PDA

View Full Version : Abraham Lincoln;"Smoking A Pipe of Sweet Hemp & Playing My Harmonica" (all-time favorites)

Constitutional Paulicy
05-28-2012, 12:08 PM
Title says it all.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZuDlfa6pgM&feature=plcp

phill4paul
05-28-2012, 12:13 PM
DON'T legalize it...
DE-Criminalize it......

kuckfeynes
05-28-2012, 12:28 PM
I don't get the distinction. Legalize means tax, and decriminalize means don't tax?
If so does that mean everything I do and buy that is taxed is technically not legalized?

revned
05-28-2012, 12:39 PM
I actually understand it the other way, myself. Decriminalization I thought meant that they could regulate and tax it and full legalization meant that you could basically grow the shit in mass quantity and no one could tell you how or where it is to be done.

At any rate, I'm all for fully unregulated drugs of all kinds. It should be up to the individual to educate themselves, if he or she doesn't take the time to research, then he or she must not care about their life enough to find out if the substance is worth using.

talkingpointes
05-28-2012, 12:42 PM
I actually understand it the other way, myself. Decriminalization I thought meant that they could regulate and tax it and full legalization meant that you could basically grow the shit in mass quantity and no one could tell you how or where it is to be done.

Decriminalization would still leave the selling to the drug cartels and they can't tax or regulate that. Legalization makes it a product under the jurisdiction of the regulatory agencies, state now and federal later.

revned
05-28-2012, 12:54 PM
I don't get how legalization makes it a product under jurisdiction, that would mean that it's regulated, right?

I've never had anyone thoroughly explain the difference, but I always understood legalization as it being completely free of any regulation whatsoever.

DerailingDaTrain
05-28-2012, 01:39 PM
If I remember correctly that quote has been found to be false. (It may have come from someone else, just not Lincoln)

In the full quote they mention a certain type of harmonica which supposedly didn't come out until years after Lincoln's death.

My 2 cents: Legalize it. No government involvement in telling people what they can and can't put into their bodies. That's just how I feel. People can argue all they want over the tax aspect.

Full quote: “Two of my favorite things are sitting on my front porch smoking a pipe of sweet hemp, and playing my Hohner harmonica.” – Abraham Lincoln

Anyway, no matter how much hemp he smoked, "Honest Abe" wasn't a very good president.

kuckfeynes
05-28-2012, 01:50 PM
If I remember correctly that quote has been found to be false. (It may have come from someone else, just not Lincoln)

In the full quote they mention a certain type of harmonica which supposedly didn't come out until years after Lincoln's death.

My 2 cents: Legalize it. No government involvement in telling people what they can and can't put into their bodies. That's just how I feel. People can argue all they want over the tax aspect.

I agree, taxed or not won't directly affect me one way or the other. I left that kind of life behind a while ago.

But that's not the first time I've seen someone make the distinction between "legalize" and "decriminalize," so I figured I'd better get it straightened out.

I certainly don't want to be arguing for a person's right to choose what to put in their body, and unintentionally be suggesting taxation and regulation along with it!

Drex
05-28-2012, 01:55 PM
I wish I would've grown up in that era..

heavenlyboy34
05-28-2012, 02:01 PM

Full quote: “Two of my favorite things are sitting on my front porch smoking a pipe of sweet hemp, and playing my Hohner harmonica.” – Abraham Lincoln

Anyway, no matter how much hemp he smoked, "Honest Abe" wasn't a very good president.
Hohner began in 1857. I play Hohners primarily and they're my favorite overall. :)

Shane Harris
05-28-2012, 02:15 PM
would he have got high from smoking what he smoked? is he talking about actual hemp or hemp generally as in the hemp plant?

kuckfeynes
05-28-2012, 02:20 PM
Another thing to remember, if the quote is accurate, people of his era would not have been smoking "the dank." Even if it was the buds of the plant, as far as active THC content, it was probably closer to actual hemp than modern-day pot. Much milder and less pleasant buzz, assuming he even inhaled, which a tobacco pipe smoker would not instinctively do. And if it was actual hemp, then he wouldn't have been getting any THC at all.

specsaregood
05-28-2012, 02:26 PM
Another thing to remember, if the quote is accurate, people of his era would not have been smoking "the dank." Even if it was the buds of the plant, as far as active THC content, it was probably closer to actual hemp than modern-day pot. Much milder and less pleasant buzz, assuming he even inhaled, which a tobacco pipe smoker would not instinctively do. And if it was actual hemp, then he wouldn't have been getting any THC at all.

Not necessarily, they have found archeological evidence that man was growing hemp/marijuana and selectively breeding it for its mental effects over 2700 years ago.

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
05-28-2012, 02:27 PM
I don't get the distinction. Legalize means tax, and decriminalize means don't tax?
If so does that mean everything I do and buy that is taxed is technically not legalized?
The king once owned all the property both the public and the private. As the first born customarily went into the employment of the king, the second born went into the service of the Church. The rest of the children were abandoned to figuring out how to survive. As it was illegal to go about the business of survival on land owned by the king, he used lawyers to penalize them. This became known as a tax. As the people own all the land in the United States, a tax is supposed to be a necessary evil implemented in the best interest of the people just as the government and the president are supposed to be serving us.

