PDA

View Full Version : Will there be a money bomb to help national delegates with costs?

Carlybee
05-27-2012, 11:29 AM
I read somewhere about the Texas state convention that delegates going to Tampa have to give them a credit card number I guess to prove that they can afford the cost of staying in Tampa and it said the costs can be up to $2000 per delegate. Was wondering if this might keep some people from going and if there should be an effort to offset costs for those who may find it a hardship. I have no clue how that would be handled as it would probably have to be on a case by case basis. Anyhoo..just putting it out there.

sailingaway
05-27-2012, 11:42 AM
There needs to be something, chip ins or whatever. There were chip ins last time.

sailingaway
05-27-2012, 11:43 AM
I read somewhere about the Texas state convention that delegates going to Tampa have to give them a credit card number I guess to prove that they can afford the cost of staying in Tampa and it said the costs can be up to $2000 per delegate. Was wondering if this might keep some people from going and if there should be an effort to offset costs for those who may find it a hardship. I have no clue how that would be handled as it would probably have to be on a case by case basis. Anyhoo..just putting it out there.

they pulled that in AK as well, with no warning and a bunch of students didn't have it on them. That was the POINT of doing it, I am certain. No way are they worried we won't SHOW UP.

And for that matter there is nothing saying they can't carpool and crash on someone's couch in Tampa, in the rules. But yes, we need to have chip ins, with or without a money bomb.

Carlybee
05-27-2012, 11:52 AM
I guess we would need to hear from some of them to gauge what the need is.

Lightweis
05-27-2012, 11:55 AM
I'm going to need money! I spent all mine getting elected

Carlybee
05-27-2012, 12:00 PM
I'm going to need money! I spent all mine getting elected

have you already booked a place to stay?

Carlybee
05-27-2012, 12:01 PM
I wonder if it would be possible or desired to collect enough to pay for a block of rooms?

sailingaway
05-27-2012, 12:05 PM
I wonder if it would be possible or desired to collect enough to pay for a block of rooms?

I don't know if the rooms exist as a block. I am for supporting the delegates, but don't know the best way to manage it. For CPAC people found cheap room sites on transportation and posted them and people shopped their own tickets and came up with the lowest cost they could and people did chip ins. The smallest chip ins filled first, so there is incentive to try to keep the price down.

Lightweis
05-27-2012, 12:06 PM
have you already booked a place to stay?

No I'm not sure what to do!!

Carlybee
05-27-2012, 12:30 PM
I don't know if the rooms exist as a block. I am for supporting the delegates, but don't know the best way to manage it. For CPAC people found cheap room sites on transportation and posted them and people shopped their own tickets and came up with the lowest cost they could and people did chip ins. The smallest chip ins filled first, so there is incentive to try to keep the price down.

If we could determine need and assuming those in need have a way to actually get there, I was thinking if we paid for the rooms in advance (which needs to be done asap because I'm guessing they are already filling up), then it would guarantee that at least they have a place to stay and much more incentive to show up and easier to handle than trying to send money to each individual but I don't know. Just something to discuss but still need to determine how many are in danger of not going due to cost issues. It would be a shame after everything if the RP delegates weren't able to make as strong a showing as possible and I know some of these delegates may or may not be prepared for the cost involved.

Carlybee
05-27-2012, 12:30 PM
No I'm not sure what to do!! That's hopefully the point in this discussion...hang in there! I just looked at DP and apparently some have started chipins there. http://www.dailypaul.com/231468/providing-financial-assistance-for-delegates

FSP-Rebel
05-27-2012, 12:34 PM
That's bs if they make folks give cc #s, it shouldn't matter if someone has money or not. Either they figure out a way to fund themselves or that's what alternates are for. Heck, if the TX GOP actually gives that much of a crap about making sure their delegates are seated, then they should alleviate some of the expenses for them. Fantasyland, I know.

truthhope
05-27-2012, 12:41 PM
likewise I am low on funds ill find out on June 5th if I am officially going to tampa or not (South Dakota primary) but with all the work we are putting in I hope I get to go! And I booked a room a little closer than the hotel they want us to stay in and its cheaper I think, I got it for around 75 a night.

