08:31 AM
What stops every citizen to run for president if 3) gets implemented?

A few months vacation in every major town across the country while eating and sleeping on taxpayer cost? Sounds nice to me!

thatpeculiarcat
05-31-2012, 08:49 AM
"Ban negative ads"

There is nothing negative about the truth. I'm tired of people labeling ads that contain no slander against anyone as negative.

Pisses me off.

jcannon98188
05-31-2012, 08:52 AM
What stops every citizen to run for president if 3) gets implemented?

A few months vacation in every major town across the country while eating and sleeping on taxpayer cost? Sounds nice to me!

Anyone CAN run for president. Presidential campaigns aren't supported by the Tax Payer...

Kilrain
05-31-2012, 09:03 AM
Anyone CAN run for president. Presidential campaigns aren't supported by the Tax Payer...

But if point 3 gets implemented? Or do we trust an independent body (haha) to judge who or what a "contender" is?

They stole the first suggestion from the CSA, btw.