PDA

View Full Version : "VET" ID to appear on state drivers' licenses!

vechorik
05-29-2012, 10:58 AM
Missippippi already passed it --

The REAL reason states are identifying VETS on drivers' licenses!

TX identifies Vets on drivers license: "Miterko pointed out that the new licenses could also help law enforcement identify candidates for veteran's courts, pretrial diversion programs that allow troubled vets to opt for supervised treatment and other services rather than going through the regular court system."
http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Texas-driver-s-licenses-to-list-veteran-status-2148355.php

.As of right now, 11 states have passed legislation, with the others either pending legislation or with no legislation passed. --Yep, national push:
http://www.milpages.com/blog/1642

---------------------------------------

You want to NOT be able to buy life insurance or health insurance the rest of your life? Just get labeled by the system as a NUT!
‎..and some vets would be so stupid as to take advantage of the "special treatment" thinking they'd get lighter penalties for whatever the offense was!

OPPOSE THIS IN YOUR STATE!

Honor VETS by NOT profiling them to find "troubled vets"!

http://www.milpages.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/DL-arkansas.jpg

jkr
05-29-2012, 11:21 AM
Scarlett letter anyone?

Nastynate
05-29-2012, 11:26 AM
I'd like to find her on easy street if you know what i mean.

coastie
05-29-2012, 12:07 PM
Yep- I just had to renew my liscense earler this month(FL), and the lady asked if i was a vet. Not thinking( i dont normally disclose that to people), i said yes. She then asked if had my dd14 with me(i didnt). When i asked why, she said they put a little gold star on your license identifying you as a veteran. She said it was optional, you didn't have to do it.

Im sure it wont be optional one day, but this new one is good for 8 years...

vechorik
05-29-2012, 12:10 PM
MS passed it "voluntary."

They are going to begin offering discounts to Vets and many vets will "register via license" to get the discount....then they have you.
At the same time this Vet ID bill was passed, MS LOWERED the standards for becoming a highway patrolman.
So what happens when they stop a veteran and have fears of them being a gun owner (which the majority of gun owners are), nut, or trained in hand-to-hand-combat --- Isn't that patrolman going to be more paranoid? Will minor incidents escalate into major ones?

This is bad all around!

coastie
05-29-2012, 12:13 PM
MS passed it "voluntary."

They are going to begin offering discounts to Vets and many vets will "register via license" to get the discount....then they have you.
At the same time this Vet ID bill was passed, MS LOWERED the standards for becoming a highway patrolman.
So what happens when they stop a veteran and have fears of them being a gun owner (which the majority of gun owners are), nut, or trained in hand-to-hand-combat --- Isn't that patrolman going to be more paranoid? Will minor incidents escalate into major ones?
Ko
This is bad all around!

If a paltry discounton is all they want, then i guess i have no soft spot for them. I have never used that excuse for a discount, ever.

vechorik
05-29-2012, 12:18 PM
If a paltry discounton is all they want, then i guess i have no soft spot for them. I have never used that excuse for a discount, ever.

The irony is, as of now, only active military and retired military get business discounts. They ALREADY have a military ID card. This bill is totally unnecessary.

coastie
05-29-2012, 12:26 PM
The irony is, as of now, only active military and retired military get business discounts. They ALREADY have a military ID card. This bill is totally unnecessary.

Hmm good point, didnt think of that.

vechorik
05-29-2012, 12:26 PM
More about WHY IDing Vets:

The justice system has struggled to find ways to properly address the plight of veterans whose service-induced mental health problems have contributed to criminal activity. Veterans Courts are now attempting to strike a balance between accountability and rehabilitation in the interest of honoring the often traumatic service of our nation's veterans.
http://www.disabled-world.com/disability/legal/veterans-court.php

fisharmor
05-29-2012, 12:36 PM
Or, it could be that the PTB are worried that police gunning down veterans is actually getting reported in alternative media, and they're doing this in order to let cops know that they should avoid using SOP.

In short, maybe they're broadening the "cop circle of friends" to include vets.
This could be as basic as trying not to piss off a class of people who have more firearms and combat training than the cops do.

pcosmar
05-29-2012, 12:44 PM
Do not want.
I seldom identify myself as such. And I will have to renew mine next year.

coastie
05-29-2012, 01:51 PM
Do not want.
I seldom identify myself as such. And I will have to renew mine next year.

Go renew now if they havent passed it in Michigan yet...my friend got a new dl 6my months before i did, and his doesnt look like mine(real id), and his is grandfathered in. Something I meant to do years ago, but procrastinated.

vechorik
05-29-2012, 03:12 PM
Largest newspaper in the state called. They'll print my "Letter to the Editor!"

---------

Re: MS Senate Bill 2461 "To Require The Designation Of Veterans On Driver's License And Identification Card;"

Eleven states have passed similar legislation, with other states having pending legislation or with no legislation passed. This is a national push to target veterans and it's sponsored by a supposedly veteran support group! John Miterko of the Texas Coalition of Veterans Organizations pointed out, "....the new licenses could also help law enforcement identify candidates for veteran's courts, pretrial diversion programs that allow troubled vets to opt for supervised treatment and other services rather than going through the regular court system."

