PDA

View Full Version : Snapp Shots: Romney stuck in Valley of the Zombies

sailingaway
05-27-2012, 07:49 PM
Ever hear of the Valley of the Zombies?

No, not the cheesy 1946 British horror flick of the same name. I mean a term coined by robotics professor Masahiro Mori in 1970 -- sometimes called "the Uncanny Valley" -- to describe a peculiar phenomenon of human perception.

His theory, which is all the rage among robotics experts and 3-D computer animators, goes like this: We love to anthropomorphize other creatures, right? (Think of all the people who call their dogs or cats their "kids.") And the more these creatures look like us, the cuter they seem. Imagine a graph with resemblance to people on the X axis and cuteness on the Y axis, and the curve will be a straight 45-degree line.

Until they start looking a little bit TOO much like us, that is. Then, all of a sudden, adorable becomes creepy, and the line on the graph takes a precipitous dip.

Think of the Frankenstein monster. Or the undead in "Night of the Living Dead." Or, for that matter, zombies.
They're much more repulsive than, say, the Wolfman, the Blob or the Beast from 50,000 Fathoms. It's that eerie, almost-but-not-quite resemblance that makes your flesh crawl.

And that brings us to Mitt Romney.

more at link

http://www.contracostatimes.com/columns/ci_20282149/snapp-shots-romney-stuck-valley-zombies

It goes all collectivist and creepy at the end, but the beginning is good enough to post...

paulbot24
05-27-2012, 09:25 PM
"I admit I'm talking style, not substance. But what do you think gets people elected?" - from the above article. This drives me crazy with the Saturday night bingo crowd. Why would they rather elect a hairstyle than an ideal? At this rate, we'll just American Idol the next president in. If only Ron Paul knew how to play the guitar. It's funny and maddening. Fine, it's just maddening.

J_White
05-27-2012, 10:22 PM
At this rate, we'll just American Idol the next president in. If only Ron Paul knew how to play the guitar. It's funny and maddening. Fine, it's just maddening.

thats what i fear too !! whoever looks good, can give a nice rhetorical speech but has no principles, can be the next President.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
05-28-2012, 11:42 AM
thats what i fear too !! whoever looks good, can give a nice rhetorical speech but has no principles, can be the next President.

It's a lot more rigged than that, but yeah, that's the kind of figurehead they like.

kuckfeynes
05-28-2012, 11:55 AM
Individuals have principles. People in general just have stimulus and response...