PDA

View Full Version : 'Paul delegates who couldn't impact the eventual nominee' - So Afraid

SilenceDewgooder
05-29-2012, 10:15 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/eli-lehrer/ron-paul-should-drop-out-_b_1548182.html?ref=politics

Ron Paul Should Drop Out Now

In recent weeks, Ron Paul has emerged as the greatest threat to the Republican Party's future. If the Texas Congressman and one-time Libertarian Party presidential nominee actually wants to see President Obama defeated in November, he should bow out of the Republican nomination process quickly, accept whatever offer the Romney camp offers him for a speaking slot during the convention, and endorse the inevitable nominee. His continued efforts to pursue delegates (even after saying that he wouldn't contest future primaries) make the possibility that the GOP convention could become a party-damaging circus rather than the coronation-style infomercial that's needed to unify the party.

The facts are pretty simple: Paul supporters, with the aid and comfort of his campaign organization, are doing everything they can to get more delegates even as their candidate has stopped trying to win actual votes. One Texan friend -- a Romney supporter -- said that local Paul supporters (none of them previously known to local party regulars) stretched a routine pre-election meeting out to hours beyond its normal length in an effort to force the acceptance of a handful of Paul delegates who couldn't impact the eventual nominee whatever happens. Paul supporters, likewise, have launched plans to "convert" delegates from other candidates to their man. And widespread Facebook posts call on delegates to exploit a Republican Party rule that allows votes open votes on nominee during the first ballot.

This could really be a mess: although, baring a live boy/dead girl situation Romney will be the nominee by the time the last delegates check out of their hotels in Tampa on August 30, a critical mass of Paul delegates could make things messy simply by challenging Romney, trying unsuccessfully to get their pet issues added to the platform and, maybe, even finagling a way to drag out the first ballot beyond the allotted time. It's all for naught. Romney will be the nominee even after all of this and only the most petty Paul-follower concerns will make it into the platform. And they shouldn't. Romney is, in any case, the only Republican who has the resources, support, network and name recognition to mount a national campaign that could beat Obama.

And, since Obama currently has a small overall polling lead and a commanding electoral one, Romney is going to have to run a good campaign. While distaste with Obama is, indeed, high, that can't carry an election: instead, the GOP will need an energized base to turn on its friends and friends of friends and put Romney over the top. This, in turn, will require strong local party organizations with leaders hooked into local political networks. Mostly, the mainstream (that is, Romney) party stalwarts fit this label while Paul supporters do not. Particularly for marginally engaged Republican-leaning voters, furthermore, an organized convention that looks good on TV and shows a unified party will play a key role in turning them out at the polls.

The Democrats will, no doubt, put on just that sort of show and, unless something extraordinary happens, turn out for the President in November. The GOP needs to match this effort if it wants to have any chance of winning. Ron Paul, right now, is the one person would and could disrupt it. If he knows what's good for his party and, indeed, the nation, Ron Paul should shut down his campaign organization and endorse Mitt Romney now.

No1butPaul
05-29-2012, 10:22 AM
Wow, hard to believe this was from the Huffington Post since they are so liberal. What a bunch of garbage!

kathy88
05-29-2012, 10:22 AM
What is it these ass clowns don't get. MOST RP supporters could care less if the Obamination gets 4 more. Romney will be NO DIFFERENT.

TonySutton
05-29-2012, 10:33 AM
They don't want anyone talking about civil liberties and peace while their man is holding office.

No1butPaul
05-29-2012, 10:33 AM
Take heart -- the comments aren't garbage, they're great (as usual)!

First, a vote for either Obama or Romney will NOT make any difference. Other than a few social wedge issue (gay marriage, birth control) you're kidding yourself if you think there is a real difference between the two...or from Bush for that matter. Expect endless war, reckless spending (both defense and social), continued chipping away at our civil liberties to make us "safe".