Carlybee
05-27-2012, 01:03 PM
I will try to keep this bumped and maybe more will come forward and we can figure out what to do. Also since the campaign said that the last moneybomb would go toward delegate operations maybe we should see if they can help too.

ricket
05-27-2012, 01:17 PM
Walk (I'd start now if you're a long way from the convention center!), sleep outside the convention hall, and look for free scraps of food from area restaurants if you have to. This will cost you nothing. They 'estimate' the costs because if I'm not mistaken the recommended hotel to stay at for the convention is an expensive 4+ star hotel. Including airfare, meals, etc, that's just an estimate. You could do it for much cheaper if you pack lunches, take a bus/train, etc.

By the way, this was for the state of GA where the estimates were given for going to the RNC. They said "on average" people spend $2,000-$2,500 so 'be prepared'. However, different states have different rules, but they will do whatever they can and change whatever they can at the last minute to make sure RP doesn't face Obama in November.

If there were a delegate fund for RP supporters I would be willing to donate, however, I'm weary of donating to a stranger to help offset the costs, but I am willing to help a RP supporter get to the RNC if there was a legit means for me to help out.

sailingaway
05-27-2012, 01:19 PM
likewise I am low on funds ill find out on June 5th if I am officially going to tampa or not (South Dakota primary) but with all the work we are putting in I hope I get to go! And I booked a room a little closer than the hotel they want us to stay in and its cheaper I think, I got it for around 75 a night.

sharing the name of those hotels could be helpful but we should probably have a subforum for it so others don't snatch them up. We did a good job of that with other events.

Carlybee
05-27-2012, 01:21 PM
I agree there needs to be a way to insure funds would go to delegates or alternates and that the money would be used for actual expenses.

Carlybee
05-27-2012, 01:27 PM
What is up with this? The GOP is determining where delegations stay? http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/04/30/2776208/fla-delegates-put-in-hotels-far.html

sailingaway
05-27-2012, 01:30 PM
they block rooms for delegates so they can be together but I'm not aware that they can make you use those. It may vary by state, depending on what you sign, though, I don't know.

Carlybee
05-27-2012, 01:31 PM
Maybe that's just for certain committee members

Carlybee
05-27-2012, 01:35 PM
Airlines and hotels sell gift cards to be used for travel and accommodations.

truthhope
05-27-2012, 01:50 PM
let me know where I should post it and I will tell you where I booked my hotel at.

Carlybee
05-27-2012, 01:53 PM
Okay...just putting this up as a discussion thread. It may be that the delegates themselves need to a)identify their needs and b)suggest some ideas to accomplish that to the best benefit.

cajuncocoa
05-27-2012, 01:59 PM
I read somewhere about the Texas state convention that delegates going to Tampa have to give them a credit card number I guess to prove that they can afford the cost of staying in Tampa and it said the costs can be up to $2000 per delegate. Was wondering if this might keep some people from going and if there should be an effort to offset costs for those who may find it a hardship. I have no clue how that would be handled as it would probably have to be on a case by case basis. Anyhoo..just putting it out there.This is a GREAT idea!

I'll definitely contribute to this...it seems like THE priority right now, so whenever someone sets up the chip-in, I'm in!

KevinYeaux
05-27-2012, 04:15 PM
What is up with this? The GOP is determining where delegations stay? http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/04/30/2776208/fla-delegates-put-in-hotels-far.html

The GOP reserves blocks of rooms for all delegates, you still have to pay the hotel they choose though. I doubt you HAVE to use the GOP's rooms, but good luck finding rooms in/near Tampa that week. In addition to the thousands of rooms the GOP reserved, don't forget the thousands of media and staff that have to be in town too.

I would hope that the national campaign would be helping delegates with logistics...

sailingaway
05-27-2012, 04:38 PM
The GOP reserves blocks of rooms for all delegates, you still have to pay the hotel they choose though. I doubt you HAVE to use the GOP's rooms, but good luck finding rooms in/near Tampa that week. In addition to the thousands of rooms the GOP reserved, don't forget the thousands of media and staff that have to be in town too.

I would hope that the national campaign would be helping delegates with logistics...

I don't think they are allowed to. Alaska pulled this thing where they were actually supposed to PAY at the caucus and while we only lost some caucuses because of it, along the way the campaign tried to offer to pay and the party passed a rule against it, they said. In AK, anyhow.

But I understand we are holding a rules meeting up there shortly, now that we ARE the AK GOP.

parocks
05-27-2012, 04:57 PM

I would assume that requiring a credit card would keep people who can't afford to go to Tampa from going to Tampa. I don't think that requiring a credit card would keep Ron Paul from getting delegates, only that the Ron Paul delegates can afford to go without asking for money. I would hope that having money would be a factor in the Ron Paul Campaigns decision making.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
05-27-2012, 05:36 PM
I have committed to hosting at least 8 delegates at my home for X days needed.