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
05-28-2012, 02:32 PM

At any rate, I'm all for fully unregulated drugs of all kinds. It should be up to the individual to educate themselves, if he or she doesn't take the time to research, then he or she must not care about their life enough to find out if the substance is worth using.

The whole issue is a distraction. Compared to what our Founders declared as a natural law, this is nonsense.

mad cow
05-28-2012, 02:49 PM
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." [Abraham Lincoln]

impaleddead
05-28-2012, 02:53 PM

Wrong - Hemp has always been divided into fiber and flower breeds since it's domestication, the flower breeds being the sweet hemp or toothache hemp as it was commonly called back then, and selected for it's effects smoked or made into tinctures.

Totally THC free modern fiber hemp breeds are relatively new and are the result of prohibition. Even the fiber producing lines would have an effect if smoked back in the day.

AFAIK the Lincoln quote isn't real

"An acre of the best ground for hemp, is to be selected and sewn in hemp and be kept for a permanent hemp patch." - Thomas Jefferson's Garden book 1849

"Make the most of the Indian hemp seed, and sow it everywhere!" -George Washington, The Writings of George Washington Volume 33, page 270 (Library of Congress), 1794

heavenlyboy34
05-28-2012, 03:00 PM
The king once owned all the property both the public and the private. As the first born customarily went into the employment of the king, the second born went into the service of the Church. The rest of the children were abandoned to figuring out how to survive. As it was illegal to go about the business of survival on land owned by the king, he used lawyers to penalize them. This became known as a tax. As the people own all the land in the United States, a tax is supposed to be a necessary evil implemented in the best interest of the people just as the government and the president are supposed to be serving us.
Incorrect. A LOT of land is Federally owned, some state owned. If I get around to it, I'll dig up some maps for you. Grand Canyon national park, for example is government land. No person can buy it legally.

heavenlyboy34
05-28-2012, 03:04 PM
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." [Abraham Lincoln]
lolz :D

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
05-28-2012, 05:40 PM
Incorrect. A LOT of land is Federally owned, some state owned. If I get around to it, I'll dig up some maps for you. Grand Canyon national park, for example is government land. No person can buy it legally.

This has nothing to do with the Washingtonians. I'm speaking public property versus private property. There is private property in this nation. At one time, there existed no such thing as the king owned all property both private and public. One could share property with the king. One could even make a profit for the king by working the peasants on his property and then penalizing their sorry common asses for being born (for emphisis)!

UWDude
05-28-2012, 05:47 PM

that's gold. LoL

heavenlyboy34
05-28-2012, 06:14 PM
This has nothing to do with the Washingtonians. I'm speaking public property versus private property. There is private property in this nation. At one time, there existed no such thing as the king owned all property both private and public. One could share property with the king. One could even make a profit for the king by working the peasants on his property and then penalizing their sorry common asses for being born (for emphisis)!
This is a relic of old. In our modern, post-republic era, all property is subject to government law. We still even have to deal with the tyranny of Eminent Domain laws.

Although it is true that people in Kingdoms did not typically own property, they were also not subject to the modern Warfare State. Kings of old knew that the property in their kingdom could be destroyed if they acted recklessly, and were thus kept in check. (See "Democracy, The God That Failed" by H.H. Hoppe) Kings also typically rode into battle with their armies. Today, the politicians hide safely behind government walls while they send other people's kids to die for irrational causes.

brushfire
05-28-2012, 06:15 PM
I wish I would've grown up in that era..

During the civil war? More liberty lovers would have been nice - perhaps some of what we see today could have been "nipped in the bud?" (no pun intended)

Pauls' Revere
05-28-2012, 06:18 PM

He had great foresight!

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
05-28-2012, 06:52 PM
This is a relic of old. In our modern, post-republic era, all property is subject to government law. We still even have to deal with the tyranny of Eminent Domain laws.

Although it is true that people in Kingdoms did not typically own property, they were also not subject to the modern Warfare State. Kings of old knew that the property in their kingdom could be destroyed if they acted recklessly, and were thus kept in check. (See "Democracy, The God That Failed" by H.H. Hoppe) Kings also typically rode into battle with their armies. Today, the politicians hide safely behind government walls while they send other people's kids to die for irrational causes.

The rise of man? Glorious change? Our Founding Fathers stood on a foundation rooted in Greek philosophy, blessed by Christ, and recovered in the "Universities of Europe. President Obama stands on a foundation of slick campaign advisors, a butt load of greedy lawyers, and, worse yet, shallow people like Hillary Clinton.

*The universities were created to unravel the mysteries of the Greek philosophers. This happened after the 12th century ACE.

heavenlyboy34
05-28-2012, 06:57 PM
The rise of man? Glorious change? Our Founding Fathers stood on a foundation rooted in Greek philosophy, blessed by Christ, and recovered in the "Universities of Europe. President Obama stands on a foundation of slick campaign advisors, a butt load of greedy lawyers, and, worse yet, shallow people like Hillary Clinton.

*The universities were created to unravel the mysteries of the Greek philosophers. This happened after the 12th century ACE.
And what does that have to do with the price of rice in China?

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
05-29-2012, 12:34 AM
And what does that have to do with the price of rice in China?

You speak from the point of view of the rise of man. Not from the fall of man.