As a veteran, I go to the VA for medical care. I'm asked about drinking, drug use, gun ownership, thoughts of suicide, thoughts of violence, depression, etc. Veterans are targeted as a potential "problem group." Current veterans face the highest suicide rate in our military history and comprise the majority of gun owners. Many veterans received special training in hand-to-hand combat. When a highway patrolman sees "VET" on my license, what is he to think of me? Will he become paranoid? Will a minor incident become a major one?

I am told that "VET" on a driver's licenses will make it easier to get military discounts. This is untrue. Military discounts are given to active and retired military personnel who must show their military ID to get discounts at some civilian-owned businesses.

What happens when a business offers a discount to anyone with "VET" on their driver's license? People will sign-away their privacy rights for a discount.
What happens when a bill is written to allow "FELON," "GUN OWNER," or other group the government wants to target?

Let's honor our Vets by not profiling them and let's not use the driver's license system for anything other than...a driver's license.

Austrian Econ Disciple
05-29-2012, 03:23 PM
Well so much for equality of law, aye?

vechorik
05-29-2012, 03:30 PM
As a vet, I think I'd take my chances with the criminal justice system, rather than being placed with the label "mental issues" for the rest of my life!

I'm a Vietnam vet and never heard of this program. If they want to help vets, why not ADVERTISE THE PROGRAM rather than target vets on drivers' licenses?
HAS ANY VET HERE HEARD OF THIS PROGRAM BEFORE?

"Veterans courts are serving as a way for judges to grant veterans with service-induced brain injury or mental illness leniency in sentencing.

The Bureau of Justice Statistics estimate that roughly one million veterans of the current Iraq and Afghanistan wars have been cycled into the Veterans Affairs system to date. Roughly a third of these active duty veterans are returning to civilian life at risk for mental health problems including post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). The justice system has struggled to find ways to properly address the plight of veterans whose service-induced mental health problems have contributed to criminal activity. Veterans Courts are now attempting to strike a balance between accountability and rehabilitation in the interest of honoring the often traumatic service of our nation's veterans."

HOLLYWOOD
05-29-2012, 05:30 PM
Look out for VET ink in Blue, Black, or Red.

I see the politburos of America are giving favortism in reclassifying citizens with a tattoo on their "PAPERS". Who serves 'The State' best. Just like Teddy Kennedy in that discriminatory bill of the government repaying college costs for federal agents, police and teachers.

Another notch in the Fasco-Commie American governments.

Anti Federalist
05-29-2012, 05:35 PM
Being the ever pessimist that I am, I find these motives much more sinister.

Who has SPLC consistently identified as a prime source of "domestic terrorists"?

What was Timothy McVeigh?

Who has been singled out by DHS as being worthy of surveillance as potential "domestic terrorists"?

Put "Veteran" in the Matrix and it will guarantee a swift and brutal SWAT raid when the system "runs your number".

Or, it could be that the PTB are worried that police gunning down veterans is actually getting reported in alternative media, and they're doing this in order to let cops know that they should avoid using SOP.

This could be as basic as trying not to piss off a class of people who have more firearms and combat training than the cops do.

Keith and stuff
05-29-2012, 10:18 PM

Cops are gonna see veteran and give liter or no fines, more likely. It's part of the reason so many people have vet plates right now. Since so many cops were vets, had parents that were vets, are friends with vets or respect vets, they tend to treat vets better.

Pauls' Revere
05-29-2012, 11:10 PM

The justice system has struggled to find ways to properly address the plight of veterans whose service-induced mental health problems have contributed to criminal activity. Veterans Courts are now attempting to strike a balance between accountability and rehabilitation in the interest of honoring the often traumatic service of our nation's veterans.

Good, those with PTSD or Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) need all the help they can get. often they do not self identify with symptoms and perhaps a screening process for this can help many. I can see the up side to this as many vets are returning home. We should not repeat the mistakes of Vietnam and simply let them fall between the cracks.

oyarde
05-29-2012, 11:32 PM

http://www.disabled-world.com/disability/legal/veterans-court.php Yes my " mental health problems " , must be to blame for my being pissed off at a deficit that will destroy my Country , Effing retards .

oyarde
05-29-2012, 11:36 PM

This could be as basic as trying not to piss off a class of people who have more firearms and combat training than the cops do. You think they are that smart ? I had no idea cops had friends , except other cops and snitches ? Hell , I bet they have no friends and would snitch on one another ... cops should probably be like State Representatives , up for public review every two years , if the are even deemed necessary .... ?

Pericles
05-30-2012, 02:10 PM
I'll worry about it in 2014 when I renew mine. They already know I have insurance on my car via USAA (military insurance), CHL at the special rate for vets, so what is the real additional info by having my DL labeled, too?

At best, I might get less hassle, at worst, I'm not giving away more info that any reasonably intelligent person could figure out anyway.