PDA

View Full Version : Article: The once and future Ron Paul

SilenceDewgooder
05-29-2012, 08:36 AM
http://www.stardem.com/opinion/article_b38d2dca-c3e2-5957-b7e5-3ad3f8c4c0af.html

The once and future Ron Paul

Ninety-two years ago, H.P. Lovecraft wrote a story called "The Terrible Old Man." The title pretty much sums up mainstream Republicans' attitude toward Ron Paul, the feistiest, longest-lasting challenger in Mitt Romney's quest for the GOP presidential nomination. Long after Romney's other foes had surrendered, Paul was still in there fighting.

And making the GOP establishment squirm.

Paul, a congressman from Texas, drove social conservatives batty by railing against the war on drugs and deriding attempts at the federal level to outlaw gay marriage. He questioned why government even issues marriage licenses.

He angered hawks by slamming the Patriot Act, ridiculing neocons who urged war with Iran, and calling for deep cuts in military spending and the closing of overseas military bases.

The GOP base found him terrible, all right. And terrifying.

While Romney drew polite crowds, Paul drew cheering throngs filled with young people who discovered the 76-year-old had something new to say. Party faithful worried what would happen if he made a third-party run.

Conservative icon George Will was so worried he wrote a column last December warning that if Paul broke from the pack, he could tilt the election to Barack Obama. Will crunched the numbers state by state. "A Paul (third-party) candidacy," he wrote, "would make 2012 much easier for Obama than 2008 was."

Alas, that's a candidacy we probably won't see. Paul announced he will stop campaigning in upcoming primaries and caucuses. His campaign chairman, Jesse Benton, wrote: "Our delegate total will not be strong enough to win the nomination. However, our delegates can still make a major impact at the (Republican) National Convention and beyond."

We'll miss the congressman's active participation in the presidential contest. Other candidates talk about government and how they would steer it and allocate resources. Paul talked about freedom.

Tinnuhana
05-29-2012, 08:51 AM
You can't win, Darth. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."

Butchie
05-29-2012, 09:03 AM
Why do people have to bring gay marriage into everything, that or abortion, especially when referring to Ron, they always make it try to sound like he supports gay marriage or something, I realize that's not what this article was saying, but it's how people take it and when I was trying to speak to people about Ron I hear that alot, "Doesn't he support gay marriage?" or "I heard he supports abortion", those are not his positions.

Elwar
05-29-2012, 10:04 AM
Why do people have to bring gay marriage into everything, that or abortion, especially when referring to Ron, they always make it try to sound like he supports gay marriage or something, I realize that's not what this article was saying, but it's how people take it and when I was trying to speak to people about Ron I hear that alot, "Doesn't he support gay marriage?" or "I heard he supports abortion", those are not his positions.

Gay marriage laws will be the deciding factor on whether our country lives or dies.

China and the rest of the world will likely forgive our $18 trillion debt, our Social Security and Medicaid will become solvent and our budget will become balanced once the proper decision is made on the gay marriage issue. Until then, we are looking at some challenges.

ClydeCoulter
05-29-2012, 12:05 PM

It the only way they are allowed to talk about Ron. Going to loose (before the first vote is cast), supports and doesn't support gay marriage (depending on whether a left or right rag), supports or doesn't support abortion (also depending on the rags flop over direction), is racist, is isolationist (oops I didn't know there was a difference in non-inter....something and isolationism), etc...

Why, because they were told so but the highest authorities in the land... And why were they told? Because they like the way things are, you can steal without touching, you can degrade without suit, it's all so slick nothing will stick to anything, and it will all eventually slide right into a big mucky pile of slimeballs and shit.

Unless, We the People continue to rise up with our 2nd, 3rd, 4th wind and clean it all up, just wear you close pin on the nose and take a deep breath before stepping in with the shovels.

kathy88
05-29-2012, 12:08 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Elwar again.

Occam's Banana
05-29-2012, 12:41 PM
Ninety-two years ago, H.P. Lovecraft wrote a story called "The Terrible Old Man." The title pretty much sums up mainstream Republicans' attitude toward Ron Paul [...]

And everything else Lovecraft wrote pretty much sums up mainstream Republicans. Iä! Iä! Cthulhu Fhtagn!

Butchie
05-29-2012, 01:00 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Elwar again.

OT, but what does this mean, I see users post this and I have never understood it.

Butchie
05-29-2012, 01:01 PM
It the only way they are allowed to talk about Ron. Going to loose (before the first vote is cast), supports and doesn't support gay marriage (depending on whether a left or right rag), supports or doesn't support abortion (also depending on the rags flop over direction), is racist, is isolationist (oops I didn't know there was a difference in non-inter....something and isolationism), etc...

Why, because they were told so but the highest authorities in the land... And why were they told? Because they like the way things are, you can steal without touching, you can degrade without suit, it's all so slick nothing will stick to anything, and it will all eventually slide right into a big mucky pile of slimeballs and shit.

Unless, We the People continue to rise up with our 2nd, 3rd, 4th wind and clean it all up, just wear you close pin on the nose and take a deep breath before stepping in with the shovels.

Yeah, this is what I was getting at, I just wish people would stop talking about those issues altogether since they are so divicive, but especially with Ron cuz his views on these issues are so confusing to people on the right and left, and as you say, each side accusses him of being this or that however it best helps the narrative they are trying to paint.

Gay marriage laws will be the deciding factor on whether our country lives or dies.

China and the rest of the world will likely forgive our $18 trillion debt, our Social Security and Medicaid will become solvent and our budget will become balanced once the proper decision is made on the gay marriage issue. Until then, we are looking at some challenges.

You hit the nail on the head lol.

devil21
05-29-2012, 01:06 PM
OT, but what does this mean, I see users post this and I have never understood it.

That little "star of David" icon is the rep button. If you like a post, click it to give rep to the poster. If you've recently repped that poster then the forum software will tell you to spread some around first before repping same poster again.

alucard13mmfmj
05-29-2012, 01:10 PM
I dont get it. "Gayness" and abortions has been around for thousands of years. It is a fruitless battle in which we spend our resources on. It will always be a even fight with no end in sight. Ron dissaproves of gayness and abortions, but knows he can't really make it illegal for neither.

I think someone should make a pill that prevents egg and sperm from binding to form a zygote. For some people, zygote is a "person", but if a zygote never forms.. no problem right? Millions of guys right now is probably masterbating and expelling quadrillions of sperm right now and millions of females are having their periods. All that dead sperm and egg does not constitute as murder right? Problem solved, prevent zygote formation. If you think sperm and egg are people... then every cell in your body is a "person".

Anyways... our elections are as credible as China's (har har har har).