I'm trying to maximize effectiveness, so I can't host 8 families, but if there were a situation where someone is coming with 1 child, I'm sure I could hack it.

I can't provide shuttle service and can't provide actual beds, but I have a pull out bed as well as a few air mattresses, etc. I have a little girl who will sleep in my bed during this time if needed, so that opens up her bed plus a pull out from her bed. I'm not sure how to allocate these things, but I'd like to allocate them based on need.

I won't be a 4 star hotel, but I'll be a luxury activist crash pad.

Carlybee
05-27-2012, 07:38 PM
I see Colorado has a delegate chip in Facebook page that looks pretty organized.

Carlybee
05-28-2012, 11:29 AM
Doesn't seem to be much interest in this or really a good way to organize it. I did some searches yesterday and there are some individual states who are organizing their own chipins online or on Facebook so I guess it's a better idea to try and find out what your state is doing, if anything and if not then come back here and post an individual thread for a chip in as Sailingaway suggested has been done in the past. Here is the link to the FEC rules for National Convention Delegate fundraising also that you should probably read: http://www.fec.gov/pages/brochures/delegate.shtml

If anyone sets up their own chipin or joins a chipin on another site, let us know so we can contribute.

Scott_in_PA
05-28-2012, 12:44 PM
Three of us ran in CD18 and one is going to Tampa.

Brian asked me to post this chipin here and I'm more than happy too.

http://delegatepa18.blogspot.com/

He's a good guy and will represent the cause well.
It appears the PA delegation is on the hook for 1800.00 for registration and the hotel.
Please give if you can. It will be money spent on a guaranteed vote for Ron.

Imperial
05-28-2012, 05:30 PM
I am a likely candidate for delegate or alternate from my CD in Texas (vote at the state convention), and money is a major issue. Paying for this in its entirety would burn up my entire savings, which would leave me a broke college student with no money for the year. So if I do win, I expect a chipin to go up.

FSP-Rebel
05-28-2012, 05:44 PM
The people that are organizing specific CDs should (at least they did here in Mich) have a slate of national dels and alts that the entire RP contingent (in each CD) votes for and those folks would be more established as far as money is concerned. There was no way I would put myself up for nat'l del considering I'm younger and not well off. That said, if I don't have to shell out $2.5k to go it's easier for me to help fray the cost for those who can but are just somewhat short of the full amount. Point being, if the campaign isn't going to help (not sure) then we can't be slating people to go to Tampa that need major financial support. $2k+ times however many people need help=OMG. That said, I'll do my part to help those truly in need.

These aren't exactly CPAC chipins

drummergirl
05-28-2012, 06:25 PM
Just so you know the law...

The RPT cannot MAKE you put up $2000 on a credit card at the convention in Fort Worth to reserve your delegate spot. They WILL ask you to, and make it sound like you need to do it for 2 reasons. 1) discourage Ron Paul people from running since many are students, young, etc. 2) They like to portray a picture of wealth and abundance in the Texas GOP - matching blazers, 4 star hotel rooms all together, etc.

To require any of this would violate the voting rights act as a poll tax. So it is absolutely not required. You need 2 things to be a delegate in Tampa 1) the majority of votes in your congressional district 2) the ability to show up.

Heck, you could arrive on a bicycle, sleep in a tent, and show up in your bike shorts and a t-shirt if you wish.

I am a likely candidate for delegate or alternate from my CD in Texas (vote at the state convention), and money is a major issue. Paying for this in its entirety would burn up my entire savings, which would leave me a broke college student with no money for the year. So if I do win, I expect a chipin to go up.

drummergirl
05-28-2012, 06:26 PM
Also, keep in mind if you are chosen to be a Paul delegate to Tampa from your state convention, you'll have 6-8 weeks to raise funds.

Lindsey
05-28-2012, 06:28 PM
Thoughts for helping delegates, other than providing cash:

Maybe someone has airline miles or hotel points that they can donate.
Most hotels have rooms with 2 beds - maybe you can arrange room sharing. It's only for a few nights.
Shared car rentals/taxi/shuttle with people landing at the airport around the same time - a cab from the airport to USF ran me $38+tip (in 2007.)