Second, this comment... "possibility that the GOP convention could become a party-damaging circus rather than the coronation-style infomercial that's needed to unify the party. " this needs to happen. The phony RINOs need to be purged from the party.
----------
Do you think Ron Paul has any concern for the contemporary Republican Party. He's in it to change them for the better even it hurts the party in the short term. It's amazing to me to see the youth movement he's inspired and the mass of converts from the left.
----------
I just love these chase-your-own-tail news articles. Ron Paul is cheated on, lied to, blacked out, lied upon and dismissed by the MSM. I wish him the best of luck, he is a true American and history will show that. I feel sorry for those who have decided to go down into the annals of time as truly ignorant.
------------
This article reeks of fear. Ron Paul has every right to continue and Romney is a joke.
------------
Not Gonna Happen! The AP's counts are a lie and this will be decided in Tampa. Romney CAN NOT beat Obama, But Ron Paul CAN. So if you want Obama out like most of us do, you'd better get behind Dr.Paul.
-------------
Eli Lehrer, Mitt Romney is a trader to the GOP but you big corporation people like him, Mitt Is Anti-Gun And Pro big government, And a Draft Dodger. why are you backing him?
------------
Since Romney is going to lose in November, Paul has nothing to lose by trying to remake the Republican Party in his image.
------------
If Republicans just aren't enthusiastic enough about Romney to stay late at these meetings and to ensure he has the delegates, what does that say about the quality of your nominee?
-------
Mitt Romney should drop out, even he knows he's going to lose.

kathy88
05-29-2012, 10:38 AM
Article written by Vice President of a non-profit called Heartland institute, which is touted as a non-profit but sounds like a powerful Chicago lobbyist.

Mission: Its mission is to discover, develop, and promote free-market solutions to social and economic problems.
Right. Because Romney is all for free-market solutions to social and economic problems.

Government Relations: Our government relations staff made more than one million contacts with elected officials in 2010, 14,715 of those contacts were one-on-one either in person, by phone, or by one-to-one emails.

Busy little non-profit.

About the organization from Reason Magz own...

http://heartland.org/media-library/pdfs/RadicalsforCapitalism479-480.pdf

About The Heartland Institute
from...
Radicals for Capitalism
Not all state and local libertarian think tanks arose from Fisher activism.
Chicago’s Heartland Institute arose in the early 1980’s from a group of local
libertarian business men, gathered by one-time Center for Libertarian Studies
and Cato board member David Padden as the Loop Libertarian League. They
financed local young libertarian Joseph Bast, then publishing one of the last
holdovers of small-circulation libertarian zines, Nomos.
Staunchly libertarian, Bast realized that to succeed in the finding
marketplace with a local focus, he would have to be studiedly fusionist,
concentrating on the free market issues where most conservatives and
libertarians could agree. “The conservatives had the money, and the
libertarians had the ideas,” he said. After some Illinois success Bast became
an Antony Fisher II, creating branch offices throughout the Midwest with
funding support from right-wing foundations such as Scaife.

Heartland has gained the endorsement of some of the top scholars, thinkers and politicians in the world – including Nobel Laureate Milton Friedman, former Czech Republic President Vaclav Klaus, Americans for Tax Reform’s Grover Norquist, radio talk show host and constitutional scholar Mark R. Levin, and conservative Sen. Jim DeMint (R-SC). See all the heavyweights who praise Heartland here.

Levin. Enough said.

From Wiki... (I know)

In 2012, internal documents leaked to the public disclosed some sources of the organization's funding, and included a "Climate Strategy Memo," which Heartland says is a forgery.[12]

kathy88
05-29-2012, 10:45 AM
only the most petty Paul-follower concerns will make it into the platform. And they shouldn't.

Strange quote from the Vice President of a Libertarian "think tank."

I can't comment for some reason. My screen looks all jacked up. Someone want to add this to a comment? Dude needs to be called out on his money grubbing shit. This company he represents takes cash from drug companies, etc... read the stuff I linked. And then to say none of Paul's concerns should make it into the party platform? Has the world gone mad?

SilenceDewgooder
05-29-2012, 10:45 AM
Every time I see an article that "reiterates" how Dr. Paul is someone's crazy uncle and that he can't win; I think to myself, if what they are saying is true, then there would be no reason to write the article.

"An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support. It is self sustained."

kuckfeynes
05-29-2012, 10:54 AM
Funny how they just can't wrap their heads around the fact that this is not just another team-building exercise.
Influencing a GOP-controlled platform is not the goal, never has been, couldn't care less about it.
That game has been played many times before and we know how much it means. Zilch.
This is a coup. And even if we're not successful, we are successful. Because we now have the infrastructure.
The GOP is a vessel, and that is the extent of its relevance and usefulness. Beyond that, screw 'em.

jkr
05-29-2012, 10:56 AM
THEY WANT RMONEY...they want him...to loose

jmdrake
05-29-2012, 11:44 AM
Wow, hard to believe this was from the Huffington Post since they are so liberal. What a bunch of garbage!

No surprise to me. Romney is just like Obama. Huffpo supports people who are just like Obama. Romney leading the GOP is a win/win for them.

devil21
05-29-2012, 12:09 PM
I like this article. It's just another sign that the insiders are worried. Why write and publish pieces like this if there's nothing to be concerned about?

febo
05-29-2012, 12:14 PM
hard to believe this was from the Huffington Post since they are so liberal.
No, the HoffPost has every reason to want RP out - he's the only one can beat that awful hypocrit they're owners support.
They are having a token dig at Obama at the moment - they've been all over him ref marijuana - its just thier way of convincing themselves they are not sellouts.

FSP-Rebel
05-29-2012, 12:36 PM
Only Ron has the power to make them squirm, instill fear and cause them nightmares. All that coming from a 76 yo country doctor bolstered by a massive remnant of unshakable Patriots. Paul is just sitting back with his poker face on letting his aces (us) do his bidding >passion>enthusiasm>organization>#winning>liberty.
http://i45.tinypic.com/2dui9li.jpg

Original_Intent
05-29-2012, 12:40 PM
When the Huffington Post leaps to the defense of the GOP, be afraid. The two sides of the same coin are exposed.

georgiaboy
05-29-2012, 01:05 PM
Yep, we are definitely striking a nerve, the root, etc. This article is evidence that we are on the right track.

CaptainAmerica
05-29-2012, 01:06 PM
If the republican party no longer believes in allowing an election in which a nominee is selected then they should just select someone and forget about even having a republic at all.

sailingaway
05-29-2012, 01:09 PM
They know Ron is agitating those on the LEFT fed up with Obama on indefinite detention etc as much as the right. I noted in a comment that may not be approved that Ron dropping out would do little to help the country he loves if he, like many of us, view Obama and Romney as virtually the same.

John F Kennedy III
05-29-2012, 01:16 PM

Romney is a liberal.

jbauer
05-29-2012, 01:23 PM
Its an observation we've all had, just out of curiosity though has ANYONE seen an article about Santorum or Gingrich in the past talking about their loyal followers?

I like this article. It's just another sign that the insiders are worried. Why write and publish pieces like this if there's nothing to be concerned about?

wgadget
05-29-2012, 01:41 PM
They forgot the most fun part if all: exposing in front of a national audience how much Romney's platform is like Obama's platform. The GA GOP NDAA amendment comes to mind.

febo
05-29-2012, 01:44 PM
They know Ron is agitating those on the LEFT fed up with Obama on indefinite detention etc as much as the right. I noted in a comment that may not be approved that Ron dropping out would do little to help the country he loves if he, like many of us, view Obama and Romney as virtually the same.

Yes, by RP's own standards and definitions he is obliged not to drop out.
If he drops out, if he does not push the campaign as far as possible, he's failing to defend the constituion. He's failed himself.

DRFilms1
05-29-2012, 02:31 PM
I'm sure HuffPo and the rest of the MSM that got Obama elected in 08 would like nothing better than to have Romney as the GOP nominee. They probably recently realized that Paul could actually win with unbound delegates, so they wrote this. We need to let the Repubs that are backing Romney but hate the MSM and especially HuffPo know that Huff wants Romney as it's nominee.

The Goat
05-29-2012, 02:47 PM
I think their trying to inflame the republicans against Paul supporters and keep the Paul supporters encouraged. The left wants to see a conflict at the Republican convention as much as Paul supporter do. XD

Badger Paul
05-29-2012, 02:53 PM
"stretched a routine pre-election meeting out to hours beyond its normal length in an effort to force the acceptance of a handful of Paul delegates who couldn't impact the eventual nominee whatever happens. "

Poor baby.

I'll say it again, if Romney wants the endorsement he has to 1). Fire all his foreign policy advisers and replace them with realists/Paulites; 2). Promise in blood he will not nominate John Bolton, Joe Lieberman or any neocon to any staff position in the State Department NSC or the Defense Department.

Austrian Econ Disciple
05-29-2012, 03:04 PM
Seethed and oozed Party Apparatchik. He's probably having the luxurious life-style and is doing everything he can to feed his parasitical masters who shovel to him scrappings of the plunder. This man is the intelligentsia that we fight daily. Heartland Institute, what a joke.

devil21
05-29-2012, 04:18 PM
There's only one thing left to do.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Tp55eSBxKk

paulpwns
05-29-2012, 04:24 PM
The irony is that Heartland Institute advertises in the Young American Revolution magazine. ;p

JK/SEA
05-29-2012, 04:42 PM
I think their trying to inflame the republicans against Paul supporters and keep the Paul supporters encouraged. The left wants to see a conflict at the Republican convention as much as Paul supporter do. XD

hmmm...i like the way you think.

+rep